I hate exercise!!!!!

Options
I hate exersice. I mean I really hate it. I hate going to the gym, I hate working out in the house to tapes. I feel like it's torture! It's not a lack of motivation. I just really hate it! It's not that I don't move, I move and I move a lot. Just not typical exercise kinda way. I have 4 kids I take care of. I walk my 2 dogs for roughly an hour a day, I clean, and I garden when weather permits. I set my activity level at sedentary so I get to call it exercise. Because I would rather spend an entire day in my garden, cleaning my house and chasing my 10, 7, 5, and 2yr olds around the yard, than to spend 5 minutes doing traditional types of exercise. I know I can't be the only one! LOL! So what do you do to move but not necessarily workout???

Replies

• eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I bike to and from work, I go for a walk at lunch, and I walk my dogs in the evening. It's all built into my day and I don't even think about it.

I add exercise dvds on top of that, but I consider that bonus and I don't necessarily do them every day. I know that walking and biking are things I can stick to for the rest of my life.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I really hate it, and I have to force myself - or used to, I don't even have a gym membership anymore. People say "imagine how great you feel after". I don't feel great after. Going to spin class just reminds me how horrible it actually is and when I leave class I think "never again". It's not getting easier or part of a routine, it sucks every time.

I try to sneak it in other ways, like going for power walks to music or so. Also thinking to start walking home from work, it's very far and will help.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I hate it too. I make myself do it. I walk more because it's been nice out but who knows how long it's going to last before it gets humid and hot and just too disgusting.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I didn't do any exercise when I was actively losing weight. Weight loss and exercise are two different things. If you don't like it then don't do it! Taking walks the dogs and the kids, gardening/playing around in the yard are healthy activities. You don't 'have' to do anything besides that :)
  • jaynie678
    jaynie678 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Me too.... I hate exercise too but your loosing weight so that's the main thing, :smile:
  • estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I believe you can burn calories doing what you are doing, like going up and down the stairs at home with a load of laundry, doing the dishes, cleaning, etc. instead of sitting on the couch. I like the satifaction of seeing a clean house, a garden tended, etc. Using the stairs instead of elevators, parking far. There's plenty of ways to move without thinking it's "excercise." In fact, every time I've slimmed down, it's been 90% diet. I've had to learn to not take all the advice here because I'm not the buff, weightlifting, athletic type. So I focus more on the diet aspect and I'm losing 1lb consistantly per week.
  • Rachlovesfitness
    Rachlovesfitness Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Try thinking of it like this...if you said "I hate brushing my teeth" or "I hate putting gas in my car"...would that stop you from doing it? We have to do things we don't like, (I dont always want to exercise either) but we do them because its taking care of ourselves and should be part of a daily routine :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I hate it too. I make myself do it. I walk more because it's been nice out but who knows how long it's going to last before it gets humid and hot and just too disgusting.

You need to "excuse proof" it ...... I can force myself .... to a point

Use a treadmill with a little TV screen .....tell yourself "I get to watch ____________ (something your husband or kids hate) while I'm walking"

Do "walking" DVDs ..... Walk at Home or Just Walk ... Leslie Sansone ones are most common... but there are other instructors out there. The beauty of these ... you can use your own music ... when theirs gets stale. Examples ...

http://youtu.be/9fhGXc6W-FI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjduJjO1pLg&feature=related
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't NEEDED to lose weight. You just need a calorie deficit. Exercise is for those who want to change how their body looks and for fitness. If you are ACTIVE now and your N.E.A.T. is good (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) then don't worry about exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you want to be toned you have to do strength training. If you don't you will lose muscle as well as fat. It's absolutely necessary for maintenance. We all have to do things we don't like to reach our final goal.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I hate it too. But I feel like it IS necessary, so I force myself/talk myself into going every time.

I have had very active jobs and "just moving around" still wasn't enough for me.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Try thinking of it like this...if you said "I hate brushing my teeth" or "I hate putting gas in my car"...would that stop you from doing it? We have to do things we don't like, (I dont always want to exercise either) but we do them because its taking care of ourselves and should be part of a daily routine :)

right. This.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    If you want to be toned you have to do strength training. If you don't you will lose muscle as well as fat. It's absolutely necessary for maintenance. We all have to do things we don't like to reach our final goal.
    No such thing as "toned". Verbage made up by the fitness industry. Even though my job is to encourage exercise, in truth people who are active with strength (climbing, farming, house building, etc.) will be fine with muscle retention and maintenance.

IDEA Fitness member
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    There is no shame in not liking or doing exercise. I believe you will discover as you lose more and more weight, that you will wish you had incorporated some.

I wish you nothing but success in your journey!
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I hate exersice. I mean I really hate it.

You're doing it wrong.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't NEEDED to lose weight. You just need a calorie deficit. Exercise is for those who want to change how their body looks and for fitness. If you are ACTIVE now and your N.E.A.T. is good (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) then don't worry about exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

What he said ^^^^

Also, maybe you just haven't found what you like. Personally, I hate stupid DVDs and I hate cardio equipment...I love going for hikes in the mountains, walking my dogs (walking is a form of traditional exercise), hitting the climbing wall, riding my mountain bike, etc. The only thing I do at the gym is lift weights, which I love.
  • gonesewing
    gonesewing Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was like this until I discovered something I really liked. Now I am obsessed and do a class almost every day. But what you are doing is exercise, just not club exercise.
  • Marksman21
    Marksman21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That's not unexpected. Some of us tend to enjoy the strain and feeling after, but its not everyone's cup of tea. Admitedly, you're not doing anything WRONG with what you're mentioning either. You walk your dogs (take it at a leaisurely pace, 2.5 MPH for an hour is great), kids are great calorie burners (took care of my 2 year old niece for a year, that did wonders... GET BACK HERE , KID!!), and you seem to keep an active lifestyle, even gardening does some work for you.

The best way is to add MORE activity to what you do. After lunch I hit 15 minute walks, either just a calm walk (2.5 MPH), or a brisk one (3.5 Mph), to work out the Desk Job stiffness. Fills in the dead time.

Another thing to consider is to take in your BMR and TDEE. If you're still eating less calories (by 20% at most) than you burn according to your TDEE, you're making progress. Exercise doesn't neccessarily mean working out, it mostly means just being more active.
  • zaftiggirl
    zaftiggirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have grown to like exercise, because I have some pretty clear examples in my life of what happens when you do take care of your body and what happens when you don't. It's nice to look good now, but it's priceless to have better health as you age - and exercise matters just as much or more than diet, in that case.

I suggest trying to re-train your mind to like some form of exercise. :)
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone. I used to be just like you. Hated it all. Zumba - everyone said how much fun it was. I hated it. Elliptical? Boring, but almost tolerable with a TV to watch. Swimming is great, if you can do it year around, but I have a pool at home, so I am spoiled and don't like the one at the Y.

I got lucky, though. I started lifting weights last February and fell in love with it. I am so thankful for that, because I really don't like much else. I do run, simply because I bombed my first 5k and now it's a personal thing for me to do one right next month, but I don't love it, lol. I keep waiting to love it, but it isn't happening for me, yet.

Fortunately I am just vain enough to want to look good nekkid, and tried different things till I found what I liked.

You just have to consider your final goal...do you want to drop weight only, or do you want to drop weight and look...geez, what is the PC word? Healthy? Toned? Muscular? Pick your adjective. I love Michelle Obama's arms and want that look head to toe, so it's probably a good thing I found something I do enjoy that will help me reach my goal.