Tell me yoga gets easier.

Options
I started doing some simple yoga exercises found on Youtube, and then bought Yoga for Dummies. I got halfway through and just couldn't move any more. It is so hard! I can really feel how heavy I am (214lb) when I'm trying to do a lunge or downward dog. I'm glad I tried doing it this way rather than signing up for a yoga class because I would just not be able to keep up.

My muscles are incredibly sore. How often should I be doing this? I walk every day, swim once per week, and do tai chi once per week.

Replies

• Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Keep going! The great things about yoga is that as you get fitter, you can challenge your body with asanas of an increasing difficulty. Twice a week should give you plenty recovery time.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Yes...it gets easier...And a little soreness means you used your body in a new way. Yoga isn't a competition though...take it easy and it will get better as you become more flexible. Also...a good teacher will help you at your own level, no matter what where that is, so don't be afraid to find a class.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I just found out about this yoga website for people who are overweight: http://www.heartfeltyoga.com/heavyweight_yoga.htm

I plan to buy a dvd or two to get started.
  • guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It does get easier, just keep up your practice and don't over do it if some things are difficult for you now? It is more about release and surrender? Keep your breathing in check and it gets easier. And soreness is good, since you are using your muscles in ways that you are not used to.

:flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    The fitter you get, the easier it gets.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    If you do some every day, within just a few days you should notice that you are reaching farther and balancing better than when you started.
  • LouiseH238
    LouiseH238 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Twice a week sounds perfect. I think it hurts so much today because I did it Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from YouTube and then tried the DVD today. Will take it slower next week.

I'd really like to be more flexible, so hopefully this will help with that. Thanks all!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Yoga is brutal in the beginning...I absolutely hated it.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I HATED yoga when I first tried it. I was so bad at it. I'm not even overweight, just incredibly unflexible. I almost started crying in class. Now I enjoy it more though. I still can't do a lot of the moves but I find it more relaxing than frustrating. Your body and muscles will start to adapt so don't give up!
  • shaitanslc
    shaitanslc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Anything you regualarly stress your body with will become easier for a couple of reasons....

1) muscle/strength increases
    2) your muscles and brain learn how to do things more efficiently

The secret is that you stick to it :) Good luck and enjoy it!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend a few live classes with a great, attentive instructor that can help you modify poses correctly. I did that a few years ago and it was SO worth it. You're not always aware while watching the tv (and not getting feedback) that you're maybe not aligned right or have your weight shifted incorrectly and that's so important so you don't risk injury.

I love yoga. Due to a past injury (ankle) I can't fully lunge into triangle or warrior 1 or warrior 2 but I still get so many benefits and I feel wonderful after doing yoga. It's worth sticking with and learning how to do correctly. It's a great destresser too.
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What about taking a beginners course? You'd be in a room with people who are all at the same stage as you, and a teacher who will get to know you and can show you modifications to the poses.

It definitely gets easier as you get stronger, but I've been practising regularly for 2 years and I still get sore muscles pretty often. I kind of like that feeling though. And it feels amazing when you manage to do something you weren't able to do a few months ago!

Stick with it if you can--it has completely changed my body shape and my outlook on life!
  • jofitzgibbons
    jofitzgibbons Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yoga doesn't get easier... you get stronger. c: It's always better to look at it that way. If you're waiting for it to get easier, you won't like it, and you won't challenge yourself to grow.
    I stopped doing yoga for a month and just started going back, and boy, do I feel it now. I used to go every single day.
    If yoga becomes easy for you, you're not challenging yourself enough. There are so many modifications to poses and different variations that you can do. Even the most seasoned "yogis" should be able to work up a sweat. So, try to think of it as more of a continuous path - When it comes to yoga, don't try to see the "end" of the road. There shouldn't be one! It's all about continuous growth.

Edit: It didn't occur to me until I read the other comments, but I agree - Find a nearby yoga studio and take a drop-in class. Just yesterday after practice the instructor came up to me and showed me how I was lining myself up incorrectly in Warrior 2, and I was putting myself at risk for injury. It's very helpful to have someone who knows proper form to show you how to do things the right way - It's not easy to troubleshoot that kind of thing at home if you're new to the practice.