anyone familiar with or take sentraline(zoloft)?

Options
2»

Replies

• suzcain
    suzcain Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I took Zoloft for a number of years. I gained 40 lbs the first year and by the time I stopped taking it after 13 years on it, I had doubled my weight exactly - from 92 lbs to 184 lbs (I'm 5' tall). Even when I had a personal trainer and watched what I ate, I couldn't lose weight - only control not gaining more. Once I stopped taking it a couple years ago, I lost 30 lbs in the first month, and then had to work at it for about a year to lose another 40. It doesn't happen to everyone who goes on it, but increased appetite and lowered metabolism rates are common enough that my sister, who is a psychologist, calls it "Zaftig" and avoids having her patients take it if at all possible. You may want to ask your doc what other options are available.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I lost a ton of weight on Zoloft. I left it all in the toilet!!

I can't take that stuff. They gave it to me for post-pardum depression while I was recovering from a C-section. It nearly killed me! I was running to the bathroom every 10 to 15 minutes.

I know this isn't helpful whatsoever... just wanted share... I'm a giver like that. :flowerforyou:
  • flanary888
    flanary888 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When do you take it? I was on 50mg and didn't really notice any weight gain. I recently came off of it and no real change..... except that my anxiety is back! So I actually made an apt. today to go get back on it. I always took mine at night though, so I don't know if that made a difference with me or not.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    My daughter (13 years old) was taking 100mg and gained about 15 pounds. Luckily, she's very active in soccer, so it just helped her "booty bump" people away from the ball :)

Anyway, I take Lexapro and only gained 5 pounds on it. I had such a great reaction to it, that I had my daughter switched. She's been taking it for a few months now and hasn't gained any additional weight and I can see a much better, less anxious girl :)
  • jkdk1117
    jkdk1117 Posts: 1
    Options
    Thank you for your post. There are people who think that meds can not affect weight. That it is simply calories in calories out. I too, gained a crazy amount of weight despite training for marathons, working with a personal trainer and weighing and logging my food. Not being able to lose the pounds has been hard to deal with. It is a relief to know I'm not alone. I have just started weaning off Zoloft. The next step is being patient for my body to readjust.
  • Beth0810
    Options
    Stomach problems are completely normal when beginning any ssri like zoloft. This side effect, while annoying, goes away within a couple of weeks. The reason it happens is that most of the serotonin in your body is actually in your stomach.
  • dangdangBB
    dangdangBB Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A year back or so I was on it for 8 months. I can't say I noticed any significant weight gain but I had to quit it when it made me horribly moody.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor and I don't take meds, but I have friends and family members who do. The only med that I know of that doesn't have a side effect of gaining weight and can actually help you lose it is Wellbutrin. It can also help with quitting smoking and I know someone who reported that they did not feel like drinking alcohol either, but this person had to stop it because of a couple side effects. Most antidepressants can make you gain weight, but I think if you are aware of it, you can counteract it. If it is working for you and you are willing to track your food and up your exercise, I say stay with it!