i gained weight from gaining muscles

Options

Replies

• haleylj2003
    Options
    This was one of the hardest things for me to overcome! My scale wasn't budging, and I desperately wanted to see the scale go down. I was eating 1200 calories a day and working out an hour a day. It didn't start going down till I ADDED calories. If you are working out, your body needs the calories, if you don't feed your body, it will store the calories as fat! Keep working out, eat the right amount of calories, EAT CLEAN, and it will start to come off. And if you aren't getting enough water, your body will store the water, stopping the scale from moving. Look online for pictures comparing 1 pound of muscle vs 1 pound of fat. muscle is beautiful. Its much more compact and will give you the tight toned body you want. Healthy, strong is much more beautiful than Skinny.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

@jennifershoo thanks! i'll search it up {/quote]

Try this http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Your calf is beautiful. But that muscle is not new. You've had it for a while. It might be a little swollen or you might have lost some weight making it appear more defined.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Its just water don't sweet it. It will drop off eventually Ignore the scale for now and get a tape measure :D
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    I see my mistake. I need to start eating 1200 a day and doing cardio and drop the weights, then I'm gonna pack on the muscle. God, I'm soooo silly.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I love it when people who are already at the end of the journey give advice to people to eat more to lose more. Math is math folks. If eating more gives you the energy to work out more than eat more. If you want to eat more for other reasons, your going to have a very bad time.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    by only eating 1200 calories and working out. You probably put your body into starvation mode and it caused you to gain fat.

You need to UP your calories in order to gain muscle mass.

Same thing happened to me a few years back. I was barely eating and I went from 120lbs to 146 pounds...

sorry to hear about your situation.

Broscience much?

Broscience no, Metabolic Damage yes...

And what are your certifications?
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I love it when people who are already at the end of the journey give advice to people to eat more to lose more. Math is math folks. If eating more gives you the energy to work out more than eat more. If you want to eat more for other reasons, your going to have a very bad time.

Its funny that you say this but unless you have actually done the "science" part of nutrition, go ahead and eat your measly 1200 calories and continuously work out like a cardio bunny. Go right ahead and look up VLCD because that's exactly what you're doing. You're eating 1200 calories and not eating back your exercise.

so unless you've been there... don't be a know-it-all.

Thanks.
  • funkychickenbean
    Options
    I eat around 1200 calories a day and try to make it count by eating lots of good stuff. Most days I think I meet or even go over my protein requirements. This thing will tell me I am eating too few cals if I am below 1200 when I submit of journal at the end of the day. If you're not hungry and you've been eating like normal and around 1200 and fairly inactive all day I don't see how you would be in starvation mode, unless you're the type of person who is used to eating 2500 or more calories a day. Everyone's body is different, remember? Not everyone processes food in the same way, rate, etc. I do believe a person can wake muscles they have and start to see definition redevelop after a couple weeks.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Hello,

i'm encountering this issue here :sad: ..i weight 154lb and my ideal weight is 127lb (i'm a female 24 years old)..i've been eating healthy and watching my calorie intake by not consuming more than 1200 cal per day
    i also been exercising daily for an hour ..after two weeks i've noticed my weight hasn't changed and i gained muscles in my arms, thighs and calfs ..i wanna tone up but i wanna lose weight first :(
    should i diet first then tone it up? since exercising will only replace my fat with muscles..i would really appreciate ur advice :)

Thanks

Okay, rather than this thread turning into some meaningless fight, may I ask why you think you have gained muscle where you have? Have you measured the areas and seen a measured increase, have you calculated your body composition, or do you just think that you look bulky in those areas? Have you calculated your BMR and total daily calorie expenditure? What kind of exercise are you doing? If you're serious, then there is quite a bit of help available on here from individuals and groups.

Edit: Also, how long have you been at 1200 calories a day? Two weeks? What and how much were you eating before that?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

"Metabolic Damage"[All Fields] AND "humans"[MeSH Terms]

nothing related to eating at a deficit or exercise. Do enlighten us.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

"Metabolic Damage"[All Fields] AND "humans"[MeSH Terms]

nothing related to eating at a deficit or exercise. Do enlighten us.
    Metabolic Damage is a relatively new name given to the effect of a deeply suppressed metabolism by Layne Norton.. who has since made a video telling the world that NO, most of you are NOT metabolically damaged, because so many people have turned fanatic on the idea over night.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    by only eating 1200 calories and working out. You probably put your body into starvation mode and it caused you to gain fat.

Same thing happened to me a few years back. I was barely eating and I went from 120lbs to 146 pounds...

Broscience much?

And what are your certifications?

You are saying someone in this so called "starvation mode" would be gaining fat? do I need a "certification" to point out there is something wrong with that statement?

You are stating that her body went into "starvation mode" as in not having enough food to operate so it slows down metabolism in order to conserve. But you saying a body in that state will actually make her gain fat? you understand that fat storage is a result of the body having excess not being in a so called starving state.

So now I'm wondering what are your certification or any higher education for that matters?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    who has since made a video telling the world that NO, most of you are NOT metabolically damaged, because so many people have turned fanatic on the idea over night.

LOL. Thanks for the reference.
  • jazzi88
    jazzi88 Posts: 8
    Options
    This was one of the hardest things for me to overcome! My scale wasn't budging, and I desperately wanted to see the scale go down. I was eating 1200 calories a day and working out an hour a day. It didn't start going down till I ADDED calories. If you are working out, your body needs the calories, if you don't feed your body, it will store the calories as fat! Keep working out, eat the right amount of calories, EAT CLEAN, and it will start to come off. And if you aren't getting enough water, your body will store the water, stopping the scale from moving. Look online for pictures comparing 1 pound of muscle vs 1 pound of fat. muscle is beautiful. Its much more compact and will give you the tight toned body you want. Healthy, strong is much more beautiful than Skinny.

oh wow I wasn't aware of this! it's helpful to know someone been in my shoe and found a solution for it :)
    yeah I agree with healthy and strong is more beautiful than skinny!..all i'm trying to do is to lose the overweight and get fit and hopefully i'll be able to do that.
  • jazzi88
    Options
    Hello,

i'm encountering this issue here :sad: ..i weight 154lb and my ideal weight is 127lb (i'm a female 24 years old)..i've been eating healthy and watching my calorie intake by not consuming more than 1200 cal per day
    i also been exercising daily for an hour ..after two weeks i've noticed my weight hasn't changed and i gained muscles in my arms, thighs and calfs ..i wanna tone up but i wanna lose weight first :(
    should i diet first then tone it up? since exercising will only replace my fat with muscles..i would really appreciate ur advice :)

Thanks

Okay, rather than this thread turning into some meaningless fight, may I ask why you think you have gained muscle where you have? Have you measured the areas and seen a measured increase, have you calculated your body composition, or do you just think that you look bulky in those areas? Have you calculated your BMR and total daily calorie expenditure? What kind of exercise are you doing? If you're serious, then there is quite a bit of help available on here from individuals and groups.

Edit: Also, how long have you been at 1200 calories a day? Two weeks? What and how much were you eating before that?

yeah I measured my thighs..and they got slightly bigger..my BMR is 1489.6. and TDEE is 2308
    as for the exercise, I use crossing trainer, rowing machine, treadmill and jumping rope daily
    yes i'm very serious about losing weight, becoming healthy and getting fit..I've been on diets most of my life and I always lose weight then after I stop the diet I gain it all over again..i used to be very active at university and was at the basketball and tennis teams..since I graduated ( a year ago) I lost my fitness and gained weight ..I don't want just to lose temporary i'm changing my lifestyle by eating healthy food and taking care of my body.
    I read articles about the perfect calorie intake to lose weight which is 1200 calorie that's why I started with it.
  • jazzi88
    Options
    Your calf is beautiful. But that muscle is not new. You've had it for a while. It might be a little swollen or you might have lost some weight making it appear more defined.

Thanks, yeah I used to play sports for 5 years then I stopped for a year and now decided to go back to it
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks

yeah I measured my thighs..and they got slightly bigger..my BMR is 1489.6. and TDEE is 2308
    as for the exercise, I use crossing trainer, rowing machine, treadmill and jumping rope daily
    yes i'm very serious about losing weight, becoming healthy and getting fit..I've been on diets most of my life and I always lose weight then after I stop the diet I gain it all over again..i used to be very active at university and was at the basketball and tennis teams..since I graduated ( a year ago) I lost my fitness and gained weight ..I don't want just to lose temporary i'm changing my lifestyle by eating healthy food and taking care of my body.
    I read articles about the perfect calorie intake to lose weight which is 1200 calorie that's why I started with it.

If your BMR is 1489 (in my opinion) you should really be netting at least that amount, plus some of your exercise calories. BMR is the minimum your body needs to function if you did absolutely nothing.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

That doesn't even make sense.
    You gained 26 pounds by "barely eating"? :noway:
    Define "barely eating".
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    chuck the scale, get out the measuring tape, and take some comparison pics. Having muscle is far healthier than being skinny by 'scale' standards.
    If your clothes are getting looser then you are on the right path.
    I lost 14.5cm in 3 weeks, but didn't lose a single gram on the scales... those horrible things have been put away.
    Think about how you want your body to look later on.... think about what your short and long term goals are, don't stress about the scales, be proud that you are able to get into the gym and work on developing your body in a healthy way!!!