Too much sugar?

Options
I've noticed when I've been tracking my food that most days I go over my pinpointed 'intake' for the day.
I barely ever eat refined sugars (the only time would really be if I ate a couple of pieces of milk Chocolate), and the only way I'm getting sugar is through Fruits, Honey and some Breads.
The intake that I'm meant to have is 30 without exercise, but up to 40 with. On a normal day, I can do over by up to 12, which is heaps.
Is this bad, and is just as hard to burn off as normal sugars?

Replies

• jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I don't track my sugar, especially not the sugar from fruit. A banana would put me over most days. Unless you have a medical reason I wouldn't worry about natural sugars (fruit and maybe honey).
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I track my sugar mostly for knowledge. I, too, go over on most days, but don't count it as a bad thing when the foods I eat with the most sugar are fruits. What I did find, though, was that my preflavored yogurts had a lot of sugar, so I'm switching to plain yogurt that I flavor with liquid Stevia. So, I wouldn't worry about it if you're going over due to natural sugars, but use it as a tool to see if/what you're eating that you could change/cut.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic, prediabetic, or hypoglycemic? If not, sugar is just another carbohydrate. There's no need to stress yourself out by tracking it separately unless you have a medical reason unrelated to your weightloss goal (or are on some spiffy new "all pastries and ice cream" diet) to limit sugar.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give it a second thought if you know it's coming mostly from fruit. Basically any sugar in my diet comes from fruit, and according to myfitnesspal even 2 pieces a day can put my sugar intake over which is BS in my opinion so I just ignore it. As long as it's from fruit and not candy or other processed foods you're fine.
  • Joellen457
    Joellen457 Posts: 5
    Options
    Sugar is an addictive stimulant drug . It should be avoided. Use sugar substitutes in moderation. Honey, cinnamon,and fruits are much healthier sweet choices.
  • RacquelLuntz
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I was freaking out about it, but that gives me so much relief :) Much appreciated!
  • DoubleDownForLess
    Options
    I wouldn't give it a second thought if you know it's coming mostly from fruit. Basically any sugar in my diet comes from fruit, and according to myfitnesspal even 2 pieces a day can put my sugar intake over which is BS in my opinion so I just ignore it. As long as it's from fruit and not candy or other processed foods you're fine.

You're correct. Sugar from fruit is very different than regular white sugar, it breaks up in the body much slower, unlike white processed sugar that goes to the bloodstream right away.
    I have T2 diabetes and I'm allowed (although not unlimited) to eat fruit in nice size
    servings.
    I should mention that some fruit are higher in sugar and the serving sizes recommended is a bit smaller, like
    Dates, grapes etc..
    Btw, not many realize that even fruit/veg that are NOT sweet, contain sugar. For example, there's the same amount of sugar in one lemon as there is in one strawberry.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Sugar is an addictive stimulant drug . It should be avoided. Use sugar substitutes in moderation. Honey, cinnamon,and fruits are much healthier sweet choices.
    Citation needed.
  • kaylabrose
    kaylabrose Posts: 71
    Options
    I was over by 118g today from fruits. I don't care.
  • Joellen457
    Joellen457 Posts: 5
    Options
    It's really important to care about your sugar intake. Otherwise you're playing with your blood sugar levels which can lead to diabetes or worse. Pretty dangerous!!!
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    sugar is amazing for you!! it burns fat and builds muscle! Just dont eat total crap:)
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have to track my sugar due to PCOS and since I have tracked and reduced my sugar intake it has only helped :) Goodl uck doll1
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I track my sugar mostly for knowledge. I, too, go over on most days, but don't count it as a bad thing when the foods I eat with the most sugar are fruits. What I did find, though, was that my preflavored yogurts had a lot of sugar, so I'm switching to plain yogurt that I flavor with liquid Stevia. So, I wouldn't worry about it if you're going over due to natural sugars, but use it as a tool to see if/what you're eating that you could change/cut.

try the dannon light n fit greek the highest one in sugar i believe is the cherry and it only has like 9 sugars it is delicious....