Does walking count as exercise!

Options

Replies

• djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Yep! And calorie burn can depends on a lot of things. I know I'm not burning as many calories when I'm walking on the flat path near my work than I do when I'm walking up and down hills and pushing a baby stroller when I'm out walking with my sister in her neighborhood.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    sandy_gee burned 857 calories doing 80 minutes of Walking Kayden with HRM

Yes. It most definitely counts.
    Thats a higher burn than marathon runners and tour de france riders burn going full out..

your actual calorie burn in that time is closer to 150 calories. Maybe 200ish if you were power walking.

I don't know where you getting your information from but an 80 min casual or about 2 mph walk would burn around 400 calories whereas a 4 mph walk would be about 700ish. I also weigh over 200 lbs so I know that I get extra burn for that.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Thats a higher burn than marathon runners and tour de france riders burn going full out..

your actual calorie burn in that time is closer to 150 calories. Maybe 200ish if you were power walking.

I don't know where you getting your information from but an 80 min casual or about 2 mph walk would burn around 400 calories whereas a 4 mph walk would be about 700ish. I also weigh over 200 lbs so I know that I get extra burn for that.
    metabolic chamber data.

you're also forgetting the 2-3cal/min from BMR.

So your 80min of 400 calories is actually 160 prob once you subtract your BMR data. which is about 2cal/min as I said.

edit: actually that would still be high. 2cal would be more for the 4mph walking. Regardless, 400cal burned from exercise from a 80min 2mph walk is way too high. Simply not possible.
  • Jonahyona
    Jonahyona Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I power walk and I sweat and my heart beats quickly so I have to say yes!
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would count it as exercise if it is intentionally done as such. I do not count walking around the grocery store while shopping, but I count walking around the block with the dog.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Definitely exercise. I have a HRM and I stay in the "zone" walking at 3.5-3.8 mph. When I started exercising I just walked, now I jog/walk at intermittent times.

I would say any walking outside your normal day to day walking is exercise. I don't count shopping and such as exercise for me. It is a bonus.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    If it's normal walking in your daily routine.. Like around the grocery store, I wouldn't count it.
    If you're going out with the intention of burning some calories, totally count it! It adds up. :)

Another one? Really?

Ok here goes.

I walk all day every day. It counts. I workout for 80 mins at least, then walk the 7km round trip to the supermarket to grab the daily shopping. I carry it all home on my back. It counts as exercise, even though I do it daily....ALL of it is more than doing nothing. Even if it is daily.

I walk 17km to the further supermarket for a light globe, it counts. I walked 23km to get some mascara, took me 5 hours. It counts.

Walking counts, all walking does. Otherwise things like Fitbit, pedometers in general & other things like that would be redundant & useless.

ALL walking counts.
  • chattyts
    chattyts Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, walking is my main exercise. I walk every morning and evening most days. I don't count regular daily walking just the walking I am doing for exercise. I also ride my stationary bike, but I truly enjoy walking and especially hiking.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Walking five times a week has helped my to lose over ten pounds in the past month. :):):) Heck ya it counts.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Walking is not just a bunch of steps.
  • ttiiggzz
    ttiiggzz Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes!

:)
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    If it's normal walking in your daily routine.. Like around the grocery store, I wouldn't count it.
    If you're going out with the intention of burning some calories, totally count it! It adds up. :)

Another one? Really?

Ok here goes.

I walk all day every day. It counts. I workout for 80 mins at least, then walk the 7km round trip to the supermarket to grab the daily shopping. I carry it all home on my back. It counts as exercise, even though I do it daily....ALL of it is more than doing nothing. Even if it is daily.

I walk 17km to the further supermarket for a light globe, it counts. I walked 23km to get some mascara, took me 5 hours. It counts.

Walking counts, all walking does. Otherwise things like Fitbit, pedometers in general & other things like that would be redundant & useless.

ALL walking counts.
    negatory.

slow walking uses the same energy systems as standing. do you count standing as exercise. How about sitting at your keyboard typing? Exact same energy systems as slow walking.

Basically you're trying to claim ANY movement at all above a coma is exercise. Because to your body, walking and sitting around are exactly the same thing.

If you want real exercise, you need to be moving hard enough to engage higher energy systems. I guess if you're so fat or out of shape you by default are able to do this at a slow walk, then good for you. but for most people, walking will NOT be exercise.

that said, fast walking for sure will be exercise as you're engaging the cardio system.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

Another one? Really?

Ok here goes.

ALL walking counts.
    negatory.

slow walking uses the same energy systems as standing. do you count standing as exercise. How about sitting at your keyboard typing? Exact same energy systems as slow walking.

Basically you're trying to claim ANY movement at all above a coma is exercise. Because to your body, walking and sitting around are exactly the same thing.

If you want real exercise, you need to be moving hard enough to engage higher energy systems. I guess if you're so fat or out of shape you by default are able to do this at a slow walk, then good for you. but for most people, walking will NOT be exercise.

that said, fast walking for sure will be exercise as you're engaging the cardio system.

I guess it depends then right? Cause 5 hours of solid non stop walking at a NORMAL pace does not count as exercise for you then? 23km of normal walking non stop does not count. Better tell those people who walk for charity that their mammoth efforts at a normal pace isn't exercise.

I hardly walk slow, it's not in my nature to walk slow at all, never has been & I'm sure people are like me as well. Like I said, walking is exercise, it's how I started & how many others started & how I'm sure as hell keeping in shape.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Legendary bodybuilder and original hercules Steve Reeves swore by it!! He would walk thru central park for an hour and add weight to his body for more resistance..walking is great but you have to do it with a bit of intensity!
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If it raises your heart rate! =D If you are just casually walking, taking your time, enjoying the weather.. I probably wouldn't.. I use a HRM so when I go walk I try to go fast enough to keep up my HR. I also subtract my BMR for however long I was walking.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I roll my eyes when people log stuff like "burned 30 calories dusting the house."
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Walking is an exercise.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    negatory.

If you want real exercise, you need to be moving hard enough to engage higher energy systems. I guess if you're so fat or out of shape you by default are able to do this at a slow walk, then good for you.

5zKXz.gif
  • ILOVEFWANKWIN
    Options

metabolic chamber data.

you're also forgetting the 2-3cal/min from BMR.

So your 80min of 400 calories is actually 160 prob once you subtract your BMR data. which is about 2cal/min as I said.

edit: actually that would still be high. 2cal would be more for the 4mph walking. Regardless, 400cal burned from exercise from a 80min 2mph walk is way too high. Simply not possible.

Not sure about all this. I have a BodyMedia and it logs my burn for sitting vs walking. If I walk consistently at a 2 - 3.5mph pace it shows I burn 6-8 (upwards of 10 if I speed it up more) calories a minute. Resting/Sitting/Sleeping I burn 1.2 cal per minute. Subtracting BMR... Still a higher burn than just sitting still.

If I walk 2hrs a day (aside from the BMR), I still get credited on the upwards of 500-600 calories depending. I've lost almost 70lbs, walking as my main exercise... Just saying.