Does your dog motivate you to lose weight?

Options
13»

Replies

• TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    No, my dog is an *kitten* and if I were to walk/run with her she would trip me every ten steps. My horses however, do motivate me to lose weight. They need exercise too and I don't like it when they groan when I get on. LOL!
  • Floatsby
    Floatsby Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Shoot. I wish my cat would motivate me to lose weight. But proportionally, she's fatter than I am.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Nope...not at all.

He's an almost 15 year old Rat-terrier, that dude doesn't do jack sh1t.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yes, she needs to lose weight too. I started before she did on the weight loss thing. She is 42 lbs and needs to get down to at least 35, but 30 is supposed to be better. Any who, I started walking her about 7 weeks ago and I think she lost a pound, which I gather is a really good rate for a dog. Sometimes she refuses to go for walks with me though. I try to get her out a minimum of 2 times a day, but I am really aiming for 3 haven't done the 3 very many times, but 2 seems to be her limit anyway. The other day when I tried to take her for that third walk she stopped and wouldn't go then she slipped her collar and trotted back home, we only got about half way down the block.

So, anyway what this means is that I usually put in 2 walks a day instead of just 1.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Please Please Please don't feed your dog cheese. Or any human food. Our foods are processed with so much crap that dogs cannot digest. Not to mention most dogs are lactose intolerant. You are not doing your dog any favors by feeding it human food.
  • AlexThreeClaw
    AlexThreeClaw Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My dog has quickly grown accustomed to the luxury of having me personally take him out for at least one of his walks every day. If I skip a day and have someone else walk with him, he makes sure to widdle on my trainers during the night. I'm finding this extremely motivational.
  • aTallLiam
    aTallLiam Posts: 75
    Options
    Yeah! My dog is a Rhodesian Ridgeback (not the one on my profile pic) and he is so energetic. I took him out for a 90 minute walk a couple of weeks ago and when we came in he was looking at me like "Dude... why we stopping?"
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    my tiny white dog DOES inspire me...

he was about 3-5 pounds over weight (which doesn't sound like much, but it IS alot for his breed)... he lost the weight he needed to lose... now it's my turn to finish.

I want to be able to go for jobs with him and I want him to start enjoying going for walks... versus him wanting me to carry him half-way through the walk. LOL. he's such a ham. :)
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Joey and I visit PetSmart weekly for our weigh-ins. He steps on first, then he gets off and I step on.

Employees and customers usually look at me strange initally, but when I explain that we're BOTH dieting, they think it's a great idea. If PetSmart starts a national people-pet diet club, you heard it hear first!

LOVE THIS!!! I should start doing my weigh-ins at Petsmart... however, maybe I should take my pittie with me instead of my Iggy... no contest there. :\
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My doberman was a trainer in his previous life! We walk/jog every morning at least 1.6 miles at 6:00 a.m.:yawn: He generally pulls me up the first hill and then its on! He doesn't have body fat although he weighs in at 95 pounds. However, I noticed after the first week of walking his muscles started bulking up. I imagine that although I can't see through all my body fat, my muscles will eventually show too!:bigsmile: He is an inspiration!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Man one of the reasons we got a dog is so I would be more motivated to walk... It hasn't worked so well. Our first dog was really bad on the leash forever, then we got a second one and it was impossible to walk both for me... and now the second one is the only one left and he hates other dogs and I just can't control him on the leash.

Maybe one day I'll have a dog that's actually fun to walk.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Man one of the reasons we got a dog is so I would be more motivated to walk... It hasn't worked so well. Our first dog was really bad on the leash forever, then we got a second one and it was impossible to walk both for me... and now the second one is the only one left and he hates other dogs and I just can't control him on the leash. .

Storm and I have walked for several years. Rather he walked, jogged, ran and stoped as he saw fit and I just held onto the leash!:angry: Recently, as I decided to ramp up my exercise, my SO started walking with us (former Marine K9 handler). I gave up control of the leash and let him have at it. Four days later he turned into the perfect walking companion. It was harder for me than for him but I think we now enjoy our walks much more. Get him a trainer. BTW Storm is almost 8 years old so you can teach an old dog new tricks!:bigsmile: