I just can't stick to it

Options
mamax5
mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
I haven't lost weight in 6 weeks and I am convinced it's my eating. I just cannot stick to eating right. I don't go over 1900 calories...but what does it matter. I feel like I blew it today with Mcdonalds. I am still under calories for the day but geez....I can't keep the sugar down. I thought this was just about calories but I think for me it's sugar an sodium. I don't want to be one of those people who are always trying to lose weight and never seem to lose ANY weight. I'm in a contest at my gym and everyone is losing weight. I have not lost any inches, any weight or anything. My fitness level is going up but who gives a crap about that in a freaking contest. All I want is to weigh under 200 at this point. I am SICK TO DEATH of being fat. Sure I can control myself at McD's. I don't eat the fries...rather they are no longer large but small. But it's not just there. I manage to screw up at home. 3 oclock rolls around and I'm hungry and I eat 2 of those little fruit snacks of my kids. Sure, I eat apples and cheese as well....but it doesn't seem to matter. No matter what I eat I can't lose weight. I lost like 5 lbs(not all at once) 7 weeks ago....but now nothing. I really wanted to win $5000 but I think a man is going to get it. I know of one guy that lost 10lbs in the first week. I shouldn't have entered the stupid thing. I'm just destined to be f@#$ing fat for the rest of my life. I need to go to the gym today, but my motivation is gone. I don't even feel like trying anymore. I didn't think I was asking too much to just be a size 14 again. Why is this so hard? Just 2 pounds a week was all I was asking...2 little pounds a week. Why can't I do it? I see success stories all the time, why can't I be one? I get up every day and say to myself I won't screw up again...but I do. EVERY SINGLE DAY I screw up. I eat the same stuff as my husband and he lost 11 pounds! I am sick of it already! I'm just a fatty fat fat...my mom always said I'd never be skinny and I guess she was right. YEARS of fighting that and she' was right. I think my body wants to be fat. I am just beyond pissed.

Replies

• LisaY76
    LisaY76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    First off, you need to STOP with the pity party. Second, going from a large fry to a small fry is not going to help you lose weight. YOUR STILL EATING THE WRONG FOODS, even if it's less of it. If you want this bad enough, you will make it happen. What I'm hearing from your post is, "Blah, Blah, Blah, I can't, I can't, I can't, Blah, Blah, Blah...." You have to eat healthy and exercise to make it happen. Eating less junk food and exercising every once in a while when you feel like it will just leave you feeling disappointed and frumpy.
    $H!T OR GET OFF THE POT. Nobody just wakes up one day and says, "OMG, I'm sooooo skinny. I wonder how this happened". People who have healthy bodies, healthy minds and muscle tone have worked their *kitten* off to get there. You have to work your *kitten* off too.

Good Luck! I hope you find what your looking for but with your attitude, I seriously doubt you will. Sorry to say!:noway:
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you start eating real food. Look up "clean eating" and start eating food that nourishes your body and is going to fuel your metabolism. You need to eat every 3 - 4 hours, drink lots of water, give up the processed junk and focus on fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean sources of protein and good fats.
  • shalysewrightbethea
    shalysewrightbethea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    First I'm going to send you hugs, then I going to tell you that this happens. Take some time and look at your habits and track them. Write down your goals. The biggest thing is not to give up. You might not accomplish you weight goal as soon as you hope but don't let that bring you down. Also look at the reasons behind this.Why do you want to lose weight?
  • hecham
    hecham Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I agree with bound4beauty ^^^ Eat real food and not only will you will feel fuller but your cravings for junk food will decrease as well. You CAN do it!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Losing weight isn't just about the "diet now" ..... it's about making permanent lifestyle changes. The reason for lifestyle changes, is that you will want to LEARN how to keep the weight off once you've lost it. We don't learn it all overnight.

Aim for progress .... not perfection" .... I like this quote. Make a few good choices everyday (more good choices than bad) and you will get there. You don't have to be perfect.

Try to eat fewer processed foods .... whole foods .... fruits, veggies, whole grains. Potatoes, corn & peas are higher calorie .... treat these like you would treat grains .... smaller portions.

Fats are good for you ..... but fried foods are not. Save the fat for nuts, nut butters, olive oil, dairy .... healthier stuff.

Fruits have natural sugar ... these can help you reduce your dependence on added sugar (the empty calorie stuff).....This is my downfall ......I "allow" myself some (bad) sugar ... at the end of the day....... IF I have been good. This is my reward (of sort).

Some people will cut out all added sugar .... cold turkey .... and then add a little back. You might just focus on "no sugar" for a few days .... then focus on something else later in the week..... just keep making steps in the right direction.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    You absolutely 100% certain CAN do it. Stop with the contest stuff and stay the heck out of McDonalds until you get yourself on track. THere are very few of us who haven't had our ups and downs acheiving our goals. It is hard work. Period. If you want to lose weight, get into the gym, eat right. And don't give up!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    This is about changing your lifestyle. It isn't going to happen overnight. Eat cleaner, give up the fast food (trust me you will be glad you did), exercise but make it something you enjoy doing! Give yourself a break, you are not a number on a scale. Start with making small changes and go from there. Honey, if I can do this, anyone can!!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    OP, Took a quick peak at your diary. There are several days where you haven't logged your food. In mean in the past two weeks, I only found maybe two days where you logged everything. I would say you can eat your McDonalds small fry, but log it in your diary at only eat 1700 calories today.

let me ask you, when your in this kind of mood, and feel like your failing, do you raid the fridge?
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ok, stop trippin. There is nothing stopping you from making healthy choices from RIGHT NOW forward. You have a choice every time you reach for food, and you just need to be stronger than your cravings.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If you have decided you can't you won't.

You have to believe in yourself and really make the decision that you want to do this for you, not for a contest, not for anyone but yourself! When you decide you want to make a change, start with making weekly goals: I will exercise 3 days a week, I will not eat McDonalds, etc. and go from there. But your first change has to be in your attitude.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, your number 1 problem is your self talk. You have got to change the way your are thinking. No doubt you are going to get some great tips from some very knowledgeable folks on MFP on strategies to help you control how you eat. But start with how you think.

You CAN do it.
  • GnomeQueen84
    GnomeQueen84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oh and you need to get up and go to the gym today, you will feel better after you are done, trust me.
  • mamax5
    Options
    First off, you need to STOP with the pity party. Second, going from a large fry to a small fry is not going to help you lose weight. YOUR STILL EATING THE WRONG FOODS, even if it's less of it. If you want this bad enough, you will make it happen. What I'm hearing from your post is, "Blah, Blah, Blah, I can't, I can't, I can't, Blah, Blah, Blah...." You have to eat healthy and exercise to make it happen. Eating less junk food and exercising every once in a while when you feel like it will just leave you feeling disappointed and frumpy.
    $H!T OR GET OFF THE POT. Nobody just wakes up one day and says, "OMG, I'm sooooo skinny. I wonder how this happened". People who have healthy bodies, healthy minds and muscle tone have worked their *kitten* off to get there. You have to work your *kitten* off too.

Good Luck! I hope you find what your looking for but with your attitude, I seriously doubt you will. Sorry to say!:noway:

I work with a personal trainer 2x a week and go on my on 2 more times a week....I DO work my *kitten* off...I leave that gym drenched in sweat. I do heavy lifting every time...I am up to 70lbs on the stacks and 30lb free weights. My legs I am up to 160lbs. So I am not some lazy ***** who won't work out...And the trainer is not easy on me, she pushes me to a almost puke point. This is the longest I've held on with no weight loss.

I've had a bad day...it's not all about the weight. It's about the 5 yr old son who tells me he hates me. The husband who does not want me to go to a Mom's night out and loves to fight with me about it and claims I get to go everywhere. It's the stress of my gym bill when I can't get a cleaning job to pay for it when the lady I babysat for sort of laid me off when her husband was laid off.

And why do I want to lose weight? Because I am sick of looking at the fat jiggle jiggle in the mirror...I want to wear cute clothes again, I don't want to be ashamed of how I look, and I want my husband to have a hot wife. Just every time I try...I fail. I've tried losing weight for 10 yrs.
  • DeniseNichole76
    DeniseNichole76 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Try and cut back on eating out, sodium and sugar filled foods, they only offer empty calories. Don't do it cold turkey, its a process, do it less if you can but add in a walk, a run, exercise.... move your body more.... It's a process but overall its a mental change, you have to change the way you think and stop listening to the negative words and tempting words...workout, and try and gradually change. PM me if you would love a support buddy. I have a FREE private FB group for women if you would like the support. =)
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    When you ave the additued of I can't do it you are absolutly right you cann't. But when you have the additued of I can I will even if it's a 1/2 a pound at a time I will do then guess what you will! I agree with those saying to eat real foods. That is how I have been trying to eat and I have been seeing great results, and I eat so much more food volume wise that I ever did when I didn't eat real foods. I even succeed when I go over 2000 calories because I am eating the right foods. But I do think that the best thing for you to do is to stop being so hard on yourself, stop compairing yourself to men (they loose differently from women) and start making real changes in your life even if it means you have to change the eating habbits of your kids as well. (They will thank you for it later)
  • mamax5
    Options
    OP, Took a quick peak at your diary. There are several days where you haven't logged your food. In mean in the past two weeks, I only found maybe two days where you logged everything. I would say you can eat your McDonalds small fry, but log it in your diary at only eat 1700 calories today.

let me ask you, when your in this kind of mood, and feel like your failing, do you raid the fridge?

Not exactly...I go look in it, but then walk away. When I have a bad eating day, I give up logging. That's why there are so many holes in that...but I haven't quit working out.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you start eating real food. Look up "clean eating" and start eating food that nourishes your body and is going to fuel your metabolism. You need to eat every 3 - 4 hours, drink lots of water, give up the processed junk and focus on fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean sources of protein and good fats.

BRO-SCIENCE

Plenty of people eat "junk" and lose weight. Also your claim about 3-4 hour eating periods is rubbish and not backed by scientific research. What about people who do IF and only eat once a day? I've fit in process junked throughout my diet and still lost weight ans so have millions of other people. This is not a special program it's nutrition science, if the body is in a prolonged caloric deficit it WILL lose weight.

Op you could be doing 3 things"
    1. Weighing yourself inaccurately
    2. Eating at what you think is a deficit but what is actually your maintenance
    3. Not consistently eating at 1900 kcals.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I can't help but notice your daily sodium intake. I know you said you leave the gym drenched in sweat but even still. Yesterday you were over the 2500 limit an extra 2000 mgs.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! It took me a long time to start eating smaller portions and also eat the "right foods" but I finally took small steps and it is finally showing. I have three daughters and I would use them as the reason that I stocked my fridge and pantry with snacks and such but it wasn't them it was me that was craving all of this. Once i started bringing home fresh fruit and not buying so many processed foods they started eating better, healthier and enjoying it!
    I would treat myself to brownies or McDonald's big mac with extra sauce when I was doing well or if I had a bad or stressful day I would tell myself I deserved to treat myself, I now find other ways instead of food. I will also treat myself to something i'm really craving but in smaller portions because I found that if I completely keep away from the craving I end up overeating out of frustration.
    Please hang in there and don't give up because it's not only a confidence builder but it's for your health and that is so important!
    Take care and I hope your days get better:)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Not exactly...I go look in it, but then walk away. When I have a bad eating day, I give up logging. That's why there are so many holes in that...but I haven't quit working out.

"When I have a bad eating day" Well there's your problem you can **** a whole weeks worth of a deficit in one day with a "bad" eating day depending on how bad it is. If you're having more than one you're really just spinning your wheels. Consistency+time.