Running shoes, what do you recommend

I walk about an hour a day (I have a very hyper active dog who needs it), but I'm trying to start running again. I have a lot of friends who do these 5K's and I'd love to be able to join. Well I NEED new shoes (my tread is barely there, and my soles are falling apart). Well I'm going shoe shopping tomorrow and would like to know what people recommend.

Replies

• ChevyLu
    ChevyLu Posts: 2 Member
    My personal trainer highly recommended Asics. Though they are a bit pricey, by my standards, I decided that if I was going to do this whole health thing , I might as well do it right. I am not disappointed in the shoes.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Go to a store where they will "fit" you for shoes. Historically I had always had issues with running and shin splints, last year was the first time I was fitted for shoes and it made such a huge difference. Mine are brooks, I love them. Also, running shoes should be replaced every 250-450 miles (depending on quality, materials, etc).
  • phooey43
    phooey43 Posts: 27 Member
    More importantly than brand is the kind of shoe you'll need. If would definitely be in your best interest to do some research. Things you should know would be: Your arch are you normal, flat or high, does your foot roll in or out as you walk? underpronate or overpronate. If you go to runnersworld.com website they have a great shoefinder under shoes and gear tab
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    I recommend going to a store that specializes in running shoes and get fitted there by someone who knows what they're doing (avid runner themselves). Let them fit you. Once you've done this many times (over the years) you'll get to know what you need and can then judge for yourself. Brand is unimportant as long as the shoe fits and lasts for the milage it's intended to endure.
  • rlbs
    rlbs Posts: 14
    Yes, go to a specialty running store and get fitted, they should ask you lots of questions and watch you run in several pairs (many stores have a treadmill or they will have you go out in front of the store). Buy your first pair from them to thank them for their time and effort--after that, you can buy them online or wherever you have a coupon to save money. Running shoes are expensive, but injuries are more expensive. Also, if you have a local specialty running store, get on their mailing list--many of them have days when a shoe manufacturer brings a bunch of shoes and you can actually run in different pairs to try them out. This is a good way to try out new shoes. Good luck!