What is better?

Options
Should I bump up the resistance on my elliptical, or bump up my time on it?

Replies

• surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    A physician I was talking to recently suggested interval training is best. Most ellipticals have programmed workouts in them involving interval training (with increased resistance) so I would try that.
  • lauraandmonsters
    lauraandmonsters Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mine does, thanks I will give it a try.
  • maimden
    maimden Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always say go for time if the resistance is too hard to handle, but personally tend to go for harder faster.. I want to get home at the end of my day!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    & I like longer time with increased heart rate, so I guess that would mean 5 or 6 on the elliptical for 40minutes @ 155-165 heart rate....works for me:love:
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    Im all for interval training once or twice a week.

but studies have proven that working out at 65% of max heart rate burns 85% fat calories, where as 70-85% of your max heart rate only burns 50% fat calories......
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    yes but thats 50% of a much larger amount total energy usage. So its still more total fat burnt.
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    yes but thats 50% of a much larger amount total energy usage. So its still more total fat burnt.

If one is focused on maintaining muscle mass to achieve the tone look. I would opt for my advice. But, you are correct in your thinking. If it is overall fat/weight loss your after, then cardio is the answer.....I just get burned out trying to go hard every single day. This usually leads to ultimate failure of diet and exercise in my opinion. People get tired, and burned out of having to consitently make the "all out" commitment to there workouts.

As for me- I'm down 12 lbs in 7 weeks, walking 45 minutes a day 4 times a week at 65% of my max hr, and havn't losed an inch of mass. I also do 1-2 HIIT training sessions, with one lifting day. I am about to go to 3x week 65% hr, with 2 lift sessions and 1-2 HIIT training..

I enjoy knowing that 4x a week, i don't have to "bring it" to the gym, and still achieve my goals....makes longevity and motivation a sinch...

everybody has there ways though