Can you help a girl out?

Options
Can y'all let me know what kind of exercises I can do to get rid of my arm fat? All I have are 5 and 10 lb weights. I'll post a picture if there's a specific exercise to fix it

Replies

• sky3z
    sky3z Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce sweetie!
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce sweetie!

Agreed.
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    They will look better and better as you reduce overall fat. Tone up the arms with exercises for biceps, triceps and shoulders and upper back. They will come along. For me triceps and upper back fa are the hard ones. Keep us posted you can do it!
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Ok maybe I should have worded that better. How about "tone"?
  • chantelp89
    Options
    Well I guess I'm on my own here
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    people have already answered your question. there is no exercise to really zero in on your underarm and get rid of the arm jigglies (one of the last areas to shrink during weight loss im told :explode: ). it will tone up as you lose overall weight. i do a little rowing and flys with free weights/dumbells though to work on my arms so when i DO get rid of that jiggle there will be a little muscle definition peeking thru.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as 'toning' the muscle....you need to eat at a deficit to lose body fat and LIFT WEIGHTS to maintain your lean body mass aka your existing muscle. When you lose body fat, that's when you will begin to look smaller, including your arms. If you don't exercise, that's when you might start to lose muscle along with body fat which will result in a 'soft' appearance, not the 'toned' look that you and most people are going for. What you are seeing on these people is muscle and the only reason you can see it is because of a lower body fat percentage. Lift heavy, 5lb dumbbells are not enough IMO. Good luck and good day!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Ok maybe I should have worded that better. How about "tone"?
    Same answers apply - lose the overall fat to reveal the muscle underneath. And of course, you can work those muscles with the weights, pushups, and other body weight exercises in the process. Toning is basically losing the fat covering the muscles we have so we can see them. Using the weights is good for us, strengthens the muscle and you you may see a bit more definition, but you won't gain muscle, especially while eating at a deficit.

Got a smart phone? Download the Nike Training Club app - it's free and full of great workouts, some use dumbbells, some body weight or a combo of both. Lots of HIIT training in there too to get your heart rate up. Eat well, keep moving, get good rest, drink water, and have patience. Stick with it, the fat will come off!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.. but what you can do it lift and exercise so when you lose the fat the nice toned muscles are waiting for you.. I can feel my abs under the remaining layer of fat and I can't wait for them to peak though. I also have a little on my triceps, but they are pretty strong and have muscles that i never had before as well.
  • chantelp89
    Options
    Yep. Got it. Thanks
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    When I do cardio (usually 1 hour on treadmill/incline) I use hand weights that are 10 pounds and I move them all around alternating exercise styles and I now have less arm jiggle........ good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a dumbbell, maybe five to eight lbs. with two hands bring it over your head. Then carefully lower it behind your head, between your shoulder blades. Repeat that until you feel fatigue in your arms. Do it twice a day.
  • ixxiesparkle
    Options
    it sort of seems like she just wants some guidance on arm routines maybe?

Youtube has some great ones. Just search for "arm workout" or any of several variations thereof, avoid anything that just looks absurd, and you should be all set.

Or maybe it's 9am and caffeine hasn't happened yet and i'm completely full of it.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    it sort of seems like she just wants some guidance on arm routines maybe?

Youtube has some great ones. Just search for "arm workout" or any of several variations thereof, avoid anything that just looks absurd, and you should be all set.

Or maybe it's 9am and caffeine hasn't happened yet and i'm completely full of it.

Either we're both not sufficiently caffeinated, or you're spot on with the advice! You said everything I was going to.

In addition, Jillian Michaels' workouts are fantastic - they're hard but usually do-able, and they're all over YouTube.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Everyone says you can't spot reduce. I'm no expert, but from personal experience, lifting 5-lb. weights, shoveling manure, hauling and lifting bags of topsoil, and my former underarm jiggle is now firm and jiggles not at all. I didn't lose a whole lot of weight, only 12 lbs. or so, but it shows.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Good grief, people - give the girl a break :)

Tone (add muscle to) your arms by focusing on tricep, bicep, and deltoids - learn about those three muscles and which moves strengthen them and how to stretch them - the internet is full of info on different lifting routines for arms. Personally, I would say aim to up your weights, but you could start with what you have, and then get a heavier pair when those become easier. Building muscle will go a long way in changing the arms, but don't forget to eat right, too - that makes a big difference! Good luck!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that has helped my arms is to do a lifting routine with compound lifts (Starting Strength, Stronglifts, etc) while eating at a small deficit. Do you have access to a gym?
  • chantelp89
    Options
    Haha thanks guys lol I almost deleted this!! Yeah I've been doing the JM workouts and I'm having a hard time with the plank exercises because I can't hold myself up for very long
  • chantelp89
    Options
    Nope no gym. I've got a 30lb toddler though, if that helps : )
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Arm fat is a 90% body fat issue and 10% muscle issue.

If you lift heavy weight, it will add subtle muscle definition under the fat layer.

You can do body resistance and dumbbell exercises for cheap at home.
    Try pull ups, one arm lat row, lying chest fly, military press, bicep curls, push ups, tricep press, and deltoid raises.

If you lift weights, do some kind of cardiovascular activity, and eat at a deficit until your body loses fat % , you will be better off.
    Some of the fat will eventually come off your arms and you will have a leaner overall arm with shape to it. But how long it takes and where the fat comes from is genetic.

But don't worry too much about the jiggly arms.
    I'm a healthy weight and my triceps still wobble when I wave. My whole upper arm looks slightly flabby - until I move it or flex, and then the muscle shows.