100g of protein without bars or shakes?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Unless I OD on boneless/skinless chicken breasts I have a hard time getting to 100g without a 22g protein shake.

You don't need to live of boneless chicken breast. I find it really easy to eat my protein without exaggerating my meat/fish intake . I have never had a protein shake or bar, but eat a wide variety of foods including rice and beans as well as corn and beans which also make protein.

Protein:

1cup chicken/turkey 41 grs
    1 cup oats 10 grs
    2 eggs 14 grs
    2 quesadillas ( corn
    tortilla and cheese only ) 9 grs
    ham&cheese sandw. 16 grs
    fish 6oz 35 grs
    tuna ( canned ) 2.5 oz 16 grs

and I have not listed all the other stuff, like yogurt, cheese and other protein foods yet. If you don't want to use shakes and bars, there should really be no reason that with a bit of planning you can reach 100grs without problems.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    NVM
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    It would be only hard if you were consuming a fairly low calorie diet.
  • jakkisr
    jakkisr Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Also soy aint a good idea for men as the estrogen gives guys Moobs!
    Oooo! Now, there's a good idea for me to start adding soy! ;) err not a guy, but maybe same effect on gals?!?!! Add some chick peas OP great for calcium and protein - personally, I,ve never done a protein shake or any other food shake in my life and pretty sure I never will.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    OP, I peeked in your diary and noticed a problem--your egg logging is using an inaccurate entry. One large egg has 6 grams of protein, not 1.5. You might be getting more protein than you think!

I look for USDA entries for generic ingredients and sometimes check them against the actual database for accuracy:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/111
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Natural low fat fromage frais / quark is actually a better idea than greek yoghurt. Tastes just like yoghurt, only really thick and has 13gr protein per 100gr, rather than greek yoghurt which has 10gr protein per 100gr.

Jerky / Biltong both very high in protein.

Tinned fish.

Beans / peas.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OP, I peeked in your diary and noticed a problem--your egg logging is using an inaccurate entry. One large egg has 6 grams of protein, not 1.5. You might be getting more protein than you think!

I look for USDA entries for generic ingredients and sometimes check them against the actual database for accuracy:

I had never noticed. Ugh. Thanks.

Unfortunately we can't find fromage frais here, or I'd be all over it. Damn Americans :p
  • Matt24442
    Matt24442 Posts: 324
    Options
    Beef jerky, reeses peanut butter cups and chocolate milk
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

I had never noticed. Ugh. Thanks.

Unfortunately we can't find fromage frais here, or I'd be all over it. Damn Americans :p

The best bang for the buck that I've found, protein-wise, is fat-free ricotta. You get 6 g of protein at 30 calories per serving and it tastes like Italian cheesecake.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could get a second opinion. I don't think you need all that protein (not 100), plus isn't excess protein hard on the kidneys?
    100g is hardly excessive, but no, there is no proof to support that theory when the kidneys are otherwise working fine.

the last time i saw the doc, he just recommended drinking more water to prevent the excess
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

The best bang for the buck that I've found, protein-wise, is fat-free ricotta. You get 6 g of protein at 30 calories per serving and it tastes like Italian cheesecake.

This I did not know. Must investigate.

OP, I regularly get at least 125 g per day, with no bars or shakes, and I like a lot of variety in my diet (I'm not eating plain chicken breast every day!!!) My staples are yogurt, cheese, good-quality grains, all kinds of meats, eggs, fish... Feel free to have a look at my diary.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Today with exercise my protein goal is in the 150s :noway: In fact, on days I actually I hit my protein goal, I feel like celebrating! I have been trying to eat lots of Greek yogurt and I just recently started making smoothies with Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Natural Whey (vanilla) and throw some yogurt into those sometimes. I'm finding that if I have protein heavy breakfasts and lunches I do better hitting the goal. Problem is I love love steel cut oats in the morning which doesn't do a ton for my protein levels.

You can still have tonnes of protein at breakfast and have those steel cut oats.

Mix your favourite protein powder ( vanilla or unflavoured or whatever you like) with water in a shaker. Use this to cook the oatmeal in. If you serve it with an egg, depending on the protein powder you should be able to get 40 or more grams this way alone. I know this is still using protein powder, but it's better than just chucking it back.

The other thing you can do is buy the unflavoured powder, mix it with a little water (so you don't get clumps) and throw it in with whatever you are making as the liquid portion.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Shrimp - 6 ounces has about 180 calories and 36 grams of protein.

I like to wrap mine in bacon :glasses:
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Meat, yogurt, milk Go eat them