For those who can't run or have a hard time jogging...

I can't run or jog because I have horrible knees. Walking doesn't burn as many calories as I would like. It sounds like it shouldn't work, but buy a jump rope if you are in the same boat. it's easier on the knees from my experience and it's not hard to build up stamina. I am in the minutes of straight jumping rather than seconds when I started. I try to get a session in whenever I can. My knees don't hurt near as bad as jogging causes, I can feel the jumping in my legs and upper back/arm area. It definitely working.

Replies

• Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    could use a bicycle for extended cardio.... easy on the knees too
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Screw all that. Buy a prowler and a tractor tyre.
  • I have bad knees too. I do a bike and also Zumba and dance workouts.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    I have knee problem plus plantar faciitis which causes horrible pain in my feet. Do not know which cardio form to follow?
  • Zumba all the way!
  • badgerbabs
    badgerbabs Posts: 49 Member
    Do you have access to an elliptical machine?
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    I have knee problem plus plantar faciitis which causes horrible pain in my feet. Do not know which cardio form to follow?

I would suggest swimming. If you know the breast stroke, you can use that one. It burns a HUGE amount, gives you an over all body work out - especially with close to good form. Though, all of the strokes will give you a workout neck to toe if you have great form, and depending on your weight will give a decent burn.

And, the best thing about swimming for those with joints sensitive to impact - there IS no impact pressure, except when you push off the wall or floor.

And, if you want to, depending on the pool you are at, you can also water walk/jog with a much lower impact on the lower body joints.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    I am much too young to have "bad knees" but from a few untreated injuries and years of torturing them with my weight, I do. I play through the pain, though I do know when they've had enough.

Kettlebells are a great cardio and strength workout to try. Most of the movements have your legs stationary and they don't bother my knees at all! Plus it's super fun :)
  • jmzz1

I would suggest swimming. If you know the breast stroke, you can use that one. It burns a HUGE amount, gives you an over all body work out - especially with close to good form. Though, all of the strokes will give you a workout neck to toe if you have great form, and depending on your weight will give a decent burn.

And, the best thing about swimming for those with joints sensitive to impact - there IS no impact pressure, except when you push off the wall or floor.

And, if you want to, depending on the pool you are at, you can also water walk/jog with a much lower impact on the lower body joints.
    The worst scenario. ... do not posses swimming pool any where near my area
  • Hunnergomeow
    Hunnergomeow Posts: 231 Member
    I have torn cartilage in my right knee and an issue with the lumbar vertebrae (from over stretching) so until my doctor clears me to run I mostly walk, hike, and go mountain biking. You could try one of those basic aerobics programmes you can get off DVD, those aren't too bad.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Skipping rope. It isn't high impact if you skip properly.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I like walking with incline on the treadmill, rebounder, and lifting weights. The elliptical and bike are good, I just don't like them as much. Swimming is great. If I had access to a big pool all the time, I'd do more of that.
  • sznnn
    sznnn Posts: 46 Member
    If you have access to one, an Arc Trainer is pretty easy on knees. I have dislocated mine twice and it's been a tough recovery from the second time. I have been crazy nervous about over doing it. I started walking a few weeks ago, but inclines really hurt. I just started the 30 Day Shred this week and was nervous about the jumping jacks and jump rope, but it's been fine. :)

Good luck. I think making the quad stronger is the best thing for the knees. My plan is to work hard, work smart and pay attention to how my knee is feeling. :)
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    I like walking with incline on the treadmill, rebounder, and lifting weights. The elliptical and bike are good, I just don't like them as much. Swimming is great. If I had access to a big pool all the time, I'd do more of that.

My knees always hurt way worse on an incline :L But it burns more calories, so I'm always torn!
  • BevBasil
    BevBasil Posts: 37 Member
    Building up your quads, hamstrings and you butt muscles will do a lot in helping to end your knee pain.
  • bubbapup1
    bubbapup1 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello all. New to the forum. I am responding to those who are saying they have bad knees and especially to the one with plantar fascitis. I get that from time to time as well, so I feel your pain. It once stuck around for almost 2 years so I had to find something other than the elliptical to do. I agree with the whole swimming idea, but for those without access to one, I would have to suggest rowing. It's a much overlooked exercise. It works the entire body, head to toe. They had a rowing machine stuffed in the corner of the gym that I used at the time, and nobody ever used it. I don't know why, because I got on the thing and it kicked my *kitten*! Well, the gym I go to now doesn't have one, so I'm considering getting one for at home. Luckily my feet are doing well now, so I'm able to do the elliptical, but I sure would love to mix it up myself. Good luck everyone!
  • jmzz1
    Hello all. New to the forum. I am responding to those who are saying they have bad knees and especially to the one with plantar fascitis. I get that from time to time as well, so I feel your pain. It once stuck around for almost 2 years so I had to find something other than the elliptical to do. I agree with the whole swimming idea, but for those without access to one, I would have to suggest rowing. It's a much overlooked exercise. It works the entire body, head to toe. They had a rowing machine stuffed in the corner of the gym that I used at the time, and nobody ever used it. I don't know why, because I got on the thing and it kicked my *kitten*! Well, the gym I go to now doesn't have one, so I'm considering getting one for at home. Luckily my feet are doing well now, so I'm able to do the elliptical, but I sure would love to mix it up myself. Good luck everyone!
    What is rowing?
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    This might seem strange, but the young teenager daughter of a co-worker has really bad knees. The doctors have suggested trampolining . It should strengthen her knees. I know this is a kid thing, but it's another idea that might be fun.
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member

Had this problem invest in some good insoles. I find they help so much but they do wear out but so worth a new pair when needed.
  • meaningful99
    meaningful99 Posts: 174
    What is rowing?

Rowing is using a rowing machine, which simulates rowing a boat. You have to be careful about form to make sure you don't strain your back, but it's a great whole-body workout that does not exacerbate plantar fasciitis.