Garmin Forerunner10 vs 210 Calories & Heart Rate

Options
goshnames
goshnames Posts: 359 Member
As someone who likes to run, I'd really like a HRM that has an integrated GPS to track distance and pace as well as count calories burned.

I'm looking at the Garmin Forerunner10 and Garmin Forerunner210. The 10 is not compatible with the chest strap heart rate monitor, yet it still provides a heart rate and calories burned total. The 210 comes with the chest strap and therefore probably gives a more accurate monitoring of your heart rate and calories...but the Forerunner10 is SO MUCH CHEAPER.

I am wondering if anyone has tried both the 10 and 210 who could tell me whether or not the heart rate and calories burned calculations on the Forerunner10 are actually accurate without the use of a chest strap HRM. How exactly can the 10 measure your heart rate accurately without the use of a chest strap?

Thanks!

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The 10 does not measure heartrate. It calculates calories based on time/distance/weight only.

The 210 does measure heartrate and calculates calories using the Firstbeat algorithm. This is claimed to be the most accurate method available right now.
  • alfmaster
    alfmaster Posts: 29
    Options
    I agree with Scottb81. Go with the 210 as the HRM provides a more accurate calorie count. If you are interested, someone did a write up on the various Garmin Calorie measurements that their GPS watches use: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/11/how-calorie-measurement-works-on-garmin.html