I WAS SOOOOO WRONG!!

JessicaBuff
JessicaBuff Posts: 233
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok I have lost about 30 pounds in 3 months..I thought it was because I had finally taken hold of my health! Boy was I wrong!!! I have severe adult ADHD..I have been on vyvanse & lexapro for a while..I just recently decided to stop taking it and the compulsiveness started!! I am CONSTANTLY eating or thinking about eating..I am still only 135, but i know if i dont get a hold of it I will keep gaining..I NEVER exercised..And I really didnt eat healthy, i just didnt eat!! The meds made me not hungry!! So I guess what I am asking for is HELP!!! where do i start?? what do i do?? I am so lost!!! should i go back on the meds?? Help PLEASE!!!

Replies

• jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    You need to talk to your doctor.

Jessica H
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    I got off of Adderrall specifically because I couldn't eat. :frown: Talking to your doctor is a good idea. Short of that, you're going to have to learn how to eat like a normal person... Perhaps mini meals is the way to go. That should keep your blood sugar more stable and curb your appetite. Maybe go into your food diary settings and set it up for Meal 1, Meal 2, Meal 3, etc. As long as you're meeting your calorie goals, you should be ok. And EXERCISE. But, yes, your body does have to adjust a bit after you quit speed. :wink:
  • JessicaBuff
    Thanks! I really dont wanna go back on it..And for those of you with adhd you know we dont know how to stick to anything! :ohwell: I guess now is the time to learn!!! lol
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    I read your post and am very intrigued!!! My son has ADHD and they wanted to medicate him... he is young. I decided to try a few things first, to see if could help him naturally. I did a ton of research and stumbled upon the "Feingold Diet". You can Google it and there is a website out there, I believe it is Feingold.org. Anyway, within about 2 weeks of "detoxing" him from the foods that he WAS eating, his ADHD "symptoms" completely disappeared, completely baffling myself, my husband, his doctor, pyschologist, etc. Everytime we stray from this diet, his ADHD comes back, so to speak. It's bizarre, but there is truth to the science. So anyway, we have not had to medicate him, just change what we have fed him...and he is/was on the extreme side with his hyperactivity!!!!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Why did you stop taking it? Did your doctor tell you to stop? If you didn't like how it made you feel than talk to him about switching meds or weaning yourself off it.
    Meantime, fill your home with low calorie snacks like veggies and fresh fruits and junk everything else to keep eating anything bad for you.
  • JessicaBuff
    Will be looking up the diet! THANKS!!

I stopped taking it on my own cause i felt like i was on speed the first couple of hours followed by a HUGE crash..My husband could not stand the way it made me act! I was an emotional basket case!! But I have been off of it a couple of weeks now,.and i feel that my emotional stability is better but not the remembering and organizing..Im the type if i dont have my meds i will 4-get i have grease on the stove and catch it on fire!! Im hoping i wont have to be medicated 4-ever tho
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    First of all, you should never just stop taking those type of meds. You should only do it under a doctor's guidance and they usually have you taper off. I think you should make an appointment with your doctor to get this straightened out.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    You need to talk to your doctor.

Jessica H
    ditto :)

I take Lexapro and it works well for me, though I take it for depression. It does have a mild effect on appetite but the reason I gained weight over the years isn't because of appetite issues. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: It was eating crap.

So I'm not sure I'm much help.

See what your doc says if it works for your ADHD but cuts your appetite back but you still get in all your daily cals it may not be a problem. I eat about every 2.5 hours and about 5-6 small meals a day, as I'm not sure that I've ever gotten my true hunger signals back on track.

It works for me,
    Hope you can find what works for you with your docs help.

All I will say beyond the above is. DON'T GO OFF LEXAPRO without easing off slowly with the docs approval, You'll so regret it and I say that only from experience. I've run out for a day or two, OMG what a mess I was, as it's also an anti-anxiety as well. I couldn't sleep, my skin was crawling, I was into major withdrawels in just a day.

Please be very careful on some of those meds to go off only with the docs approval and very slowly just like you went on them a bit at a time.

Becca:flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.