R u losing weight w/ no exercise n stickng to net cals?

hey, this is for people who have already lost weight or are losing weight....but without exercising and just staying under the net calories? Has anyone accomplished their goal just doing that..and not 5 or 10 pounds I mean like 50+. and how long did it take you?
Reason I ask is because in 1 month I have lost 7 pounds but only do exercise when i feel like it this week only worked out 1 time the most I did was 4xs the 1st week...
So I want to know that exercising is actually worth it or could I just stick to my net cals and still lose the weight.

Replies

• walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    I lost the first 15 pounds without exercising, only dieting. I think you can for sure get skinny without exercising but you will look a lot better if you exercise and tone and strengthen muscles plus it will help make your heart healthy. If you want to be HEALTHY as opposed to just skinny, you should probably exercise. A quote I like: Dieting helps you look good in clothes, working out helps you look good naked!
  • Of course you would still lose weight if you're eating in a deficit, but I would still exercise for its benefits. Will keep your body tighter as you continue to lose.
  • ^When weight training, that is.
  • I lost weight pretty quick by just watching the calories. I have thrown in exercising now about 4x a week. In a month I have lost 10 lbs. With exercise you will firm up and lose inches not just weight.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Calorie deficit is for weight loss.

Exercise is for health and to look good naked.

I lost a lot of weight without much exercise because of illness, but I also lost a fair bit of muscle in the process. I highly recommend adding exercise.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    I'm losing. In 20 days I'll be here logging one year.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member

yup.
    465 days in, I can attest to this.
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    Try to incorporate some cardio and weight training. In a year you will be happy you did..!
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    I am. I'm less than halfway to my goal weight and I've only done cardio like 3 or twice a month lol, I don't even count it. I've lost 12 lbs since april 1st.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Try to incorporate some cardio and weight training. In a year you will be happy you did..!

Yep. At 140pounds I am a size 6. I was also size 6 at 120 pounds. Thanks to exercise I am leaner even when 20pounds heavy.
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    I lost my first 65 pounds on weight watchers, just counting points, no real exercise aside from my daily walking around the city. It took 1 year.

However, my last 15-20 is being really stubborn, sticking to calorie goals wasn't doing much for me so I started exercising, which helped me feel better even though I wasn' t gaining a lot of muscle despite my best efforts, but wasn't helping the weight come off. Then I upped my calorie intake according to the TDEE calculations and that helped me lose 3 pounds, then my body adjusted again and I got stuck, depressed, and gained that 3 back, so, here I sit, at 0. My body seems to be fighting me to stay at this weight, but I have 15-20 pounds to lose to be firmly in the middle of my ideal weight range, I know I can lose it because I've got the fat, but I'm in a funk right now.
  • catmanor
    catmanor Posts: 85 Member
    I lost the first 15 pounds without exercising, only dieting. I think you can for sure get skinny without exercising but you will look a lot better if you exercise and tone and strengthen muscles plus it will help make your heart healthy. If you want to be HEALTHY as opposed to just skinny, you should probably exercise. A quote I like: Dieting helps you look good in clothes, working out helps you look good naked!

^^^ Agree with this..

I exercise everyday and I find it also helps my entire being.. the endorphins that get released just make me feel better all over
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Im not reading any of this.
    The answer is yes yes yes you certainly will.
    I didn't workout for the first month and lost several pnds
    I then had an ankle injury and still lost 4# in that month.
    I recently got serious with workouts.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member

yup.

SMASH the weights

I am looking MUCH better nekkid.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    I lost 50 without any exercise...but have learned the lesson others have pointed out...if you want to look good naked, lift some weights 3 days a week and eat at a reasonable deficit from your TDEE.

Trust me - it is not fun being 50 pounds lighter and flabbier than when i started!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member

yup.

SMASH the weights

I'm with these guys. Sure, you can lose it just on a deficit. But, you are going to much happier with the results you get if you exercise (strength in particular). You may just find that you set your goal weight too low to accommodate all of your new fancy muscles, and end up having less to lose - which is a total win!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    I lost 50 without any exercise...but have learned the lesson others have pointed out...if you want to look good naked, lift some weights 3 days a week and eat at a reasonable deficit from your TDEE.

Trust me - it is not fun being 50 pounds lighter and flabbier than when i started!

^ this and all related posts. Start slow, even if it's just walks and lifting what weight you can lift 2 or 3 days a week for 20 or 30 minutes, then work your way up. You may not want to, but once you get started you will feel better and once you are done with your workout (that special time out of the day you dedicated just to you and your well-being), you will feel accomplished and look forward to it more. It's getting started that sucks, but you'll be happy you did. :flowerforyou:
  • ThoseRabbits
    ThoseRabbits Posts: 65 Member
    yez i lost a lot of weight wit out excerise, but i want to lose more faster so i do 90 mins
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

yup.

SMASH the weights

I'm with these guys. Sure, you can lose it just on a deficit. But, you are going to much happier with the results you get if you exercise (strength in particular). You may just find that you set your goal weight too low to accommodate all of your new fancy muscles, and end up having less to lose - which is a total win!

Are my muscles fancy, Angie? :ohwell:
  • littlelouis
    littlelouis Posts: 54 Member
    It depends on how you want to look and if you want to be toned. I exercised for a while and toned up, but then I stopped working out and just ate the minimum calories I needed. Sure, I continued to lose weight, but I looked "fatter" than I did at a higher weight because I wasn't as toned and I just became skinny-fat. So yes, you can lose weight without exercise, but if you want to look more toned, then I would add in at least light strength training.