Barefoot Running, the new trend?

manetta1
manetta1 Posts: 138
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, I've been a runner since I was little. Lately I have been de-conconstructing my running more along the lines of a video called "evolution running". Its in a couple Triathlon books I have been reading. The new craze seems to be the Newton/Vibram Barefoot running shoes? I recently purchased the Vibram Bikila and absolutely love them. Has anyone else attempted to test the theory of the barefoot running? There is a good book out there about barefoot running called "born to run". I was just curious what everyones take is on Barefoot running vs. shoe running. Also If there are barefoot runners out there, if there was any tips you could provide for a rookie barefoot runner?

Thank you
Mike

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Can't really answer your question, but did see a fella out barefoot-running laps in the grass along side the 1 mile path I was on. We passed several times during my 2 mile walk. I was impressed his feet were tough enough for that. I'd be worried about pricklies in my toes!
  • FAKECED
    FAKECED Posts: 61
    I also have a pair of Vibrams and love them. I run a very small amount in them. i am flat footed so there is alot of impact. also you have to build up to be able to run any long distance because as you know you will be working muscles that have been neglected for a long time.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I have a coworker that has those types of shoes and he loves them and prefers to run in them as opposed to regular tennis shoes.
  • FIREfitGrl27
    FIREfitGrl27 Posts: 199
    I'm glad you posted about this topic. I'm very interested in trying out barefoot running. I recently viewed a segment about this type of running on HBO's Real Sports and it was intriguing to hear about how shoe running can cause knee and ankle damage over a long course of time. I've been experiencing some knee discomfort myself, but I know it's not all related to jogging in shoes, but also due to high impact aerobics several minutes during the week.
    I want to get the book "Born to Run"
    Message me and let me know how barefoot running is working out for you. On the segment I watched about barefoot running, it was amazing how they compared (a country in Africa with a high population of Olympic runners) to shoe runners. I'm up for trying something once is it can lead to a better way of me performing a task. I think it's a neat trend. It'll be interesting to see how it grows.
    The only concerns I'd have are the environmental hazards of broken glass, rocks, nails, and other debris that are commonly found on any city/town street or park that I might decide to run barefoot around, of course, I guess checking out the environment you're going to run in can easily solve this problem. I'd opt for wearing the 'barely there' shoes first and then gradually move into no shoes.
  • sweet4keeps22
    sweet4keeps22 Posts: 291 Member
    I'm not a runner myself, but when I saw this topic pop up, I thought I'd post a link to this article I saw yesterday about the increased frequency of planter fasciitis in barefoot runners. :ohwell:

http://trueslant.com/runningshorts/2010/05/30/barefoot-running-plantar-fasciitis/
    http://running.competitor.com/2010/05/features/the-barefoot-running-injury-epidemic_10118

Just food for thought for the Vibram runners in the room. I have no opinion or predisposition one way or other. :flowerforyou:
  • FIREfitGrl27
    FIREfitGrl27 Posts: 199
    I'm not a runner myself, but when I saw this topic pop up, I thought I'd post a link to this article I saw yesterday about the increased frequency of planter fasciitis in barefoot runners. :ohwell:

http://trueslant.com/runningshorts/2010/05/30/barefoot-running-plantar-fasciitis/
    http://running.competitor.com/2010/05/features/the-barefoot-running-injury-epidemic_10118

Just food for thought for the Vibram runners in the room. I have no opinion or predisposition one way or other. :flowerforyou:

The information you are providing is good to know for those who are interested in trying out barefoot running. The segment I viewed stated these concerns and others and had opposing views to the issue. It also included the author of "Born to Run" as a support.
    For anyone interested in trying this trend out, I say do your research, decide if you want to risk it, and try it out or not. Once you try it, you'll either find you like it and can handle it or you might decide not to go for it if the risks seem too great. Personally, I intend to try it out and see for myself what it is all about and how my feet hold up to the pressure. I've already had injuries with running shoes and walking/running around barefoot.
This discussion has been closed.