What do you do?

Options
As of today's date, I have lost a total of 42 pounds. Yay! My problem is this...

About a month ago, my mom became very sick. She is in ICU and they're still not sure how she's going to do. I am staying positive, but I know it's going to be a long road ahead for my family. Over the last few days, I find myself shoving food in my mouth to deal with all of the emotions. My normal calories per day is about 1600. Today was 2200. Yikes! I do walk pretty much everyday, but I don't have a ton of time. What do you guys do to deal with emotional situations? Just scared and looking for some ideas. Thank you in advance. <3

Replies

• Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    You have accepted you have the problem, so you now have the tools to fix it. The food itself isn't your crutch, your sadness is. Redirect it into something else. In middle school I first noticed I eat when stressed. My older brother had just started getting into trouble nightly for drugs and such so the house was full of yelling. I turned to food at first but had a cruel or helpful friend that would always taunt me with races knowing he would always win. That summer he left for his moms and I started running when I could. If my parents fought I would run. If I was called fat I would run, if I was lonely I would run. When my friend came back at the end of the summer he would try to race me to each other house and he no longer would win. I even joined the track team that year and made A team. I'm not saying you should run, but find something to channel your pain in a way that benefits you instead if hurts you. And than don't forget to reward yourself with junk every once in awhile not because you need it but because you earned it. I am sorry that you have this aura of sadness in your life. I hope you the best.
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you need a friend