First day is a learning experience I guess

Options
Ok...haven't even ate dinner and went over mainly on my calories :( need my portion sizes smaller I know I just feel so hungry...Mabye I need to drink more water because by the time I'm done for the day I'm gonna be way over on calories but I am eating better...note to self don't eat 2 half pound burgers even without bread! This made me go over on my daily intake so what to due? It's 7:30 and I have all night at work...and I'm already over? What to so any suggestions

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Eat as healthy and low calorie as possible for the rest of the night without starving yourself. Do better tomorrow.

It is definitely a learning experience. It may take you a few weeks to dial in the foods that are satisfying and meet your goals. Once you get going, it will get easier. Just log everything you eat -- you will definitely be shocked and unpleasantly surprised at the calories in some things you eat on a regular basis. You will make better choices when you have more knowledge.
  • Grinb
    Grinb Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Just eat a healthy dinner and learn from experiences, my first day I had half a frozen pizza for dinner....after that I learned to pre log or at least figure out the cals lol
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    For starters, take a deep breath! It's going to be ok!

I think it's best if you just eat like you always have and track it for 4 to 6 weeks... You can't make changes until you know where those changes need to be made. So eat as you always have, track it and in a few weeks look back over it and THEN start making your changes. Once you get a feel for what you need to change, make those changes slowly, one or two at a time. Your goal should be life long changes to live healthy.... NOT a quick fix diet to lose weight.

You're going to do just fine!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mel. It's going to take a couple weeks to get the hang of it, it's so eye opening just to see how much you ARE eating and then find out what you can remove and make substitutes for.

You'll want to try to eat more protein and fiberous foods, they tend to be more filling and keep you full longer.

Also switching out red meats for chicken..things like that. You'll get the hang of it!!
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Dude, the first YEAR was a learning experience for me, it takes awhile to overcome a lifetime of bad habits. Don't beat yourself up over it, when I first started logging I didn't even have a calorie target. I did it to see what I was consuming on a daily basis, it's a real eye opener. I then cut slowly from there until I was able to eat a "normal" amount without starving.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    What is your daily calorie goal?

What are you eating? Your diary is not set to public so I can't check.
  • GrendlStig
    GrendlStig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    HIgh volume, low calories! That means veggies and lots of them. Don't be so hard on yourself. If we all knew how to eat right we wouldn't be here! Tomorrow is another day... This takes planning though. YOu have to have the right things to eat in your pantry and fridge. There are message board strings on "grocery lists" where people have posted their lists for the week. You might get some good ideas there. Also, look at the message boards for "success stories" and glance at those folks food diaries if they are public. That is also helpful if you just don't know where to begin.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Wanted to add that you need to measure and weigh every thing!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    It is definately a learning experience.... over time you will learn foods that are filling for you, and generally how much you can eat at each meal/snack and go from there.

Water is key too! Drink alot of it. Especially in these early days to help you feel 'full'

I am not one to stay starve thru the hunger, so eat if you need too but be sensible. Remember though in the first few days or so your body/stomach is adjusting and it's mad at you.. but in the long run it will be happy with you.

And at the end of the day, everyday is a new one.. so don't get down on yourself. I bet the calories you ate today, even if you went over, is way less than you may have ate before. The thought of what I used to eat makes me ill!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Wanted to add that you need to measure and weigh every thing!

Agree 100%, I even measure my hot chocolate mix, ketchup, etc. Everything gets measured...
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Dude its ok, it is one day. 1st suggestion is stop buying 73% ground beef. for for the leaner stuff, you can have more of it. Laura's lean is your friend. Start fresh tomorrow. like others have said weight and measure everything. Knowledge is half the battle and now you know what you are eatting and you can and will change it. Best of luck.
  • Wizard87
    Wizard87 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In the big scheme of things, one day is nothing. I have only been doing this site for about a month and I have had days I slipped. It just seems more important to you because it's day 1.
    If you stick with it, I think it's safe to say that in 30 days you will weigh the same as if you had a "good" day today or tomorrow, or even the next day.
    Bottom line, do the best you can with the rest of the day, and resolve to do better tomorrow. Just don't let a "bad" day become an excuse to have another bad day, then another.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Practice and patience are the key.

You will go over from time to time but you will also make adjustments along the way.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    veggies, brown rice, and lots of spices.
  • RockandRoseRebel
    RockandRoseRebel Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It helps to remember it won't kill you to be hungry every now and then. I'm not endorsing being hungry all the time, but remembering that being a little bit hungry for an hour or two every now and then isn't that bad helps me to only eat what I need to keep me going.

What I mean is, if I think that something horrible is going to happen if I'm hungry, then I'm likely to eat most of my calories for breakfast and then keep piling on the calories throughout the day until I go to bed unpleasantly stuffed because I'm terrified I'm going to get hungry. When I stop and realize that it's okay to be hungry for a few hours, I don't feel the need to eat all my calories at once and I stick pretty close to my calorie goal.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    It helps to remember it won't kill you to be hungry every now and then. I'm not endorsing being hungry all the time, but remembering that being a little bit hungry for an hour or two every now and then isn't that bad helps me to only eat what I need to keep me going.

What I mean is, if I think that something horrible is going to happen if I'm hungry, then I'm likely to eat most of my calories for breakfast and then keep piling on the calories throughout the day until I go to bed unpleasantly stuffed because I'm terrified I'm going to get hungry. When I stop and realize that it's okay to be hungry for a few hours, I don't feel the need to eat all my calories at once and I stick pretty close to my calorie goal.
    I am super impressed you can go hungry for 1-2 hours. If I don't eat within 10-15 mins of hunger pain I am an uber witch. My coworkers used to be able to tell it was my lunch time based on how I responded to them lol. After an hour or two I'd probably eat everything in the fridge!
  • Ill_Miss_My_Boobs
    Options
    Absolutely drink more water. In fact, it is suggested that you drink a large glass of water BEFORE everymeal to help fill you up and make you eat less. I have also heard that if you eat a handful of almonds for a snac k or before your meal, it fills you up more and KEEPS you full. Just a few tricks to try.

I saw someone else on here suggested pre-logging your daily menu and figuring out the cals ahead of time... thats what I do and it helps a lot.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posts but I think your protein goal is low. I eat 1600 daily and my protein goal is 126 g. Protein helps keep you satisfied.
  • WeightHacker
    WeightHacker Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    you need to drink more water.

if not drink water with lemon that helps or drink tea but try to avoid putting a lot of sugar if you do.

another thing helps is to pre-log the food you are about to eat or look online if you are going to go out to eat. to know how many calories are in certain food so you know what to order and not go over in calories. usually i like to order something only eating half of it. and save the rest for the next day.

its helps to have nuts too (sometimes it helps) <3 but also good source in protein.

better wishes for you next time.
  • caseyg9888
    caseyg9888 Posts: 36
    Options
    Looks like he already gave up!