How many times a week do you work out?

Options
how many times a week are you working out? For how long each time? I feel guilty if I take a day to recover. I know my body needs it but I can't get out of my own head. I wanted to see where everyone else is.

Replies

• EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    It is hard on me sometimes taking days off. I feel like I should be doing SOMETHING. But once I ended up having to take two weeks off because I overdid it, I decided to start listening to my body.

Right now I am doing a half training program that has me working out 6 days most weeks. On the rest day, I try to at least stay active (its my intense cleaning day around my house and I try to get outside with the kids when the weather is nice, play on the playground or walk the track, obstacle course etc., I have to do all the grocery shopping and pretty much on my feet all day long)

So I really work out 6 days a week, I guess. But I do different things so it doesnt wear me down completely.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I find working out such a stress reliever and really about my only free time to myself. I work out 7 days a week and on 5 of the days I get up and workout very early before work and then workout at night after dinner, spending time with my daughters or just taking care of other things and it's not as busy during either time I work out at the gym.
    I am possibly addicted to it:)
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    4x per week.

5 hours total, give or take 30 minutes.

2 days work, 1 rest, 2 work, 2 rest.

All heavy lifting (bodybuilding program). Occasional cardio added in but only if I'm feeling up to it.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Currently on a cut, I lift heavy 5x per week. 3x per week HIIT cardio. And generally try to work in abs 2x per week. I take off weekends (because my gym is close to my office, and I live over an hour from my office).

When I start bulking, I will most likely still lift heavy 5x per week, but will work calves M-W-F in addition my regular lifting and abs Tu-Th in addition to my regular lifting as well as Saturday (they both need a lot of help). Sat abs will be mostly body weight (planks, crunches, leg lifts, etc). And continue doing HIIT 3x per week.

So techinically I will be working out 6x per week then, but the 6th will not be using weights.

Oh, and I lift 45 minutes to an hour each time, plus any cardio I do (which is usually around 25-26 minutes including warm up and cool down.
  • Davariluv
    Davariluv Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    5AM workouts- I work out 5 days a week M-F for about one hour, total of 5 hours a week, occasional Saturdays; depending on how my body feels.

It is important to have a rest day or two and be wise on your eating habits.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Normally 6 days a week. In the summer, I won't be at the gym on the weekends but I will be swimming at the beach and jogging at the beach. I can't sit still and spend half my time swimming!!!! Love the beach!
  • Charlottesmama
    Charlottesmama Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What is HIIT cardio? I have seen other people talk about it but I don't know what it is.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I lift 6 days a week. One session is usually 45-90 minutes long.
    I also walk 5-15 miles per week.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 5-6 days a week for about an hour each. But I try to get some kind of exercise in each day even if it is to go for a walk. Yes, I am addicted now. Good/bad habit. Felt guilty last night for not going to the gym.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    What is HIIT cardio? I have seen other people talk about it but I don't know what it is.

Me either. What is it?
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    6 days a week (60-80mins a session)
    Cardio for 20-40 mins including Crosstrainer, Rower, and Static Bike
    the rest is Weights (free and machine) and Core training.

Mix up the ratio's each sessions. Sometimes do the weights first then cardio

And my job a faced paced forklift driver/storeman still burns around 1500 calories on a moderate day. Tho i don't log that.

Take how many days you need to recover, last week i had to take 3 days off due to the flu and when i went back to it i did better then i had in weeks with muscles/joints not aching at all

exercise is not a requirement to lose weight it's a bonus that allows you to eat more and speed up the process and as far as i'm concerned you can't gain muscle and tone if you do no exercise at all.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Me either. What is it?
    [

High Intensity Interval Training - Push yourself get your heart rate up do it for a minute or two then slow down then repeat, At least that is how it was explained to me /quote]
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Lift 6 days a week and do minimal cardio. Hopefully going to start adding a bit more cardio into my routine soon
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I run 3-5 miles 3x per week and do stronglifts 3x per week on opposite days. I run MWF and do Stonglifts Tuesday, thursday, saturday. Sunday is my rest day, and occasionally if I feel like I need a rest day during the week I will allow myself one. It usually helps my next days workout by resting when my body tells me it needs to. Running takes me about 45-60 minutes plus stretching at the start and finish, and strong lifts takes me about 30 minutes, so I guess I really don't spend that many hours a week working out.

Give your body a break when it asks for it. It will reward you. I promise.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    4x per week if bulking, 6x per week if cutting
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options

Me either. What is it?
    [

High Intensity Interval Training - Push yourself get your heart rate up do it for a minute or two then slow down then repeat, At least that is how it was explained to me /quote]

Pretty much. it's also called circuit training
    Doing 1 exercise then another then another with no gap inbetween, then take a breather for 15-30seconds then repeat.
    Keep going for the length of your overall workout incorporating alot of different exercises.

The idea is that your body gets starved of oxygen supplies and thus works harder to get the blood/oxygen it has around the body which = more burn. and when you stop the body keeps up the work til your oxygen store is replenished back to normal limits so even when you aren't exercising you are still burning higher then your would normally.
  • CeriGrindrod
    CeriGrindrod Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    when ever and how ever i feel like and i am quite active!!! :) sometimes i do a morning workout then an evening workout too :)
  • torymichaels
    Options
    I just started making a very determined push to get actual exercise in. So, 4-6 days a week I'm doing 2-3 miles walking (3.5+ mph). I've discovered I can do 3+ miles in a day if I break it into two 1.65 mile walks (my phone GPS gave me the distance). I've got some major foot issues that seem to be cropping up, so I can't walk too long in one stint.
  • pennysaurus
    pennysaurus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm running 5-6 miles 3x a week and lifiting 2x a week. When my 10k race is finished ( june 3rd) I will lift 3x a week and run 2-3x a week. I always take at least one rest day, its just as important as training days.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    every OTHER day..I need a whole day to recover..Its funny 3 to 4 days a week exercise I burned more fat and built more muscle then the 6 day routine!!