Is heavy cream a healthy source of fats?

Options

Replies

• ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have a little cream most days. Since upping my fats I've been healhier and have lost more pounds. I was brainwashed by the saturated fat myth/mistake. There are dangerous fats, I believe, but they're not in cream or good meat. Processed foods, now that's a different matter! For a dish which includes cream I would probably have a small portion or as a side. Good luck!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Cream...healthy????seriously?

agreed...IMO milk is not healthy anyways. :laugh: :tongue:

Milk is not cream, though. Cream is just the fat in milk. Animal fats are not unhealthy. OP, I've lost 12 pounds so far using things like heavy cream and butter - in general, a high fat diet. I'm not necessarily recommending you try this approach, but if you need a fat boost, cream is a great source.

sorry ....lol.....anything derived from a cow , unless its meat IMO is not healthy :laugh:
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Milk is not cream, though. Cream is just the fat in milk. Animal fats are not unhealthy. OP, I've lost 12 pounds so far using things like heavy cream and butter - in general, a high fat diet. I'm not necessarily recommending you try this approach, but if you need a fat boost, cream is a great source.

sorry ....lol.....anything derived from a cow , unless its meat IMO is not healthy :laugh:
    your opinion is wrong...
    what is wrong with milk, cream, whey protein, casein, butter, cheese?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Idk about healthy but I don't much care for milk or cream or really anything like that What about nuts? or some avocado I saw that mentioned its yummy :D
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

Prove it
  • jennaworksout
    Options

Prove it

IMO = In my opinion....nothing to prove LMAO...just my opinion!!
  • jennaworksout
    Options

your opinion is wrong...

opinion are opinions....can't be wrong...everyone has their own :happy:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options

your opinion is wrong...

Well, that would mean the previous poster was right....lol.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

This is false, unless you have an allergy or intolerance to bovine milk protein.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Setting aside this fallacious notion of healthy vs unhealthy food, the fact of the matter is if you're trying to lose weight then concentrated energy sources like cream, oil and sugar-based products (such as syrup) may not be a good choice. To be clear, there's nothing wrong with cream and if you enjoy it you should fit it into your diet however if you're like me there are way more enjoyable sources that you already have to limit like cheese, nuts, full-fat icecream, etc which bring a whole lot more fun for the "money"
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I eat fats in limited quantities, but I am of the belief that I'd rather have butter over a chemical compound called margarine. I'd rather have a splash of organic whole cream than some non-dairy substitute concocted in a lab. For me, steering clear of processed foods and sticking with a more 'natural' diet has worked. And it doesn't seem like you need to lose, so I say go for it as long as you are otherwise healthy with decent cholesterol numbers, etc.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

your opinion is wrong...

Well, that would mean the previous poster was right....lol.
    Shhh!! Your logic will scare her away!
  • KSfitgal
    KSfitgal Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    AGREED! Avocados are my most favorite. Check out the American Heart Associations website for good information on healthy fats - so you can protect your heart too.
    avocados are my favorite healthy source of fats. nuts too!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Setting aside this fallacious notion of healthy vs unhealthy food, the fact of the matter is if you're trying to lose weight then concentrated energy sources like cream, oil and sugar-based products (such as syrup) may not be a good choice. To be clear, there's nothing wrong with cream and if you enjoy it you should fit it into your diet however if you're like me there are way more enjoyable sources that you already have to limit like cheese, nuts, full-fat icecream, etc which bring a whole lot more fun for the "money"
    satiety-index.png
    interesting info for what is most filling calorie for calorie.

If you think about how filling each of these foods are. the higher the # the more potential it has for a "dieting" food. Even though kiwi isnt listed on there, it is my signature dieting food. The kiwi still has the skin on when I eat it btw
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    YES
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Animal fats are not unhealthy.

If the cream comes from a grass fed cow and is organic what would make that any more unhealthy than olive oil or peanut butter?

Amen. Local organic grass fed cream = full of win. A little goes a long way.
  • serialweightwatcher
    serialweightwatcher Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you love heavy cream on your berries then enjoy it in moderation. If you're doing so for the sake of needing/wanting to add fat to your diet then you might consider consuming fats from plant based foods: coconuts, olives, nuts and nut butters (make sure they don't have added hydrogenated fats and sugar), avocados, etc.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I drink whole milk every day, and eat cheese often. I believe the saturated fat is necessary and a good source energy. Like most compounds, excess fat is not good. I understand why trans and modified fats are considered unhealthy, but not naturally occurring saturated fat from meat and milk.

^^ this :flowerforyou:
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options

P.S. Low fat and fat free dairy is generally good for you!

I disagree with this. Low fat and fat free are generally full of sugar and/or sodium and/or chemicals to make up for the lack of satiety/taste from removing the fat. I eat a full-fat diet every day and run as far away as I can from low or fat free foods. The government has brainwashed people into believing that fats, including saturated fats are bad and causing heart disease.....I disagree with all of that.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    (chart)
    If you think about how filling each of these foods are. the higher the # the more potential it has for a "dieting" food. Even though kiwi isnt listed on there, it is my signature dieting food. The kiwi still has the skin on when I eat it btw

I think there is merit to this kind of information as a starting point to determine what foods tend to satisfy your hunger the best. At the end of the day it varies because there is an extremely strong psychological component to hunger (obviously).