Do you have to workout EVERYDAY?

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I do it every day but half of my workouts are just brisk walks, so it's not really the same. I don't do strength training more than 3 times a week.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Not everyday. I build in rest days. Mentally it is hard to stay away from the gym.
  • MrsQadir
    MrsQadir Posts: 3
    Options
    No, you don't have to work out everyday. It's a choice, always remember this fact. On the days you don't work out, you just have to limit your caloric intake. You're allowed to eat more on the days that you decide to work out. I guess this is why I use to view going to the gym or simply walking for up to 2 hours as an incentive, my getting to eat more than I normally would. Fortunately, I've grown accustomed to eating under 1200 calories. Make no mistake about it, I do have my off days when I go over 1200 calories but I usually just shrug it off because it doesn't go over by much. I try to eat foods that are delicious and healthy all in one. Most healthy foods taste disgusting to me. Some of my fave snacks/ foods are Dannon's Light & Fit yogurt which only has 80 calories per serving. Recently, I began buying the 8 or 12 pack which contains only 50 calories per serving. I absolutely love bananas so much that my middle name should be monkey. My weaknesses are Oreos and Kit Kats or anything chocolate, who am I kidding. Smh and Lol. If you would've told me I would ever be eating just those two additions alone, I would've snickered and walked away while believing you're just insane or escaped from an asylum just the same. I have even started eating store brand pre-packaged salads. I don't eat them often because I can't eat them without dressing and the dressing is really fattening. Dude, it's like over 100 calories for every 2 tablespoons! Anyhow, I hope this was a big help to you.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    I take a day off every week. If i didn't have a day off, I'd go nuts. I work out 6 days a week, alternating lifting and running (I'm training for a 10 mile race at the end of August and am considering a half-marathon in October). Without that day off, my muscles would be in pain constantly.
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    if you kick your *kitten* every workout then no
    this

This!

If you're working out hard then your body needs a break or it WILL punish you for it. If you go for a bit of light work in between or some kind of gentle stretching, then do what you want.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Be active everyday is not the same as working out everyday. Get out walk around as often as you can but strength and cardio can and usually should be every other day. There are plenty of work out plans out there and most schedule in a pattern. Example Mondays -moderate effort. Tuesday rest but don't be a couch potato Wednesday- hard work out Thursday rest but move around. Friday - easy work out. Saturday- rest and repeat the pattern

i agree being active and workingout is not the same. you can be active everyday but workingout as in strength training and cardio shouldnt be done everyday
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    That said, just because it's working for you now does not mean that it is a good idea overall for health. I suspect you're young, and by all means, enjoy it if it's what you like to do...but I will still argue that this level of activity is not necessarily "healthy", and will likely lead to "overtraining" problems for you down the road. Keep an eye on it, and if you start seeing warning signs, know that cutting back is the obvious first step.

Nah, I am 35. I have been doing high intensity workouts all of my life as a national level competitive swimmer. Since I quit (theoretically, though I still swim Masters), I have never once been told by a trainer, coach, or physician that what I am doing is unhealthy or impossible to maintain. When I trained hard, I was often in the water 4-6 hours a day + dry land training on top of that. This was encouraged. My trainer now has absolutely no problem with the levels at which I workout. Nor does my physician.

I am definitely not saying it's healthy for everyone, but I think after being in my body for 35 years, and training hard for a good 25 years of it, I am a-okay. Thank you for you concern, though. :)