Why can't I run?

Options
I am six weeks in with my new lifestyle changes. I am eating better and trying to exercise more. As part of my journey, i want to run a 5k by year's end (just once so I can say I did it) but I can't run. At the gym I typically do 25 minutes on the elliptical at a 12 resistance and at about a 7 1/2 to 8 minute mile. I then do some strength training and end with about 15 to 20 minutes on the treadmill at a 4.0 incline and moderate speed. In the past I attempted to do more time on the treadmill even trying to jog in intervals but I developed both heal spurs (I have flat feet) and shin splints. That was in new and old sneakers, didn't seem to matter. The doctor gave me gel inserts and my heal spurs now went away. I even tried to jog outside recently and it felt like my shins were going to fracture into a million pieces. I know I am a big girl (a little over 200 lbs.) but I see people much larger than me that run and jog and certainly there is more of a strain on their legs and feet. Will this ever work for me? Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    probably a combination of improper technique and improper footwear .

i'm also a big girl over 200 pounds. i'm able to run and even sprint at 8 mph and over without any pain.

you should go to a running store where they can perform a gait analysis and recommend best shoes. having tight calves is also a factor in shin pain.

as far as form/technique goes, make sure you are landing on your midfoot and not on the heel
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    you should go to a running store where they can perform a gait analysis and recommend best shoes. having tight calves is also a factor in shin pain.

This. Also, make sure you are warming up properly and for an adequate amount of time before you run, and stretch when you finish. And if you need to work uo to it by walking faster first rather than running, start there.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am not a big girl. But I do have very flat feet. They are so flat that I walk on my toes. Regular running shoes just don't provide enough support. So I bought the best I could afford and put an extra insole in them to make the arch super high.

I am now able to run, where as before the pain in my legs always stopped me before I even could get my second minute in.

Definitely try a running store, explain your problems and then work at it slowly. I started one minute jog and one minute walk and have already made it to 6 minutes of running in a few weeks.

Also, make sure your gait is right. Land on the middle of your foot. That is where having extra arch support will help to facilitate proper form. I was landing on my toes and getting horrible pain.
  • trin8ty75
    trin8ty75 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Tips that helped me

1. Try the C25K program
    2. Check out youtube videos on proper form when running
    3. Get fitted for proper shoes (I haven't done this yet)
    4. Slow your pace. If you can run slower then you're going too fast
    5. Stretch properly before and after
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I was the exact same way. Know what changed for me? Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I swear I'm not paid to advertise for her, but I'm fairly certain that workout program is solely responsible for my ability to run. I couldn't even run a 1/4 mile before, and after I finished it, I was suddenly able to knock out a mile and a half without wanting to die. I trained for about three weeks after that and completed my first 5k (no stopping) about a month ago. :)

I'm not guaranteeing it'll work the same way for you too, but what do you have to lose? It's free on Youtube, and if you still can't run afterwards, well, you still will have completed a pretty tough workout, which gives results in and of itself.

Good luck!