Follow me in my journey of being a Raw Vegan!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    @mindelicious - thanks for the clarification on things. very interesting to know that some people live that kind of lifestyle. i definitely couldn't hack it. i love my raw veggies but i also enjoy cooking with them, and i feel healthy. but i guess that is the beauty of this world- we can all be different and have our own unique things that make us completely different than the person next door. BTW, i wish I had a banana & mango tree in my yard! How fun!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification.
    So the meat aspect takes on more of a 'cruelty free' vibe. I get that.
    But what about free range animals? Free range and fed chemically free organic foods?
    Is it still (for you, at least) about not killing an animal? The meatless part, anyhow.
  • SherahLovesHealth
    SherahLovesHealth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi ghanie, I get alot of calories so much more than when I was eating meat/fish. I would average around 1700-1800 calories when I was eating fish now I eat around 2000-2980 and I know you may thing OMG you are going to get fat lol but I have lost weight since switching to being raw. I also workout crazy so I have to eat more in order to meet the protein, carbs and fats requirement. I am still at the point of tweeking how much I eat but those calories come from nothing but fruits ,veggies, sprouts beans etc. As far as the questions about why vegan. I did not switch to raw veganism due to animal crulty, which would be a great reason to switch but when I was eating meat it was only beef, lamb and fish. I did not eat pork, chicken, turkey or any shellfish and I never have since I have been on this earth. I cut out beef because it was making me so lethargic and sick. There were times I would eat beef and want to throw it back up. So I cut beef out and only ate fish. But then I started get tired of eating fish and fish reheated tastes much different from fish eaten fresh out of the oven. So I decided to cut out all animal products which really isnt hard because I barely ate meat. And to be honest it is so much easyiernot having to cook my foods! Also, I have done alot of research on how raw foods helping the body function much better and heal. Check out video blogs on Youtube. Just type in raw vegan and lots of vlogs will come up. I had never heard of raw veganism until I watched some of those videos. I also told myself I could not do it but here I am lol. I feel so much better! The detox does suck but eating all the fruits I love beats that hands down!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I read about it when I was learning how to grow sprouts so the concept isn't new to me. I went vegan for a short while for religious reasons (kosher for passover). But it's interesting to read about how you're pulling it off.

What do you put in your green smoothies?
  • sailady
    sailady Posts: 26
    Options
    my favourite green smoothie is banana, mango, coconut water with some spirulina which is a 'superfood' that makes it green, but you can add celery, lettuce, spinach. Anything green!

A great smoothie is celery, cucumber and coconut meat and water for during training. I take that on bike rides and it is really hydrating.

Check out the liferegenerator on youtube who has a massive set of videos that gives loads of info on raw veganism with loads of smoothie and juice recipes.
    He is very inspirational!
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    :flowerforyou: That's awesome! I'm definitely following you, girl!
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    But what about free range animals? Free range and fed chemically free organic foods?
    Is it still (for you, at least) about not killing an animal? The meatless part, anyhow.

Its not just about the cruelty free thing. We are not meat eaters.
    Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05zhL1YUd8Q - very easy to understand & to the point. We are the only animal that has changed the type of food we eat - voluntarily. Our bodies have not choosen this and fight every step but we don't listen. So many people are lactose intolerant because we all are!! However some bodies have just given up dealing with it and now they are labeled lactose intolerant. We are the only animal that drinks milk into adulthood and drinks other animals milk.

Meat takes 4 hours sometimes to digest - it makes us tired! How can we be limber, energetic, and healing our bodies when we take 4 hours to digest junk? If we eat meat at 3 meals a day we are digesting for 12 hours - and that's just to get it out of the stomach!!!!!!!!! When will we work on cleaning our organs & blood, when will we strengthen our immune system? When will we get a chance to destroy bad bacteria and get rid of cancerous cells....i guess we won't thats why we spend billions of dollars in disease research yet more and more people are dying from this stuff. We need to think of prevention and cutting out meat is the first step in fighting terminal diseases, saving the environment, and a happier population in general.

OH and at first I stopped eating meat because of the health benefits - not the ethical reasons - I felt much better!! More energy & not sick as much. I actually cured a couple of health problems that I was told I would have to take medications for the rest of my life. I currently take no meds & have never felt better. I don't get headaches or the flu or any of that crap. After a couple months I learned all the horrible things they do to animals & then I learned all the scientific stuff behind how our bodies really work. If you would like to learn a bit more check this out: http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/science.html Just scroll down a little & every question regarding health & nutrition is there.
  • SherahLovesHealth
    Options
    @ Ghanie, I also observe passover so I am wondering what I will do when it comes around next year because you lamb is part of the feast during that time. It usually depends on what I have at my house, when it comes to a green smoothie. This morning I put 1 mango, cantaloupe, blackberries, 1 banana, 4TBS of hemp protein powder, water and a handful of Kale. It really taste delicious and it smells so fresh. Especially if the fruit is really ripe.

@ Alleghany thanks!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Just jumping in to see what do u think would make a better smoothie/juice...using coconut milk or almond milk
    I've been doing a juice/clean fast for the past few days.....have been using berries, apples, mangoes, spinach, celery etc
    Not as bad as I thought..LOL

Kim
  • SherahLovesHealth
    Options
    Just jumping in to see what do u think would make a better smoothie/juice...using coconut milk or almond milk
    I've been doing a juice/clean fast for the past few days.....have been using berries, apples, mangoes, spinach, celery etc
    Not as bad as I thought..LOL

Kim

Hi Kimber507 I have not tried Coconut milk in a smoothie yet but I have tried Plain Almond milk and I really like the taste. Almond milk is very smooth and it helps bring the sweetness out in the fruit. If you try coconut milk, let me know how it taste please.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    @ Ghanie, I also observe passover so I am wondering what I will do when it comes around next year because you lamb is part of the feast during that time.

I didn't go vegan during the seder, just the time around it as it was an easy way to make sure I was following all the kosher laws since vegan is the highest form of kosher.

I must say, I never had lamb during a seder before. I'd be more concerned about the matzot as there is so much tradition that revolves around it and eating it.
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I was inspired by the original post and challenged myself to eat more raw food! I love it, and I feel amazing! This has made me interested in the vegan aspect too. I am just curious about how you get your protein??? I drink a soy protein shake for breakfast and eat a lot of beans, but I guess you can't eat beans without boiling them???

Also regarding the question about raw nuts. You can buy them in the produce section of any groccery store, even Walmart. They are about $4-$5 a pound, which last for 2 weeks, and is also cheaper than the roasted, salted canned variety. And they taste AMAZING!!! Makes me wonder why the roast and salt them in the first place.
  • sailady
    sailady Posts: 26
    Options
    sprout lentils, chickpeas, mung beans, adzuki beans instead of cooking them if you want protein although you do get it through leafy greens - it is the amino acids rather than protein that your body needs and this is found in plenty in veg.

Raw houmous is amazing! once you try you'll (probably) never go back!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

Its not just about the cruelty free thing. We are not meat eaters.
    Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05zhL1YUd8Q - very easy to understand & to the point. We are the only animal that has changed the type of food we eat - voluntarily. Our bodies have not choosen this and fight every step but we don't listen. So many people are lactose intolerant because we all are!! However some bodies have just given up dealing with it and now they are labeled lactose intolerant. We are the only animal that drinks milk into adulthood and drinks other animals milk.

Meat takes 4 hours sometimes to digest - it makes us tired! How can we be limber, energetic, and healing our bodies when we take 4 hours to digest junk? If we eat meat at 3 meals a day we are digesting for 12 hours - and that's just to get it out of the stomach!!!!!!!!! When will we work on cleaning our organs & blood, when will we strengthen our immune system? When will we get a chance to destroy bad bacteria and get rid of cancerous cells....i guess we won't thats why we spend billions of dollars in disease research yet more and more people are dying from this stuff. We need to think of prevention and cutting out meat is the first step in fighting terminal diseases, saving the environment, and a happier population in general.

OH and at first I stopped eating meat because of the health benefits - not the ethical reasons - I felt much better!! More energy & not sick as much. I actually cured a couple of health problems that I was told I would have to take medications for the rest of my life. I currently take no meds & have never felt better. I don't get headaches or the flu or any of that crap. After a couple months I learned all the horrible things they do to animals & then I learned all the scientific stuff behind how our bodies really work. If you would like to learn a bit more check this out: http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/science.html Just scroll down a little & every question regarding health & nutrition is there.

Looking at the video tonight.... can't see it from work. Thanks for the response!