Skinny but wanting to get lean.

Options
Hey people it's my first time posting here so please be kind :)
I weigh 98lbs and I'm 155cm tall. I'm petite and skinny but my tummy is huge.
I go to the gym often and I do squats, lunges, bench press, shoulder press, bicep curls, lat pull down and rows.
All split up into different sessions of course. I find that i look smaller everywhere else except my tummy. Thing is, my weight still remains the same! I do cardio 3x a week.
My daily calorie intake is about 1200-1500 depending on days when I'm hungrier. I do take whey protein only post-workout and I consume carbs in the morning and afternoon.
My question is, how can I put on muscle mass without making my tummy even fatter? I understand that to gain muscle I have to consume more calories but I'm afraid it'll all be stored as fat at my tummy! I'm skinny but yet fat at my tummy, it's so disappointing :(

Replies

• MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    The right heavy lifting program and a slight calorie surplus. If you're lifting where the weight progressively gets heavier, all the added weight won't just store in one place.
  • minizombie
    minizombie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Does cardio help in losing tummy fat? I find that it's making me lose my muscles instead of fats :/
  • MisterDerpington
    Options
    I've never been in your situation, so I don't know from first hand, but I know a lot of people who will just lift 3x a week, and do very little to no cardio and will get in pretty good shape just doing that. If you do want to do some form of cardio/conditioning, you should probably try something high intensity in short bursts (tabata style workouts, hill sprints, pushing/pulling a sled like a Prowler).
  • minizombie
    Options
    Alright i will keep that in mind, thanks so much for your help :)
  • MisterDerpington
    Options
    No problem. I'm coming from a completely different place weight wise, but we all have our goals we strive for.
  • minizombie
    Options
    I wish you all the best for your goals ^^
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Does cardio help in losing tummy fat? I find that it's making me lose my muscles instead of fats :/

Cardio increases the calorie deficit which can reduce fat from all over. There is no spot reduction anywhere.

Since you are a very light weight right now, you probably need to eat a lot more than you think. I would shrink your calorie deficit to 10-15% less than your TDEE and concentrate on weight training as opposed to cardio.
  • minizombie
    Options
    I've tried calculating my TDEE from various sources but they all seem to differ so I'm not sure which should I follow. Is TDEE and BMR the same thing?
  • MisterDerpington
    Options
    I've tried calculating my TDEE from various sources but they all seem to differ so I'm not sure which should I follow. Is TDEE and BMR the same thing?

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the calories your body needs just for vital functions. TDEE factors in your activity level and determines how much you need to eat. I personally prefer Fitness Frog's TDEE calculator.
    This is also a good one:
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What kind of resistance training are you doing? Progressive weight?

You could reduce the cardio, increase your weights and that will likely get you where you want to go. Probably need to increase the amount of food you eat.

What are your macros?
  • minizombie
    Options
    I do strength training with barbells and dumbbells but they are considered light compared to others (because I'm petite and my muscles are not yet strong enough). I do cardio every Tuesdays and Thursdays (physical Ed in school).

Carb:fat:protein ratio is about 4:3:3

My weight fluctuates between 43.5kg to 45kg.
    I'm not sure if it's due to water mass because I drink at least 4 litres of water daily.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I do strength training with barbells and dumbbells but they are considered light compared to others (because I'm petite and my muscles are not yet strong enough). I do cardio every Tuesdays and Thursdays (physical Ed in school).

Ok, looks like you are doing great.
    Continue with the resistance training with a program that progressively increases to your limits and beyond (good starting programs are Starting Strength, 5x5 Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting...) grab a program, stick to it, and it will work. Increase progressively.

By building muscle, you'll lean out.

Edit: you'll find everything you need in this group here:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
  • RunEatLift
    RunEatLift Posts: 68
    Options
    If I were you I would start lifting heavy weights while eating at around maintenance or slightly above.
    Your stomach might be bloated rather than fat - this could happen due to things such as a food intolerance. Also some people just hold weight in different parts of their bodies - women with an apple shape often have more fat around their waist and stomach for example.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

Continue with the resistance training with a program that progressively increases to your limits (good starting programs are Starting Strength, 5x5 Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting...) grab a program, stick to it, and it will work. Increase progressively.

Edit: you'll fid everything you need in this group here:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Definitely agree!
  • minizombie
    Options

Continue with the resistance training with a program that progressively increases to your limits and beyond (good starting programs are Starting Strength, 5x5 Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting...) grab a program, stick to it, and it will work. Increase progressively.

Edit: you'll find everything you need in this group here:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Oh wow thank you so much! I'll definitely stick to my plan. But do I have to "bulk up" and then cut afterwards? Or does that applies to males only? Newbie here hehe.
  • minizombie
    Options
    If I were you I would start lifting heavy weights while eating at around maintenance or slightly above.
    Your stomach might be bloated rather than fat - this could happen due to things such as a food intolerance. Also some people just hold weight in different parts of their bodies - women with an apple shape often have more fat around their waist and stomach for example.

The only time my tummy isn't bloated is in the morning when I get up haha! Hmm define heavy? Because I realized I'm rather weak so I'm not sure what starting weight should I lift. I'm currently squatting only 22.5kg, bicep curls only about 4kg. I've got a loooong way to go!
  • minizombie
    Options

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the calories your body needs just for vital functions. TDEE factors in your activity level and determines how much you need to eat. I personally prefer Fitness Frog's TDEE calculator.
    This is also a good one:

Oh thanks! So do people usually eat the amount of calories of their TDEE/BMR?
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options

The only time my tummy isn't bloated is in the morning when I get up haha! Hmm define heavy? Because I realized I'm rather weak so I'm not sure what starting weight should I lift. I'm currently squatting only 22.5kg, bicep curls only about 4kg. I've got a loooong way to go!

If you're that light already, and your tummy bloats up after eating on a regular basis, I'd look into a food intolerance. Finding out I have a gluten intolerance and cutting gluten from my diet made a huge difference in my belly bloat and helped my stomach look smaller, even though I didn't technically lose any real weight - I was just swelling up like a balloon every time I ate. At 98lbs, I can't imagine you have that much actual weight left to lose.
  • minizombie
    Options

If you're that light already, and your tummy bloats up after eating on a regular basis, I'd look into a food intolerance. Finding out I have a gluten intolerance and cutting gluten from my diet made a huge difference in my belly bloat and helped my stomach look smaller, even though I didn't technically lose any real weight - I was just swelling up like a balloon every time I ate. At 98lbs, I can't imagine you have that much actual weight left to lose.

I'm pretty petite that's why 98lbs seems okay for my height :P
    Alright thanks I'll try tracking my food intake and see which is the culprit.
  • MisterDerpington
    Options

This is also a good one:

Oh thanks! So do people usually eat the amount of calories of their TDEE/BMR?

Your TDEE is the amount of calories you need to eat to maintain your weight? People usually use this number to either subtract or add calories from depending if they want to lose or gain weight.