Inconsiderate Dog Owners

Options
SO - I've been pretty much down with the flu all week, and hubby was out of town on trip. Today, while coming home from daycare with my daughter, she is distracted by something in front of the porch. I walk over, and I notice, against the brick, about 4-5 piles of dog crap in varying degrees of age.

They are all about 12 inches or less apart, all up against the brick. We're not talking SMALL either. We have had Big Dogs in the past (don't have dogs currently) so I know what it looks like, and this, my friends is from a LARGE dog. Piles left were Big Enough to have been from a Human.

Anyhow - it looks as though someone either walked their dog up against our brick and had them "GO" or one of the neighbors has been letting their dog loose to do their 'business' and not paid attention to where the dog is going. I've no idea which, but if the dog has picked our front garden area as a potty, I'm still PI$$ED at the owner.

We don't have strays around here, so it has to be a neighbor. Seriously? If you let your dog out to 'GO' do you not pay attention WHERE they go? do you just let them roam the neighborhood leaving presents on your neighbors property?

UGH! Did I say I have been fighting the flu? well the Nausea WAS on the mend up until about 30 minutes ago when I found these gifts.

Luckily Hubby is about to be home so maybe he can dispose of THEM. I hate asking him to do so after a week long trip - but man - I will seriously hurl if I go out there again. So either they'll wait a couple days until I'm better or he may take care of them.

Some people don't deserve to have pets.

:mad: :explode: :noway:

Replies

• Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Put powdered bleach around the area...dog smells it and sneezes/burns.

Neighbors have big dogs?
  • FitterStrongerHappier
    FitterStrongerHappier Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    the immediate ones, no. The neighbors next to us - their Daughter had 2 LARGE dogs - brothers - but they don't live there only visit - and I haven't seen them in awhile. the neighbors on the other side, have a lab puppy - like 6 months old - not big enough - and he's never loose (they have an underground fence they are starting anyhow.

As far as seeing a loose dog - I haven't. This just has always been a sore spot with me. We had our 2 dogs for many years - they both passed from Cancer and we never replaced them. I would NEVER let our dog loose to roam and crap in someone else's yard.
  • FitterStrongerHappier
    FitterStrongerHappier Posts: 65 Member
    Options

will it injure the dog? I wouldn't want to injure the dog. The owner Maybe :angry:
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Eww.. I know I am guilty of leaving my doggie's poo sometimes.. (if there is NO where to throw it out and it isn't in a walking path.. or if it is somewhere in bushes where I would have to crawl to get it.. I'll leave it) I'd keep an eye out and get the phone number off the dog's collar.. so that way you can call them to come clean it up.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

will it injure the dog? I wouldn't want to injure the dog. The owner Maybe :angry:

I am pretty sure that could harm the dog, inhaling bleach for a human can kill the lungs and dogs would be no different.

There is not a good deterent that wouldn't cost you a bit of cash, scat mats work wonderfully against all animals but they can be pricey. Another option is a auto spray or auto air horn that poufs the animal with water or a blast of air and scares them away and this would be a cheaper alternative if I remember right.

The next best thing is trying to catch them in the act and return the favor by moving the dogs 'deposit' onto their lawn for them to clean up.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options

YES it could injure the dog! Inhaling chlorine is generally a bad idea for any living creature. There are other repellents you can get that won't cause lung/eye damage. Check the outdoor area of PetSmart. There are several types of repellents that will work. It also helps if you go outside regularly. If the person letting their dog do it sees you they'll be afraid of getting caught and being embarrassed for being a jerk.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I use Critter ridder around myflower beds and under my deck and around my trees it needs to be replaced every 30 days but it does work... and its none toxic... works for cats and dogs. might be worth looking into.

My neighbors have 2 rotties and they were letting them do their business on my lawn by my trees in the front yard until I started putting the stuff around them too the dogs stopped. Somepeople don't think.

I have a little tiny dog but when we go out for walks I always make sure to take my baggies with me and pick up her poop as we go and I carry it with me until I get home because I don't even want to throw it in anyone elses garbage as its not their dog.

Edited: to fix a sentence that I didnt proof read and it made no sense.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My folks old neighbors used to throw their dog crap in my p-units backyard. My dad threw it back. He should have hit them with it.
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Put powdered bleach around the area...

Yeah..don't do this...
  • AlexThreeClaw
    AlexThreeClaw Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This sort of behaviour is despicable. Filthy beasts. (The owners, not the dogs.)

I really wouldn't try bleach unless you're seriously at the end of your rope. It sounds like it could be painful or even dangerous.

Less extreme ideas include, citrus, vinegar, garlic, pepper, or tea tree oil.

Some dogs really hate citrus. You could use lemon peel, orange, or grapefruit in the problem area. It's untidy but often effective. You can also get some citrus spray to treat the area and discourage them from going around there. Vinegar is said to work similarly, you could use it as a sort of barrier around the edge of your property.

Tea tree oil or eucalyptus mixed with a little alcohol and used to rinse the area should keep them away too. Or you could try a garlic solution, or a cayenne pepper solution, anything really that would be unpleasantly sharp to a dogs sensitive nose. I've also heard that a good wash with laundry detergent can help clean the area better than disinfectant, it strips away the scent that encourages them to return to that specific spot.

Most of these measures will require repeating on a weekly basis, or after heavy rain but with a bit of luck the dogs'll soon find somewhere a little more appealing to do their business.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    This sort of behaviour is despicable. Filthy beasts. (The owners, not the dogs.)

I really wouldn't try bleach unless you're seriously at the end of your rope. It sounds like it could be painful or even dangerous.

Less extreme ideas include, citrus, vinegar, garlic, pepper, or tea tree oil.

Some dogs really hate citrus. You could use lemon peel, orange, or grapefruit in the problem area. It's untidy but often effective. You can also get some citrus spray to treat the area and discourage them from going around there. Vinegar is said to work similarly, you could use it as a sort of barrier around the edge of your property.

Tea tree oil or eucalyptus mixed with a little alcohol and used to rinse the area should keep them away too. Or you could try a garlic solution, or a cayenne pepper solution, anything really that would be unpleasantly sharp to a dogs sensitive nose. I've also heard that a good wash with laundry detergent can help clean the area better than disinfectant, it strips away the scent that encourages them to return to that specific spot.

Most of these measures will require repeating on a weekly basis, or after heavy rain but with a bit of luck the dogs'll soon find somewhere a little more appealing to do their business.

Thanks for the tips!
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Gross! I'm glad you at least didn't step in it! People shouldn't have dogs if they don't want to take care of them.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

Neighbors have big dogs?

No, this could injure the dog.... this is the fault of the owner, not the dog.

Put a sign out. KEEP DOGS OFF PROPERTY or something like that.