Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Some people unintentionally discouraging/frustrating me?

2»

Replies

• 4n6babe
    4n6babe Posts: 33 Member
    Huh!

My BF puts my current "fitness" phase down to a temporary blip. Apparently I go through phases lasting no more than 2 years, although I stopped smoking almost 4 years ago and have been a season ticket holder at West Ham for 16 years (my most expensive habit).

I acknowledge their comments, and use it as fuel to reach my goals :smile:

Wow! Congrats on all your weight loss and quitting smoking!! I think after those things you deserve to always splurge on the season passes :)
  • HollyTsab
    HollyTsab Posts: 120 Member
    Chalene Johnson has said before "If your friends won't workout with you then it's time to get new friends." The point being is to surround yourself with like minded people. It helped me to have an online support system during those periods that I felt all alone. In all seriousness it's most likely because they themselves are insecure in their own journey or lack there of. They see you succeeding and can not handle it so they'll make off handed comments about it. I'm not saying cut people out of your life but explain to them that while you may value your friendship that you are doing this to make yourself healthier.

Keep up the great work girl. Soon they'll be asking you to help them get started on their own journey.
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    No matter what you do, people will always have an opinion. The beauty is that you don't have to give it any notice at all, if you don't want to. Or, you can address it head-on and put them in their place; it depends on your relationship with them and what you're comfortable with.

I've had people tell me I don't have to lose weight because I"m small - it's true, I have a smallish frame, though I'm tall. This means that the "extra" weight I'm carrying doesn't show that much. Great, except that doesn't mean that I'm fit, or in the best of shape, or addressing my health issues. I don't argue with people (I can't be bothered to deal with the nonsense) but simply say things like, "Thanks - I'm taking a holistic approach to my wellness, and it's really working out in a lot of ways."

Some people want you to stay out of shape so that they don't feel guilty about their own body/health issues. Other people want you to stay out of shape so that THEY can be the "skinny friend." Others still will try to tell you that you're still not good enough (and they're wrong, so don't listen to them)....it'll make your head spin. Listen to your inner voice, and don't worry about the rest.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Eh, most of the time it's probably because they feel guilty for not going if you are and are wondering if they should be putting more time in too.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    u are awesome ! u do you!! i had to drop lots of so called "friends" when I began my transformation!
    Kristian Rocco NYC
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    my boyfriend sometimes unintentionally discourages/frustrates me. Like the other day, I told him i was going to the gym 4 nights instead of 3 this week. He sighed dramatically and got all moody. It made me so annoyed. All I could think was "Is it really that big of a deal? Will you not survive the extra hour to an hour and a half without me?!" Sorry I dont want to be a fat disgusting whale when I'm 45 like my mother.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I'm completely oblivious when people make comments about my exercise habits that could be construed negatively. I love working out, so of course I go to the gym, hike, bike, dance, and climb. It has nothing to do with being, or feeling, superior to anyone else. My friends get to decide what is best for them, and I support them in those choices. Of course, they're always welcome to come and work out with me.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Chalene Johnson has said before "If your friends won't workout with you then it's time to get new friends." The point being is to surround yourself with like minded people.

I like to surround myself with interesting people, and exercise is only one of my interests. My friends are welcome to work out, or not, with me, or without me. It's none of my business, and the last thing that I want them to do is to feel badly about making their own choices. We have many other things to do together, like art, photography, enjoying books, dance, playing dress up for parties and events, talking, just hanging out.

Friends are more than props for my priorities in life.