Low blood pressure being triggered :(

Options
I have low blood pressure (not the healthy kind but the drop so low I pass out kind) I don't really like the taste of salt, not a fan of things like potatoe chips or any salty food really, but I'm supposed to keep my salt content up to keep my drops from being so frequent. Well since I"ve started using mfp and eating healthier I think my sodium intake is decreasing because healthier options naturally have lower sodium... I've been having more frequent drops in my blood pressure as a result and then it keeps me drained for a good day :( Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to bring up my sodium intake without having to resort to things like chips and junk that will ruin what i've been working for? (my old fix was to grab a small bag of cheetos and that ussually did the trick :p ) Or even options that don't include salt?

Replies

• medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have low blood pressure (not the healthy kind but the drop so low I pass out kind) I don't really like the taste of salt, not a fan of things like potatoe chips or any salty food really, but I'm supposed to keep my salt content up to keep my drops from being so frequent. Well since I"ve started using mfp and eating healthier I think my sodium intake is decreasing because healthier options naturally have lower sodium... I've been having more frequent drops in my blood pressure as a result and then it keeps me drained for a good day :( Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to bring up my sodium intake without having to resort to things like chips and junk that will ruin what i've been working for? (my old fix was to grab a small bag of cheetos and that ussually did the trick :p ) Or even options that don't include salt?

When I first started getting into all of this I was getting bouts of low BP too despite drinking enough water. I was getting orthostatic drops (when you stand up,etc), never actually passed out though.

It wasn't until I actually DID add salt to my diet, that I now have a normal BP. I put lite salt (50% NaCl, 50% K) on just about everything now.
    I've never used a salt shaker in my life prior to this honestly, if you're really having problems though you probably DO need to up your intake. Most types of nuts/seeds come salted by default. I put salt on meat/veggies/etc and usually don't even taste it.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with medic; just add salt to the healthy foods you are eating already. No need to add junk foods.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I already add salt to the foods I cook... I just don't add a ton because I really kind of dislike the taste of salt :( Even burns my mouth? Does that happen to anyone else? Kind of hoping theres other options besides salt that helps with that?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    soy sauce?

Look for lists of things to avoid on a low sodium diet, and eat more of the healthy ones.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Have you tried some of the salt replenishing drinks?

I usually just add a few pinches of salt to a small drink of water.
    It tastes foul, but it works and is quick.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I already add salt to the foods I cook... I just don't add a ton because I really kind of dislike the taste of salt :( Even burns my mouth? Does that happen to anyone else? Kind of hoping theres other options besides salt that helps with that?
    Have you tried the lite salt that medic mentioned? I use that as well. BTW, I looked at your profile and you need to be in front of the camera.
  • operation_cute
    Options
    @jbruced Thank you :) But aside from headshots I have a long way to go before I put myself in front of the camera :p At 211 I'm not so thrilled with the results when I do haha
    @sussannamarie I use soy sauce sometimes, I like to cook with it :) So on those days I suppose i'm good :)
    @zylahe What kind of drinks are sodium replenishing? I've tried adding small amounts of sodium into my water but yuck :( I can't stomach even getting past a few sips :p
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with low bp too and have done some looking into it. Eating and drinking generally will raise it temporarily, as will caffeine. So you could try eating smaller meals more often, and make sure you are drinking as much as you can. Also, make sure you're not accidentally doing anything to lower it further -- I was on a ginger kick for awhile, using it in everything and making tea out of it, etc, and noticed I wasn't feeling so great and then read that ginger can lower bp -- I cut it out and felt fine again. Sorry I can't help more! Hopefully you can find some kind of sodium-containing supplement you like.
  • operation_cute
    Options
    ugh I had no idea ginger lowered it! I love using ginger.... taei chi is my favorite use of it lol
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Pickles & Olives!
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a soup eater, but I reach for miso paste when I need a quick boost of sodium.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Bread, ketchup, salsa, pickles, cold cuts, canned soup . . .
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues! I faint from sudden blood pressure drop if I move too quickly from horizontal to vertical position. I have to craft my workout routines around it. (No Turkish getups or burpees allowed for me.) My doctor also recommended increasing my sodium. I'm not a big salt fan and my sodium intake falls low if I don't monitor it.

Recently, My go-to solution is beef jerky - especially on workout days when I know I will be sweating out some salt. I also always drink 2-4 caffeinated drinks every day.

I ordered a box of Jack Links packets on Amazon. 880 miligrams of sodium. 21 gr protein, 5 gr carbs and 1.5 of fat.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Try asian food - cook w/ fish sauce and as already mentioned, soy sauce.

How about canned foods - canned beans have a fair amount of sodium.
  • kbinsobeih
    kbinsobeih Posts: 8
    Options
    try vegemite or marimite, they are concentrated yeast extracts loaded with sodium. It is an acquired taste i'm not sure you're going to like it.
  • operation_cute
    Options
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys :) I'll be trying quite a few of them throughout different days and different meals and seeing how my blood pressure reacts :) I don't think I ever took into account that I was loosing sodium during exercise.... to be honest I was wondering how making myself healthy could possibly have a negative effect like that haha and now it makes a little more since :)