Help me with creating an effective weight training routine

Options
Hey guys,

So I've been running between 4.5-5K every other day as my workout. I have already lost 8 lbs. but there's no difference in my clothes (:sad: ). I would love to incorporate some strength training into my routine, but not sure what I would need to do and how often I should do it. Running 4xweek is okay for the *cardio* aspect of my workout, but I know it'll speed up the weight loss process if I get some weight training in there.

My goal is to be 145-150 lbs. I currently weigh 165 lbs. I'm 5'9".

My problem area seems to be my thighs (they look and feel huge), so I would love to work on my lower body (including my core). I don't mind my arms so much, I know I could work on them here and there, but it's not my #1 priority. Just looking into really building strength in my core, glutes and thighs :wink:

Can anybody help me figure out a training routine that would help me reach this goal? Keeping in mind my cardio routine as well?

Thanks so much for your help and support! You guys rule. :glasses:

-M

Replies

• KCPT17
    KCPT17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It incorporates upper body, lower body, core, and even some cardio! Great circuit training workout routines that only last 25 minutes. You just need some free weights!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You could either start with new rules of lifting for women (a book you can get for a couple of quit on amazon) or Google stronglifts (a free programme all online) I'm doing nrol4w and really enjoy it and see great changes in my body!!
    But I also heard good things about stronglifts! I think this one is a bit more basic as it works more on the big compound movements that will give you a whole body workout in a pretty short amount of time. 3times a week is ideal +3 times cardio and 1 rest day...
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
    NROLFW http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Either one is win.
    Links are to support groups here on MFP to answer your questions about the routine, help with motivation, etc.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Have a look at something like the new rules of lifting for women, stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength. Lifting heavy , which roughly means you can't lift the weight more than 5 to 8 times. Heavy is what's heavy for you, and then you try and lift heavier as it gets easier. I only have access to adjustable dumbells at home, but I have noticed a big change in my body shape :)
  • 89nunu
    Options
    I started with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It incorporates upper body, lower body, core, and even some cardio! Great circuit training workout routines that only last 25 minutes. You just need some free weights!
    30 ds isn't really strength training. It gives you a good workout but uses pretty small weights
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I second the vote for The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm in my fourth week in the program and really like it :)
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips (do NOT get the Body for Life book that's specifically for women) is a great book with a great section for beginners, or really anyone, on weight training. The Before & After photos of regular people throughout the book are also inspiring. You could also just get a set of nesting weights to do the workout, so you could even do it at home without paying for a gym membership.

Link for book...
    http://www.amazon.com/Body-Life-Mental-Physical-Strength/dp/0060193395/

Link for Nesting Weights...
    http://www.powerblock.com/#&panel1-1
  • AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    Bump,,,
  • msmichydo
    msmichydo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far. Killer.
    Looking at Stronglift 5x5... anybody had any experience with deadlifts? I hear this is great especially for thighs and *kitten*. What are your thoughts on this? (Sorry, I'm a total newbie when it comes to strength training).
  • msmichydo
    Options
    Also wanted to ask: should I be weight training the same day I do my 5K runs? The runs take a lot out of me (in a good way though :wink: ) but not sure if I could do both if I'm wanting to do a serious weight regime as well. As far as it stands I'm only running 4xweek. Do you guys recommend that I run and the days I don't run, I lift, and then have one day rest? So 4xcardio, 2xlift, 1 day rest?
    What do you guys recommend? Thanks again. :flowerforyou:
  • 89nunu
    Options
    I do 3x lift and 3x run. That should be doable with a 5k. But you could do 2/4 as well just means you won't progress with your lifts as fast...

As to your other question, I just started about 5 weeks ago. But my body is morphing into a shape I never thought it capable of. I love deadlifts and they sure as he'll work my glutes!
  • annemcharles
    annemcharles Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have an awesome program that I follow 3 days a week and can be done right at home with some hand weights. I am a "pear" shape and have noticed (while also following good eating habits) that my thighs have slimmed down. I lost 2" in my hips in 6 weeks. If you want the plan, message me in my inbox and I will be happy to email it to you.
  • msmichydo
    Options
    I do 3x lift and 3x run. That should be doable with a 5k. But you could do 2/4 as well just means you won't progress with your lifts as fast...

As to your other question, I just started about 5 weeks ago. But my body is morphing into a shape I never thought it capable of. I love deadlifts and they sure as he'll work my glutes!

Good point. Maybe I could cut my running to 3xweek but just up the distance/time (currently training for a 10K anyway!) This will take time though, as I've just been able to reach 5K in the past two weeks or so. Ahhh, the joys of weight loss!
  • vorgas
    Options
    Lifting heavy , which roughly means you can't lift the weight more than 5 to 8 times. Heavy is what's heavy for you, and then you try and lift heavier as it gets easier.
    This is not an entirely accurate statement. A lot of times in the beginning you are limited to what you can lift because of lack of correct form, your stabilizer muscles aren't up to the task, muscles are untrained, etc. In addition you may only be able to do those reps a few times because of a lack of glycogen. For example if you ran a 5k first you wouldnt be able to lift as much weight, not because of strength issues, but because of fuel issues.

Heavy lifting will increase your bone density, provide a cardio component as your HR climbs under pressure load, etc. This involves weight that is a serious percentage of your body weight. Remember, each leg is capable of supporting your entire body weight on it's own. So you've got to be squatting much more than that to really be 'heavy'.

The general point being made by this post, is highly accurate however. You should generally be lifting at a point where you can't do much more than 8 reps. Whenever you go more than this, raise the weight.
  • vorgas
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far. Killer.
    Looking at Stronglift 5x5... anybody had any experience with deadlifts? I hear this is great especially for thighs and *kitten*. What are your thoughts on this? (Sorry, I'm a total newbie when it comes to strength training).
    Deadlifts are principally a back exercise. It builds wonderful balance in your body and is probably the single best exercise you can do to create great posture.

Squats work the entire posterior chain, and to some degree the anterior chain. Abs, hips, butt, quads, hamstrings are all principally worked by the squat. It's widely regarded as the single best exercise you can do, period. The benefits of the squat are astounding. Great cardio improvement, full body workout, and has compound benefits for lifts to follow it. Most routines that include a squat start with it. There's a reason for this.
  • adairbrum
    adairbrum Posts: 68
    Options
    Hey this may sound crazy but go on YouTube and search 7 minute workout. And do that 2 times 14 mins. Twice a day it is crazy easy and effective you will fell it !!!
    Hey guys,

So I've been running between 4.5-5K every other day as my workout. I have already lost 8 lbs. but there's no difference in my clothes (:sad: ). I would love to incorporate some strength training into my routine, but not sure what I would need to do and how often I should do it. Running 4xweek is okay for the *cardio* aspect of my workout, but I know it'll speed up the weight loss process if I get some weight training in there.

My problem area seems to be my thighs (they look and feel huge), so I would love to work on my lower body (including my core). I don't mind my arms so much, I know I could work on them here and there, but it's not my #1 priority. Just looking into really building strength in my core, glutes and thighs :wink:

Can anybody help me figure out a training routine that would help me reach this goal? Keeping in mind my cardio routine as well?

-M
  • sprale
    sprale Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Pilates does wonderful things to your core. There is a series on Youtube called POP Pilates that I like. Here is a video for beginners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCg_gh_fppI
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

-M

I'm doing Stronglifts 3x a week. I'll be back to running 3x a week very soon. My legs are looking slimmer and firmer, my bum is looking rounder and more pert and I feel great. Definitely give heavy lifting a try.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I also recommend Stronglifts. It's an excellent, simple program, that cuts out all the crap that most exercise programs add in for no real benefit (my biggest complaint with NROL, way too many unnecessary accessory exercises that do more to take away from the effectiveness than add to it.)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5 x 5, Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting.