Replies

• goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    word
  • fitelisa
    fitelisa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You have food addiction. Food is like a drug you just want it badly and once you get that food in your system its like a high. Get out of the food addiction replace with a new good habit. ITS ALL MENTAL THING TO LOSE WEIGHT. WILL POWER!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    BDE834FB-58C9-4061-852B-AA97681CCFCC-297-0000003475A63460_zps44efec24.jpg
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Years ago, when I was on weight watchers, I did find myself constantly focusing on food. I suspect that it was because my calorie budget was too restrictive. This time, I'm focusing on fitness goals more than weight, so that's what I think about: lifting, running, karate, hiking, etc.

I also find that pre-planning and logging my food makes me not think about it much at all.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I suggest sending out a few friend requests to some of the MFPs here who wrote something you relate to. Having pals expands your focus from logging food & exercise to wondering that SuzyQ did today.

Good luck.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You have food addiction. Food is like a drug you just want it badly and once you get that food in your system its like a high. Get out of the food addiction replace with a new good habit. ITS ALL MENTAL THING TO LOSE WEIGHT. WILL POWER!

Wow that was quite a leap. What exactly makes you so sure that the OP is an addict?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Years ago, when I was on weight watchers, I did find myself constantly focusing on food. I suspect that it was because my calorie budget was too restrictive. This time, I'm focusing on fitness goals more than weight, so that's what I think about: lifting, running, karate, hiking, etc.

I also find that pre-planning and logging my food makes me not think about it much at all.

This for me too. When my goal was too low I thought about food all the time. Now I'm satisfied.

I choose to eat on a schedule, which I realize isn't for everyone but it works really well for me. I never get hungry and I know that at certain times I'll eat whatever I've planned for the day.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Much better to just get fat!

:love: :love: :love: :love:
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was definitely like that initially. I've found that if I plan my day in advance and pre-log everything I don't think about it as much.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. I'm ALWAYS thinking about food now - what I can eat next, how long until lunch, if I can fit x calories in here, etc.

I find it strange that when I ate whatever I wanted, I never thought about food at all and now that I'm trying to make better choices, I think about food allll the time.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I used to think about food all of the time because I was hungry - started at too few calories the 1st week.

Then I upped the calories and still thought about what I was planning to eat because it was still new to me and I was having to plan to meet my goals. Plus, I would still get hungry, usually an hour or so before dinner.

My appetite finally adapted around week 3/4 and I don't really get hungry outside of meal times anymore. But, I still think about food a lot. Now it's because I'm trying to plan the tastiest and most satisfying meal that fits in my goal. Or, trying to estimate how much of the restaurant meal I can eat and still stay in my goal for the day. I'm getting pretty good at it :)

Eventually, staying at an acceptable intake will likely become second nature and I won't need to spare much thought about it.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Also, it helps to look back and see what days you overate and think about why.

Sure ways that I'll think about food all day (and into the night!):

Not eating breakfast. I have the same breakfast every a.m....and it always includes protein.

Not planning snacks: I ALWAYS carry a couple of apples with me if I"m out. When I need to snack, I have them. If I forgot them for some reason, I'll buy a small bag of dry roasted almonds at Starbucks or a convenience store.

Waiting too long between eating. I eat every 4 to 5 hours otherwise I make horrible choices.

Not knowing what I'm going to have for dinner. At the end of the day, my willpower is the weakest. So, even if I have a Lean Cuisine and a salad I know what I'm going to have.

Not planning a treat at the end of the day. At the end of every day I have a planned treat: sugar free fudgesicle (I like that it is a controlled portion) or a Skinny Cow bar.

You can do this. It will just take time.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you're running a significant calorie deficit, you're starving yourself--deliberately, and with a healthy goal, but let's not sugar-coat things (so to speak). It's not surprising that if you are truly hungry, you're thinking about food. You may also be thinking of food because you're deliberately trying to be mindful about food--specifically, about not eating too much--which of course means food is on your mind more often than when you didn't think about what you ate.

I found that after a few weeks I wasn't thinking about food as much as when I started my diet. Now, when I feel hungry, I try to focus on the sensation of hunger itself, rather than on food. Am I really hungry? Is this serious hunger, or something passing? Do I feel crabby? Often the sensation goes away after a few minutes, but if it persists too long, I'll have a glass of water, and if need be some celery or a dill pickle. Sometimes I'll just tough it out, though, and try to focus on the success I've had up until now.