Lifting success stories (women over 250 to start)?

Options
Julie_Donahue
Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
I keep hearing that I need to start lifting (and lifting heavy!) but most of the lifting success stories I've found in this thread are women who started out at my goal weight (around 150). Anybody have a success story that started out over 250? I actually started my journey at 306 (I'm down about 40 pounds since January 1st).

Currently I'm doing Zumba 2-3 days a week, running (I completed C25K and I'm repeating it to increase my time---3 days a week). I've done some machine work.

Replies

• cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    man u look awesome...
  • EpicPickle
    EpicPickle Posts: 35
    Options
    Check out this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/824518-fat-girl-dead-lifting

I started lifting when I was about 210 lbs. I'm 5'8".

Being heavier has the advantage of making you fairly strong in many ways just because you're carrying around a lot more weight than someone 70 lbs lighter every day no matter what you do. So you may find that when you do start lifting, you're stronger than you think and may make strength progress faster than you expect also. This was the case for me, and that feeling that I was actually GOOD at something was very empowering and helped keep me motivated to keep going.

Be brave and don't let your weight deter you from learning.

Learning to not be afraid of heavy freeweights was the best thing I did sofar.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't fit into any of this criteria so I can't give you first hand experience, but I can say that what you are doing is working and you should continue doing it. If you want to get stronger lifting can help and lifting weights, not machines, will also help you gain strength in the smaller stabilizing muscles that you can't really train. You probably won't lose as quickly because you're not going to burn as many calories as running or doing Zumba, but you will gain strength and that can help you lose even more over a longer period. I'd say try it if you want, or just keep doing what you're doing and look into it if you start to plateau.

Great job on your losses so far, keep at it!
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I was 246lb (that's pretty close!) and have been lifting throughout my 83lb weight loss (3 times per week) with cardio as well. Goodbye jiggle!! This is the only comparison pic I've done but the after photo was taken almost 7 months ago.
    And I agree... you do look awesome. Well done on your loss so far!

thenandnow-1.jpg
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I didn't start out at that exact number, nor am I anywhere near close to finished, but I have lost all my weight so far through lifting and focusing on my food intake. I do no cardio (as in no treadmill, elliptical, etc), other than activities that are enjoyable or bodyweight exercises that raise my heart rate. I have a before/after in my profile pictures. I <3 lifting. Go for it, it's addictive!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!