Zumba?

missxlaur
missxlaur Posts: 286
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone here do Zumba? How many calories do you record for that because there's no real way to tell. I put down 500 because from what I've read that's on the low side, so better to underestimate than overestimate. Let me know!

Thanks!

Lauren

Replies

• sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    I wore my HRM and burned 504 cals, I am 5ft4 and weigh 140lb. I have been inputting that every week as was doing the same routine and working just as hard each time and didn't always have my HRM with me. A new routine has been launched since.

But... the new launch doesn't seem as fast and I am also not used to it yet, so probably am not working as hard, so I am going to wear my HRM again tonight to my Zumba and adjust the figure as necessary
  • odatcindy
    odatcindy Posts: 641
    Get yourself a heart rate monitor and you will know exactly what you've burned. I don't do Zumba because I just don't. It looks like fun, though; so I guess I need to look for a CD. For the heart rate monitor, I purchased the Polar FT4 with a chest strap. It works very well and keeps me on track with calories burned, how many minutes in my zone and the timeframe for my exercise. It runs about $80.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    is that per hour then?? I'm starting a class in a week or two and that would be helpful information!
  • Depending on intensity, you can burn up to 1,000 per hour. I do zumba too, and I would probably put down 600-700 calories. Like you said, I would rather underestimate than over!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I'm 5'5.5", 189#, and my HRM says I burn about 500 cals per Zumba class :)
  • Yea you def. need a heart rate monitor for that. When I wear mine it records that I burn over 1,000 calories every class. So get you one of those and you will be shocked at how many you do actually burn.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    They just started offering a Zumba class at my complex on Wednesday nights. I need to go down and check it out one day.
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    421 cals for me today
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    A great amount of how much you burn depends on the teacher. I take about four classes a week, and with some teachers, I'm lucky to get a 500 calorie burn. Other instructors, I can barely keep it up and get close to 1,000.

You also control a lot of the intensity...if you're really kicking it and shaking it, you'll burn more.

Super-duper fun, anyways...
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    I loved it when I tried it for the first time last Monday. I would go today but no class because it is a holiday. I couldn't find it in the database so I used the aerobic one instead. I don't know all of the steps so I feel that it was accurate. I didn't think I had gotten that hard of a workout until my legs and behind muscles remind me the next day.:laugh:
  • ljm0104
    ljm0104 Posts: 42
    I do the dvd's and I'm 5'1 186 and my hrm says
    cardio party-410
    sculpt and tone-290
    zumba live-670
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    A great amount of how much you burn depends on the teacher. I take about four classes a week, and with some teachers, I'm lucky to get a 500 calorie burn. Other instructors, I can barely keep it up and get close to 1,000.

You also control a lot of the intensity...if you're really kicking it and shaking it, you'll burn more.

Super-duper fun, anyways...

Yep! One of the instructors at my gym really is tough and I can hardly keep up, whereas another one stops between songs to teach the basic moves and it gives the heart time to slow down. I only burn about half the calories in her class..
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    5' 8.5" and 160 I would regularly burn 700-800 in an hour.
This discussion has been closed.