Best foods for viruses that don't screw things up...

Options
missybct
missybct Posts: 321 Member
...this sounds like a total no brainer, but I'm really struggling.

I have a pretty clean eating style, drink plenty of water, no alcohol and was exercising at the gym three times a week (cardio but mainly lifting) plus walking on days off.

At the start of the week I came down with this b*tch of a virus - it's really kicking my fat *kitten* right now. I'm so drained after having weeks of surplus energy, my panic attacks are waking me up in the night (!!!) and I generally just feel absolutely shocking. I've been checked out at the doctors for infections and nothing seems obvious and I had blood tests a month before which were clean.

Normally I'm pretty good at getting over viruses - couple of days, 4 days max and I'm right as rain. But each time I stand up I feel like I'm going to pass out. Exercise, although I've tried (2 mile max this week, sob) is a no go - I can barely focus my eyes for long enough to stand upright.

--

I know this sounds terribly trite, but I am really not eating enough because a) I'm not hungry and b) I simply haven't the energy to cook or prepare or stand up. I have no inclination to reach for the takeout menus at all, and I've eaten pretty much all the soup I can handle. I know my recovery will be slower if I do not eat enough and I'm petrified of undoing all my good work in hitting calorie goals (avoiding starvation etc) by this week long misery fest.

Basically, I wanted some ideas for very quick, very simple ideas that are going to be line with clean eating that I can either do myself or get someone to fix for me. I'm trying to limit sugar and carbs to natural/wholewheat and drinking plenty. I'm having to take some flu (I'm guessing it is the flu, but who knows, the doctors don't!) medication (cough syrup...beghhh) but am avoiding lucozade for now.

I'm also really worried about undoing the good work at the gym - I had a brilliant routine and was doing really well and I'm missing it like crazy, but also dreading having to start again. I'm losing weight, probably due to not eating enough because I sure as *kitten* ain't moving my butt enough, and I don't want to lose muscle rather than fat.

Any advice would be superb. Sorry if it sounds massively obvious, but my eyes hurt from trying to read and reread different health sites - I wanted proper, realistic and honest ideas.

Thanks in advance xxx

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    At this point it's more important that you eat. Eat whatever you feel like. Mashed potatoes, ice cream, toast with peanut butter, hot chocolate...comfort food.

You need the calories.

And get to a doctor, it may be something more than a virus if it's been going on for over a week.

edit to say: you said you've seen a doctor. Well, I tried :laugh: and even though you are trying to limit sugar and carbs, you need to eat, so put that on the back burner for now until you get your strength back.
  • tallulahalice
    tallulahalice Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of smoothies, you can add your pick of fruits, yoghurt, protein powder, even extra supplements such as chia seeds or flax seed oil - make it as calorie dense as a full meal if you want energy and nutrients without eating too much. I also started juicing a couple of months ago - that's a great way to get some extra veggies (I have to "hide" the flavour by juicing them with strong tasting fruits such as citrus).

How about a humble chicken salad with precooked chicken and prewashed salad leaves? Now that's what I call fast food.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Mono?
  • ShellyB317
    ShellyB317 Posts: 1
    Options
    Natural peanut butter on whole wheat
    Boiled eggs
    Tuna
    Protein drinks
    Baked sweet potato
    cheese & crackers
    fruit

Those are my initial thoughts. I know you are avoiding sugar/carbs but you need some for some energy. Relax on the diet thing until you are well enough to workout again. You are depleting your body. I'm not saying eat junk food by any means but cheese on a couple whole wheat crackers or a banana isn't going to undo all your hard work. Nourish your body!! Take vitamins and Vitamin C too. I hope you feel better :)
  • missybct
    Options
    At this point it's more important that you eat. Eat whatever you feel like. Mashed potatoes, ice cream, toast with peanut butter, hot chocolate...comfort food.

You need the calories.

And get to a doctor, it may be something more than a virus if it's been going on for over a week.

I saw a doctor yesterday and Monday - I'm no hypochondriac (okay, maybe a little) but I genuinely felt something wasn't right. I've had blood pressure tests, pulse tests, stomach/chest/lungs prodding, groin prodding (ergh, thank god I had nice underwear on!), urine tests (not pregnant, no infection) but absolutely nothing is coming up. I don't want to keep calling the surgery because I feel like I'm wasting time because strictly speaking, I'm alive - as they keep telling me! I will have to go next week if it's not cleared because I am just not convinced - I have moments where I am fine (ish) and then I feel like collapsing.

Thanks for the advice - I could right go for some ice cream.... :)

xxx
  • missybct
    Options
    Mono?

I considered this - mainly because I had it about seven years ago and the symptoms feel very similar. I've mentioned it repeatedly, but to no avail - based on the fact my glands aren't up they've probably discounted it, even though they didn't appear last time....!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

You need the calories.

edit to say: you said you've seen a doctor. Well, I tried :laugh: and even though you are trying to limit sugar and carbs, you need to eat, so put that on the back burner for now until you get your strength back.

Yes. Be sure you're getting enough electrolytes, too. Pedialyte or the equivalent that's sold wherever you live is good for that.

If you know someone that's willing to cook, have them look up how to make a whole chicken into chicken stock - basically cook a whole chicken carcass with as many veggies and herbs as you like until the meat is falling off the bone and even the bones are soft. Strain to get just the liquid and remove the fat on top. Then drink the chicken stock. It's seriously the best chicken broth you'll ever taste and is packed with good-for-you nutrients.

You can take zinc as well - you can find supplements at the pharmacy - it'll inhibit viral replication and usually shortens the length of time you're sick, though I don't know how well it works if you're not taking it from the time you first had symptoms. It won't hurt you, regardless.
  • missybct
    Options
    Genuinely, thank you for the advice. I've been in a real quandary about whether to eat more, eat less, eat this, eat that and everything was contradicting itself online - I knew I could rely on the faithful MFP! :)

I need to get some of the rehydration stuff - I'm not sure what it's sold as in the UK but I'll track it down. I feel dehydrated a lot and drinking a lot, but not urinating as much - told doctors that too.... :huh: Serves me right for not booking with my usual GP I guess!

x
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Rehydration stuff is diralyte (not sure on spelling) in the uk, available from any chemist or most supermarkets.