Lactose intolerance

Options
Not sure if this is the right place for posting but am looking for advice.

I have been doing mfp for the last couple of weeks eating OK not great usually under cal but not all that healthy,been focusing more on exercise.

Any way today I decided to treat myself to pizza a veggie one. I got through about half being feeing I'll having to use the bathroom. I feel the same after a latte as well but am fine with milk in teas and cereal.

So do you think it's the lactose or something else?

Thanks

Replies

• punkybrewster88
    punkybrewster88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hubby is lactose intolerant, and it generally takes about 8-12 hours for your body to metabolize the lactose so you wouldn't be having an immediate reaction to the milk unless you also had milk 8-12 hours ago (i.e. pizza for dinner, then eating breakfast actually gets the intestines moving which will start the intestinal reaction). Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but maybe it points you in the right direction?
  • Berry2084
    Berry2084 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well I had porridge made with milk for breakfast? Its always seems pretty soon after with lattes though so OK don't really have those anymore.

Thanks for the info
  • punkybrewster88
    punkybrewster88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If it is lattes, it could actually be the coffee, not the milk... I know coffee has been known to have a laxative effect on some people.
  • tokig0313
    tokig0313 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Different people react differently.

I know even as little as 1/4c of regular milk in a drink can leave me cramped, running to the bathroom and miserable for hours in as little as half an hour after consumption.

Sour cream is a huge no no as well for me, but I do OK generally with small amounts of cheese, full fat or lactose free yogurts (0% regular is bad) and with small amounts of some other things.

For me it's been a lot of trial and error. I removed all dairy from my diet for 3 weeks (remember to take calcium supplements) and then begin adding one new thing a week and playing with different brands, quantities, etc. I learned what I was OK with, what I need to make sure I pop lactose pills for before eating, and what I need to avoid at all costs.

I still on occasion eat something I regret be it cause I like it, or that I think I'll be fine and clearly wasn't.

Hopefully that helps
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is the right place for posting but am looking for advice.

I have been doing mfp for the last couple of weeks eating OK not great usually under cal but not all that healthy,been focusing more on exercise.

Any way today I decided to treat myself to pizza a veggie one. I got through about half being feeing I'll having to use the bathroom. I feel the same after a latte as well but am fine with milk in teas and cereal.

So do you think it's the lactose or something else?

Thanks

It could be a zillion and one different things that caused it (if it was a food allergy) you would have to cut out different foods and keep a diary, eliminating foods one by one for a 2 week period.

It could be simply that you have contracted a `bug` it could be the change in diet, not eating stodgy foods for a short while ...the list is endless
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and I find some things make me more sick than others. I had a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks last fall, not realizing the syrup wasn't lactose free, and was immediately violently ill, which lasted for hours. A tablespoon of Tzatziki sauce, to my extreme displeasure, makes my stomach cramp horribly but only later when I start to digest it. I agree with the other poster who said it's trial and error, and you can always take lactose digestive aids (lactaid, etc.,) if you're going to eat pizza or something with a high lactose cheese (soft cheese vs. hard cheeses, basically) though the pills don't always help me avoid the "cheese quease"
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Taking 8-12 hours is untrue. It depends on the severity of the intolerance. If I were to go to the kitchen and drink a glass of milk, I would be in the bathroom within the hour.

OP, the only way I could figure out I was LI was to test. I did exactly as described above at different times of the day, and each time had the same results. Oddly enough, greek yogurt does not bother me. If a bowl of cereal where you drink all the milk doesn't bother you, I don't think that sounds like intolerance. Was the latte hot? I know a hot cup of joe always gets my intestines going, at any time of day! Also, perhaps it was a coincidence for the pizza, or perhaps eating half of a pizza stimulated your GI tract enough that you had to use the restroom. I always have to go after a big meal.
  • tokig0313
    tokig0313 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Something else to keep an eye out for is that generally the higher the fat content in milk products, the lower the lactose levels generally are if you're trying to get a rough idea as to how you may react to something new when trying different things.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and I find some things make me more sick than others. I had a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks last fall, not realizing the syrup wasn't lactose free, and was immediately violently ill, which lasted for hours. A tablespoon of Tzatziki sauce, to my extreme displeasure, makes my stomach cramp horribly but only later when I start to digest it. I agree with the other poster who said it's trial and error, and you can always take lactose digestive aids (lactaid, etc.,) if you're going to eat pizza or something with a high lactose cheese (soft cheese vs. hard cheeses, basically) though the pills don't always help me avoid the "cheese quease"

Lactaid doesn't work for me, either. Neither does the Lactaid milk. Still bothers my stomach, just not to the extent of regular milk. I stick to soymilk or almond milk. Sometimes, like a few days ago, a nice, cold glass of real milk sounds so good so I have just a little one, even though I know the consequences! :laugh: That is very, very rarely though.
  • kailexx
    kailexx Posts: 197
    Options
    I have the exact same problem, drinking coffee, cereal, milkshakes, anything like that is fine for me, but if I drink chocolate milk, or eat kraft dinner or anything like that with milk, my stomach just immediately rejects it. I always figured it was lactose intolerance starting, but I never could understand why it was so random. It's pretty controllable though i find and only lasts maybe 5 minutes tops.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Depending on the amount of dairy I'm eating (eg cheese fries vs. cheese in my salad) I get very sick within 30 minutes of consuming it. My body rejects it pretty quickly in "larger" quantities. A little in a salad is fine. I mostly use Almond milk and vegan cheese and butter when I'm eating something that isn't baked. I have no problem if I'm eating it in a baked dish (ie cake).

Everyone's body is different and we react differently to things.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Just so you know some people are not affected by the lactose, but by the protein or the fat. These are different intolerances altogether but it has similar IB symptoms...dairy is a pretty series alergin for a lot of people and many don't even realize it because they have gotten used to the annoyances and just think it's part of life...

I am really sensitive to some dairy products like cheese, but others like greek yogurt I am fine with. I love cottage cheese but I have to be careful with how often I eat that, and I have to take fiber and probiotics with my whey protein in order for it to digest right. I have since started to rotate protein powders types. I use both plant based proteins (pea, and rice) and egg/beef protein powders now so I do not get too much whey and my digestive system is much happier.

Personally I do not drink fluid milk regularlly. I just don't get the point. I am not a baby cow and really have no use for the additional calories. I eat plenty of calcium and protein rich foods to get my nutrients in other more pleasant ways.

Well, unless I eat chocolate chip cookies then I have to have some milk...yeah not a really good combo when trying to lose weight so I pretty much stay away from both except on my cheat meals. :tongue:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    lactose intolerance and milk allergy are two different things

lactose intolerance is where the enzyme that digests lactose (the sugar in milk) is absent or not enough of it is produced, so it can't be digested. Lactose intolerance causes gastric problems as the milk cannot be digested so the body gets rid of it. In some cases it stays in the intestines and gut bacteria try to break it down and this causes bloating and gassiness.

milk allergy is an allergic reaction to the protein in milk and can cause allergy symptoms such as hives, in addition to gastric symptoms - gastric symptoms occur because the milk comes into contact with the stomach, intestines etc and cause a local allergic reaction which irritates them, hence gastric symptoms. Milk allergy can also cause similar irritation in the mouth and oesophagus, and people with food allergies may experience symptoms like tingling/itching of the lips, mouth, throat etc. Severe food allergies can cause anaphylactic shock, which can be fatal

lactaid and similar products only work on lactose intolerance, they are useless for milk allergy. Antihistamines would soothe the symptoms of milk allergy, although for a severe allergic reaction you would need to dial 999 (or 911 depending what country you're in)
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Something else to keep an eye out for is that generally the higher the fat content in milk products, the lower the lactose levels generally are if you're trying to get a rough idea as to how you may react to something new when trying different things.

I know this is an old post, but I'm searching LI info & came across this. I've noticed while looking for lactose free things at the store today, that they are most always high in fat - which of course, I'm trying to watch as well.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

I know this is an old post, but I'm searching LI info & came across this. I've noticed while looking for lactose free things at the store today, that they are most always high in fat - which of course, I'm trying to watch as well.

Take the tablets instead, then. The vanilla kind are yummy, too :)