Weekly meal plan feedback?

Options
Mdin1029
Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
Hi, I am trying weekly meal planning to save money, time, avoid food waste, and make healthier choices. I am doing this for the first time so I am focusing on planning Monday-Thursday for now. Breakfast-lunch will be the same, the dinners will be different.

Before work=
Lemon water

Green smoothie: 1 cup baby spinach, 1 cup baby kale, ½ banana, 2tbl peanut butter, 1/4 cup greek yogurt, ¼ cup lactose free organic milk, vanilla extract, ice

Breakfast= Apple, date, water, boiled egg with olive oil, pepper and 1 whole wheat toast

Snack =Mixed greens salad with cucumber, grape tomatoes, avocado, and Trader Joe’s balsamic dressing

Lunch = Homemade boy choy and broccoli soup (no cream, very little salt)

Snack (if needed) = Hummus and whole wheat pita chips

Dinner 1:
Cauliflower curry, spinach, basmati rice, curry chicken

Dinner 2
2 Baked sole tacos-corn tortillas, shredded cheddar cheese, mango peach salsa

Dinner 3
Herb crusted baked Salmon, ½ sweet potato, string beans

Dinner 4
¼ Baked herb and garlic chicken, penne pasta with organic marinara

After dinner bite: either carrots or 1 date

Friday-Saturday I will make sure to get in berries and nuts

8 cups of water a day

My fruit and veggies are organic. Eggs are organic, brown, cage free

I am at goal weight. Workouts right now= 2 days cardio (jogging 3 miles), 4 days strength (with cardio bursts-Jillian Michaels Body Revolution dvds), walking

Any suggestions or tips in in general on how to do weekly meal plans will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    My only thought was that if all I had for lunch was a salad with no protein (chicken or something) I would gnaw off my own arm within the hour. But... if it works for you great. Good luck!
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would say definitely try and add more protein! The rest looks great though :)
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me. I too prepare my food for M-Th. It saves not only money but time as well. IMO I keep my last meal of the day as high protein as possible and low carb as possible. Here is what my typical day looks like:

Breakfast: Oats, egg whites, fresh fruit, grapefruit juice
    1st snack: 6oz chicken breast, cheese stick
    Lunch: Chicken breast, 1 cup white rice, 1 cup stir fried veggies
    2nd snack: Cottege cheese w/ cinnamon, straw berries, blue berries, almonds
    Preworkout: Cliff bar or bananna
    Postworkout: Protein shake
    Dinner: Fish (Talapia or Salmon) spinich salad with lemon juice as dressing.
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    More protein and I'd substitute your grains for healthier choices. Brown rice or Quinoa, brown rice pasta, sweet potatoes, etc...
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options
    More protein and I'd substitute your grains for healthier choices. Brown rice or Quinoa, brown rice pasta, sweet potatoes, etc...

I posted up a topic of white vs brown rice and a user posted up a study for the two. Just something to take into consideration:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/991258-brown-rice-vs-white-rice
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    Thank you for all the tips! You're right, I need to add some more protein to the salad and soup lunch, and I like the idea of making dinner more protein and veggie focused. White basmati rice is a cultural staple that I am not willing to let go of completely, but trying to add some quinoa is a good idea, and decreasing wheat toast and wheat pita chips makes sense. That cottage cheese snack sounds super tasty too!
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me. I too prepare my food for M-Th. It saves not only money but time as well. IMO I keep my last meal of the day as high protein as possible and low carb as possible. Here is what my typical day looks like:

Your meal plan looks yummy! Looks exactly like what my trainer eats LOL. Can't wait to get these last 20lbs off so I can start eating more carbs like this.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    I've replaced all wheat products and now eat sprouted grains instead. I love the Ezekiel brand of bread and English muffins. I also buy sprouted bagels and tortillas.
  • bound4beauty
    Options

I posted up a topic of white vs brown rice and a user posted up a study for the two. Just something to take into consideration:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/991258-brown-rice-vs-white-rice

For me personally, I'd rather have the additional fiber in brown rice. I get plenty of nutritional benefit from all the other good, clean food I eat. That was an interesting study though. Thanks for sharing it!
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    Bound4Beauty-what benefits have you experienced after taking out wheat products?
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    I'm not gluten intolerant so the differences haven't been dramatic. I just feel better. Less sluggish, less bloated and I think the substitutes I've made are healthier. There's lots of pseudoscience out there about wheat that may or may not be accurate but it was a decision I made after doing some research on clean eating. I don't think it's necessary for everyone, but it's something that I wanted to try.

I understand your point about white rice being part of your culture and I would never suggest someone give up something like that. Nobody eats a perfect diet 100% of the time and if there is a food that is important to you and you can work it into your plan then that's what you have to do. I have a cheat meal once a week and sometimes my choices are pretty bad :)
  • Danny_Boy13
    Options

Your meal plan looks yummy! Looks exactly like what my trainer eats LOL. Can't wait to get these last 20lbs off so I can start eating more carbs like this.

most of the carbs I eat are usually during the first and middle parts of my days. I speedskate so my carb intake is a little more then most when people look at what I eat. I have to have some gas in the tank for out 2hr training sessions. On days where I am at the gym I will lower my carbs some. So instead of maybe 1cup rice it would be half that along with a couple other mods.

You look great BTW..... just amazing!!!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Have you tried brown basmati rice? It takes a bit longer to cook, but have more fiber.
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    Thanks for the info and feedback! I have tried brown basmati rice and did not care for it :)