Let's petition MFP to use a REAL BMR/ TDEE calculator

Options
This post is for all of us out there who attack those "1200 cal/ day success!" posts.

From what I've seen, the people who go after those posts are genuinely concerned about the ruined metabolisms, yo-yo dieting, boomerang weight that occurs when people follow this recommendation. Although MFP was really only meant to be a calorie tracking site/ app, and a way to track exercise, people really do follow the guidelines and recommendations.

Now, if you are avid on this site and really read the threads, you'll come across "In Place Of A Roadmap" or "Eat More To Weigh Less" and you'll learn all about BMR, RMR, TDEE, net calories, etc etc.

BUT if you're new, you'll just plug your info into MFP and you'll be psyched to see that your options include "lose 2 lbs/ week" (well, who wouldn't want that!?) and it will tell you- lo and behold- 1200 calories per day. At least, that's what it told me, and I'm 5'4". It didn't seem unreasonable to me, but boy was I weak, cranky and exhausted on that calorie recommendation. Barely dragged through my workouts.

When I went to some of the calculators suggested (like the Scooby calculator, for example) I discovered that I averaged 1375 to 1450 as my BMR! That is well above the 1200 suggested by MFP! So in other words, MFP was suggesting starvation!

Well, starvation is not a long lasting solution to losing weight for the long haul.

This does not mean that a person might have that prescribed by an MD (say, someone who needs significant weight loss fast for life saving surgery) but it is not a good idea for those of us over 5' who want lasting changes.

What can we do to get the message to MFP that they should perhaps revamp their website a bit to have a real calculator embedded? There are so many good ones out there. Please please please stop suggesting this madness to people! Let people be guided by sense, and good health! Yes, it will take you a little bit longer to lose, but you'll look and feel amazing, and you won't bounce right back into your fatty jeans when you get sick of starving yourselves.

Who's with me? Can we ask for some changes, for the greater good?

many thanks
Greenmeena

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    They already do.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Exercise is calculated daily with MFP. When you go to a random website, you are plugging in your exercise before you even do it.
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    They do, the 1200 cals comes from users choosing the highest weightloss per week goal, which is both unrealistic and unsustainable.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you do it right, your MFP goal plus exercise calories comes out pretty close to the TDEE - 20% numbers. Or at least mine did.
    I'm sticking to MFP numbers for now simply because my workouts are unpredictable and I get bored easily, so I switch it up a lot.

It may be beneficial for MFP to add some suggestions for people who are just starting out about what healthy weight loss goals might be for a given start weight. But I actually think it's a good thing that people read about TDEE and calculate their own numbers for themselves. It's educational, and the more you learn about your body and healthy living, the better off you'll be!
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    But I disagree. As I said, when I calculated my BMR, it came out to 1375 (the lowest possible). MFP gave me 1200. It needs to be better than that. Most folk will go by *that* number, which is not based in reality
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    But I disagree. As I said, when I calculated my BMR, it came out to 1375 (the lowest possible). MFP gave me 1200. It needs to be better than that. Most folk will go by *that* number, which is not based in reality

Trying to lose 2lbs/week isn't reality for most either.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

1375 isn't the lowest possible BMR, I just dialled in my wife and it came out at less than that.

I think you're arguing for the maximum weight loss setting to be 1 lb/week ?
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

1375 isn't the lowest possible BMR, I just dialled in my wife and it came out at less than that.

I think you're arguing for the maximum weight loss setting to be 1 lb/week ?

I think the OP's statement of 1375 being the lowest possible meant for her particularly. She mentioned using several different calculators to figure her BMR and the lowest value for her range was 1375.

And I think you're right about the 1lb a week setting. Seems like anyone who selects losing 2lbs a week is given a caloric goal in the 1200 range.
  • yarwell
    Options
    And I think you're right about the 1lb a week setting. Seems like anyone who selects losing 2lbs a week is given a caloric goal in the 1200 range.

2 lbs/week is a 1000 cal/day deficit, so anyone with a TDEE of 2200 or less will be given 1200 as that's the minimum.

Limit it to 1 lb/week and anyone with a TDEE of 1700 or more will get a correct target.

It does say that the rate of loss will be less than the input value if the minimum applies, but that is either overlooked or quickly forgotten.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

2 lbs/week is a 1000 cal/day deficit, so anyone with a TDEE of 2200 or less will be given 1200 as that's the minimum.

Limit it to 1 lb/week and anyone with a TDEE of 1700 or more will get a correct target.

It does say that the rate of loss will be less than the input value if the minimum applies, but that is either overlooked or quickly forgotten.

When you explain it that way it makes sense to me. Thank you. I wonder how many folks are really understanding what MFP is trying to tell them.
  • challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I was doing the 1200 calorie thing when I first started a month ago..I didn't know really where to start. I had to learn through guidance of my wonderful mfp friends and reading on the whole science of it all. I am gradually increasing my calories. I had a 4 lb loss this week with the increase. I expect a lower number this week but I am glad I'm learning. Thanks for posting!
  • greenmeena
    Options
    Ok, there's a lot of interesting conversation but you're MISSING THE POINT. I was using my numbers as an example. If MFP were programmed correctly, so that it could tell you what your actual BMR is (based on body fat %, measurements, etc etc) then it would NEVER suggest 1200 for me EVER.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

If MFP were programmed to tell you- hey, your BMR is THIS number, never go below it, folks wouldn't be hitting a dangerous place of dieting too low. In other words, it would say- "Greenmeena, your BMR is 1375, what you need to survive. Eat at least this much." and then yes, calculate in your exercise etc etc. I'm no programmer, I'm just a concerned person who thinks that the flaw in this particular app is extremely dangerous for most people.

Is this making sense now?
  • greenmeena
    Options
    And the reason I'm concerned is that a lot of newbies see the 2lb/ week option and think, awesome! I want a bikini bod by summer! And they go for it (I did). Because it is an option. It is not a healthy option. I am currently eating at 1600-1700 per week and losing weight, doing heavy lifting. I figured out my numbers with In Place Of A Roadmap and Eat More To Weigh Less.

Just really worried about the misinformation and unhealthy goals that are set here.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Ok, there's a lot of interesting conversation but you're MISSING THE POINT. I was using my numbers as an example. If MFP were programmed correctly, so that it could tell you what your actual BMR is (based on body fat %, measurements, etc etc) then it would NEVER suggest 1200 for me EVER.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Not really, it calculates your BMR using a recognised formula and then uses it to calculate your daily activity TDEE. From that it makes a subtraction. There is no flaw in the logic, if applied realistically (which might exclude 2 lb/week losses). An obesity researcher would happily put you on 1200 or less in a clinical trial.

You may have a view that one should not eat less than BMR, for some reason. This isn't widely accepted, and isn't even prevalent outside this web site's forums.

So if your petition is about "don't eat less than your BMR" then that's been argued before and gone nowhere.

You may also need to consider the people who are able to limit their eating to 1200 or similar numbers and who do lose weight. Do you propose to make them eat more ?
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    At 1200 cals I should lose 1.1lbs a week! I have to be honest and say that it does leave me weak after and during workouts. I am planning to increase to 1300 and eat my exercise cals to see if this helps!
  • YourLotusFlower11
    YourLotusFlower11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think people need to use some common sense as well. I too selected 2lbs per week at first and I was given 1200 calories per day. I didn't even make it to day two I was just too hungry. So I upped it to 1500 and I was still going to bed with a rumbling tummy to the point I was getting up at night to eat a spoon of greek style yogurt. So I upped it again and I am now at 1590 calories a day. I feel those are sufficient and now that I have learnt how to eat to stay full for longer by eating complex carbs and protein I can even be full with 1350. I try to never go under 1200 but some days can just be off and as long as it is just occasional I feel I am ok, my weekly average also adds up so I am happy.

I lost 12lbs in 30 days and now my weight loss as slowed down to 1lbs per week. I am not worried about the short term goal of being thinner for summer anymore because I know that now I have changed my lifestyle I will be a healthy weight and fit for life.

People need to change their mindset and realise that all the rubbish fad diets that have been shoved on them are just a load crap.
  • sarajcurrie
    sarajcurrie Posts: 11
    Options
    "greenmeena" I very much agree with you. I want to lose weight slowly so that my eating habits change and when the weight is gone it does not go back on. The 1200 calories plus eating excercise calories is great when you only have a small amount to lose but if like me you have lots then we need to start higher to make it sustainable. If set too low where do you go? exercise of course but not everyone is able to or has an indefinate amount of time to dedicate. I have looked at other sites and have also found that I should be eating more, my BMR is 1617 on scooby and on 1618 on excercise 4 weight loss. Now you can do some really scientific calculations and may get your doctor to work it out for you but I honestly believe you need to start of slow and check your BMR on a regular basis so you can reduce calories as you go. I think this site is designed for people who do a lot of fitness hence its name. I am really only using it as a guide/tracker. People will learn more from the forums like I did. What we have to remember is people need to do what works for them we are all unique and whilst bodies are similar they are not all the same and do not react in the same way!
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Do you see what I'm getting ?

How about free will and choice? Personal responsibility?

MFP recommends 1 pound per week lost, and at least for me, those calorie counts would be close to TDEE -20%. If I choose to set it at 2pound per week lost despite their recommendations, that is on me. You, MFP or any other person or group is in not responsible for my choice, and quite frankly I don't want you to be.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Is this making sense now?
    most of the numbers are just estimates. Most people don't know their actual body fat. if your using one cheap electric grip things or a scale they aren't accurate. Even a caliper isn't totally acurate. most people have to get your numbers by trial and error.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options

How about free will and choice? Personal responsibility?

MFP recommends 1 pound per week lost, and at least for me, those calorie counts would be close to TDEE -20%. If I choose to set it at 2pound per week lost despite their recommendations, that is on me. You, MFP or any other person or group is in not responsible for my choice, and quite frankly I don't want you to be.

I like you, you are getting a friend request :flowerforyou: