Head games?

Options
I saw a post in another forum where a woman resists the treats people bring into work by imagining the food has a hair in it or the preparer didn't wash their hands

I use a "not now" trick: I stopped telling myself "no". Saying "I can't" have dessert feels like deprivation, and turns it into some sort of battle of will-power, which I can't always win. But saying "yes, just not now" makes it seem like no big deal. Can I have a piece of chocolate from the candy bowl at work? YES. Can I have another? "Sure, but not right now.... wait just a little bit". More often than not, by the time "later" rolls around, I've forgotten or the craving has passed. It seems like such a dumb little thing, but it has been hugely helpful to me.)

This just got me thinking about all of the little things people do to help with the choices we're all trying to make. Does anybody else use any interesting tricks to help with their weight loss journey?

Replies

• gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Another one: I saw a woman who used a timer. She'd set a 15 minute timer for house-cleaning or exercise or whatever she didn't feel like doing. She figured "I can do anything for 15 minutes"...and would use it to get herself going. Sometimes she's stop when the timer dinged, other times she'd keep going. But something about having that timer made her "to-do" list manageable.
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i love timers. there's at least 4 of them in my house, 2 of which i own. makes terrible awful dreadful chores seem more trivial.
  • Enic03
    Enic03 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Love these! Since I started really cooking awesome dinners I find it easy to say no to treats when I know I am saving my calories for something filling with more flavor...more bang for your buck kind of deal. I like the 15 minute timer idea as I lack motivation to do my dishes on a regular basis....maybe I should try this :)
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I saw a post in another forum where a woman resists the treats people bring into work by imagining the food has a hair in it or the preparer didn't wash their hands

I use a "not now" trick: I stopped telling myself "no". Saying "I can't" have dessert feels like deprivation, and turns it into some sort of battle of will-power, which I can't always win. But saying "yes, just not now" makes it seem like no big deal. Can I have a piece of chocolate from the candy bowl at work? YES. Can I have another? "Sure, but not right now.... wait just a little bit". More often than not, by the time "later" rolls around, I've forgotten or the craving has passed. It seems like such a dumb little thing, but it has been hugely helpful to me.)

This just got me thinking about all of the little things people do to help with the choices we're all trying to make. Does anybody else use any interesting tricks to help with their weight loss journey?

what a lovely idea really have to try this =)
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    When I'm doing well on eating choices and come across a challenge, I tell myself the blueberry muffin or bacon & blue cheese burger will still be there when I make goal weight. It helps a lot.
  • RockandRoseRebel
    RockandRoseRebel Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For me I don't put any foods off limits. Instead, as long as it fits into my calorie goal and I want it, then I'll have it. When it comes to being tempted to go over my calorie goal, I allow myself to go as much as 100 cal over but no more. If the thing I want is more, I remind myself that I'd rather be skinny and that I can have that thing tomorrow. Then I have a glass of water and find something to do (I overeat out of boredom and depression so if I can stay busy and upbeat, I can stick to any diet).

If I forget and eat more (and it happens, I forget I'm counting calories, someone offers me a slice of pizza and I eat it before I remember) and it takes me over my 100 cal safe zone, I log the extra cals in tomorrow's diary. The next day I've got fewer calories to spend, so I learn to think before I put something in my mouth and that discourages me from doing that again. In order to keep myself from consistently carrying over until there are so many calories I'll never catch up, the carry-over rule only counts if I ate without thinking. If I made a conscious choice to go over my limit, then I just have to live with it, make sure I don't eat anything more and remember I have a clean slate tomorrow.