100 plus lbs to lose

:I am soon to be 74 years old, had a CABG(coronary Artery bypass graft)09/29/12 when I weighed 314. .CW is 281. Started this program last Sunday, Mother's Day, at the encouragement of my son, who joined last month when his friend showed him the website. Eric has lost 14lbs so far, I think. I have lost 2 this week.

I also have many joint problems which impedes exercise, but do cardio and strength training.

My goal is to lose weight to be able to control Diabetes without insulin. Since the CABG I've had to use insulin, but have been able to decrease the dose. I think it will also decrease joint pain.

I would like to hear from those who can relate to some of these things!!!!! Of course, the MFP is enough by itself!

Replies

• well im glad to see you here! i dont feel like excercise is completely needed for weightloss. i feel like i lost majority of my weight when i wasnt active at all. im only active because i WANT to be. so having said that.. i feel like you really just have to stick to your calories and you should still lose weight. best of luck to you.. and your son as well. thats awesome. im just here to say it CAN be done. and that would be insanely awesome if you could get off the insulin altogether. it will of course take time though. but hang in there!!
  • livingfortheone
    livingfortheone Posts: 273 Member
    As a fellow diabetic, I understand what you are going through... but I have a good heart, so the bypass thing might be over my head.
    I'm grateful for finding MFP for encouragement and accountability.
    I'm at the weight were you had your bypass.... but I was almost 50 pounds heavier just 4 or 5 months ago.
    I'm hoping to get back to the weight I was 20 years ago... and in time, I will do that.
    I wish you well on your journey back to health.}
    Diabetes is a b**ch. I wish I didn't have it. But with the right tools and health, I can manage it.
  • I think you are off to a great start already! Deciding that enough is enough is the first step :) With determination and willpower, you will end up stronger, and healthier than you can ever imagine! Just keep at it, and you will do great. MFP is a great community.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    I lost my weight without exercise you can add me as a friend for encouragement if you like
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP!! If you Google "Chair Exercises" you will find a lot of Exercises that you can do from your Chair. (if you are wanting to Add Exercise to your Plan). The Food Trackers here are a Valuable Tool at learning Portion Control and finding the "Hidden Calories" in what you are eating.
  • gramsfl39
    gramsfl39 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for the encouragement!