Fitbit Flex and overestimating calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• bostonbabies15
    bostonbabies15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had my Fitbit Flex for 2 week now, kinda confused by it? Why does it log calories burned even when I'm not wearing it? Forgot to put it back on last night after I showered and already this morning it says I burned 352 kcals? Maybe I need to resync it?
  • GeeGirl82
    GeeGirl82 Posts: 32
    Options
    I just bought the new fitbit flex that was released this month. There are no directions for use so I am struggling to figure it out. I am reading in this thread that there is a way to connect MFP with my fitbit? How do I do that?
  • yarnscape
    yarnscape Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So... this 'personalized' setting. I am having difficulty understanding why anyone would want to take a tool that logs your exercise and tells you what you've earned - and override it.

It could be me. I have my fitbit synced with MFP, and I usually pre-log my food plan for the day. I'm set on sedentary on MFP, so I log weights, yoga etc on MFP, but I want the Fitbit to tell me what I've earned from walking the dogs, walking or running errands at lunchtime, and generally not being on the sofa.

Based on this model, I would *never* expect my fitbit adjustment to *drop* during the day. But that's exactly what can happen. Say I decide, based on remaining calories, to partake of a colleagues' birthday cakes for elevenses. Then I get pulled into an emergency meeting and have to miss my lunchtime walk. All of a sudden, I'm not fulfilling the fitbit's prediction. The estimate drops - and I've overeaten.

As I say, it may just be down to my own habits. But I'm really having difficulty understanding how a prediction could ever be more useful than an actual measurement. Which is, after all, what Fitbit is designed to do...
  • yarnscape
    yarnscape Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can't remember exactly how I set it up, but I can see the mapping from my Fitbit account settings on the website. The tab you want is 'applications'.

The only option currently available to me is to revoke access from MFP to Fitbit, but I'd hope/assume something more helpful is available to you!
  • pmakretsew
    pmakretsew Posts: 12
    Options
    @yarnscape: You should enter your exercise into fitbit and log your food on MFP for it to work better together. Fitbit overrides the MFP data because MFP is an estimate and Fitbit is giving it REAL information of what you've been doing with your day. The prediction gives you something to plan your day on and as you progress you adjust... that's what it should do with the data it's getting from the little gadget on you. ;) Unless I'm misunderstanding what your problem is?
  • pmakretsew
    Options
    I've had my Fitbit Flex for 2 week now, kinda confused by it? Why does it log calories burned even when I'm not wearing it? Forgot to put it back on last night after I showered and already this morning it says I burned 352 kcals? Maybe I need to resync it?

It logs calories burned even when you are not wearing it because it's likely assuming you're sitting still, just as when you are sleeping and your body is ALWAYS burning calories because it needs energy to think, to breathe, to function. So, while it can track motion, it can't track that you forgot to put it on and is just assuming that you're motionless... but still alive. Hence, the calories burned.

You can input the time you slept manually on your fitbit website.
  • pmakretsew
    Options
    I just bought the new fitbit flex that was released this month. There are no directions for use so I am struggling to figure it out. I am reading in this thread that there is a way to connect MFP with my fitbit? How do I do that?

Instructions can be found here: http://www.fitbit.com/start. To connect fitbit & mfp you should have created an account at fitbit.com. Now look up, click on APPS in the tabs right here on this page, scroll down and click on 'read more' under the Fitbit Tracker badge. It'll run you through it. Super simple! :)
  • DarkGirl102775
    DarkGirl102775 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem and found this thread while searching for an answer. On the fitbit website, under settings, you can turn off "calorie estimation." This might help.
  • jreckart2003
    Options
    saving this for later - may get the Flex.
  • xynyth
    xynyth Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For anyone interested: I turned off the calorie estimation and that has solved all my problems. I LOVE this little device now. No more frustrating fluctuations.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Fitbit users group - https://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

Lots of helpful people there. Watch for replies by Kimseid and ScrapJen. I don't know how long they have been using Fitbit, but they can probably answer any of your questions! I have gotten lots of answers just by reading the posts and their replies:smile: