Do you eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day?

Options

Replies

• scapalbo
    scapalbo Posts: 19
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry...I TRY to do 3 standard meals...but I don't always get breakfast in.

I snack throughout the day, if I'm hungry....if I'm not hungry, I don't snack. I stop eating when I run out of calories for the day, or I go to bed....whichever comes first..

I think, if you feel the need to strictly stick to prescribed "meal" times (either meals or snacks) so that you can't eat at 9:30-when you're hungry...because your snack-time isn't until 10:45, you may end up overdoing it at snack...because you held off.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    somewhat. I just eat all day. 4-5 little meals.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I graze. Probably 'feeding' about 6 times a day, I guess. It woks for me because I have low blood sugar. But I know people that just eat 1-2 meals a day, it works well for them.

I agree that any change in eating is probably
    good to help help one take notice of their eating habits and how to change them.

Try a few different methods and find what works for you.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals, no snacks most of the time.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I graze. Probably 'feeding' about 6 times a day, I guess. It woks for me because I have low blood sugar. But I know people that just eat 1-2 meals a day, it works well for them.

I agree that any change in eating is probably
    good to help help one take notice of their eating habits and how to change them.

Try a few different methods and find what works for you.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    yes!
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Three meals, two snacks.

Though technically I guess it's more like Two meals, three snacks as my breakfast is usually only something very small like a crumpet or slice of toast at 100cals.

Breakfast - 100cals
    Snack - 100 -150cals
    Dinner - 300 - 400cals
    Snack - 100 - 150cals
    Tea - 400 - 600cals
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Three meals yes, 3 snacks no. I usually eat:
    breakfast @8ish
    midmorning snack @ 11ish
    lunch @ 1-2pm
    tea time snack @ 5
    Dinner @ 8-10pm
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    meal frequency is not as important as macros consumed.

But to answer question 2 to 3 large meals typically.
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I just eat.. and eat... and eat. I reckon I will eat on around 10+ different occasions during the day. But generally (not this last week!) I stick to under 1900 calories or so. Everyone's different but I know that I need to keep eating - if I go for longer than about 2 hours I feel quite grumpy, longer than around 3 hours then I get faint and my stomach bloats (weird I know...!).
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks, because that's what works best for me. I have a hard time eating a lot at once due to some medical issues, so eating 3 larger meals a day instead of 5-6 small ones wouldn't leave me feeling very well.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Yes. I believe it helps me maintain my weight loss. I've been at goal almost 4 years now.
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 3 meals and 3 snacks everyday. My snacks tend to be: crackers, fruit, veggies, and low-cal pudding. Usually less than 100 cals. each. My meals vary. Dinner is usually my largest meal - between 500 and 700. I try to pack my lunch with lots of veggies so it's nice and healthy and low calorie.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I do 6 meals a day, approximately 250 - 450 cals each meal. I balance them out for a total of approximately 1950 cals a day. Doing this helps stabilize my blood sugar and was the final key to enable me to get off of my diabetes medicine. It's not difficult at all. You just think about what you want for the day & divide it up. Typical snacks include nuts, avocado, banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter, Greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, veggies, multigrain toast with honey & peanut butter, protein bar........
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    So, I heard through the grapevine that it is better to eat 3 small meals and 3 snacks a day. However, this concept is foreign to me and I would like to know more about it. Also, please post below some examples of what you eat in a typical day. Thank you.

Whoever told you this is probably under the false assumption that eating 6 times a day "stokes" your metabolism and keeps it running high. This is a myth. Various studies have proven the myth is wrong, but it hasn't reached everyone apparently. Even some fitness trainers still spew this "stuff."
  • kirk_clawson
    kirk_clawson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 meals a day, ~3 hours apart. There's a lot of broscience out there that will tell you this is to help boost your metabolism. Don't listen to that malarky. I eat multiple smaller meals simply as a psychological crutch. I find that when *I* eat only 2 or 3 meals, I have a difficult time staying within my calorie limits. Multiple smaller meals makes it easier for me because there's the mental game of "My next meal is only 3 hours from now, so I don't have to gorge myself".

Most of my meals are ~300-400 cals, except for "dinner" which is usually 600-800.

Here's a typical day for me, meal-wise:
    6:30 AM - 2 egg omelet with veggies and cheese
    9:30 AM - 2 packets of instant oatmeal
    12:30 PM - Turkey and veggie wrap with a side of celery or baby carrots
    3:30 PM - 1/2 cup cottage cheese and some fruit
    7:00 PM - Beef patty & side of cajun beans / Chicken Breast & side of steamed asparagus / Fish & side of broccoli, you get the idea. If I have calorie room, I'll add some rice.

On my lifting days I'l usually also have a protein shake or smoothie. I don't need the extra protein, I just like the taste, and it makes a nice, routine way to feel like I've "closed out" the exercise for the day.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It is a myth that eating 6 times a day increases your metabolism. I typically stick to 2-3 meals a day no snacking. In the end meal timing doesn't matter. What matters is that you stick to proper caloric and macro targets.
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't skip meals you don't necessarily have to do snacks but I find it easier to incorporate it all within my calories granted just started MFP but its plain sense to fit it all in. To each his own and you will find a balance as you go along. Take your total calorie allowance for the day and see if you can split it up for your meals and have left over for lower calorie snacks. Each person has individual tastes and needs nutritionally. I eat breakfast lunch dinner and snacks. Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me as a friend I would love to be a support pal....Lorrain
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual and the day. The same thing does not work for everyone and then the same thing may not work every day for the same person.

For me -- I do better having larger meals and no snacks, but it doesn't always work that way. And if dinner will be late I need a snack between lunch and dinner. I wake up and don't eat right away -- usually -- I have a cup of coffee and then I will eat an hour or so later (yogurt generally, but sometimes more) -- then I have lunch -- maybe a mid afternoon snack if dinner is late -- dinner and then if I am in the mood and I have enough calories left for the day I might have dessert or a late snack if I am watching a movie.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 meals a day, no snacking usually