Marathon Runners (half or full)

Options
I'm wondering if you guys can let me know how your race time was compared to your longest easy run?

Did you come in 10 minutes quicker or 5 minutes, maybe you came in slower due to unforeseen circumstances?

Would love to know what your training was like compared to the race :)

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Do my long runs at 6 minutes per kilometre and my race pace is 5.35. So less than ten minutes for a half marathon. However, my longest training run is 18km (half marathon is 21.2km) and I stop for drinks (3-4 stops at 2-3 minutes each) when training whereas never stop during a race.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I'd run approximately 10 - 20 minutes fasters for my half and around 5 minutes faster for a 5k. I'm yet to do a full... my first shall be the Disney marathon. So, I'm a minute per mile faster in competition. On your training runs, you really don't want to push it like that and that's why they are called training runs :-)
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I tend to have 1 run a week at 'race' pace and a similar distance so I can guess my time in race day. For 10k I was 2 mins faster than planned and half marathon I was bang on. With all the training at easy and race paces you should be able to estimate your time quite easily IMO.
  • bellaconfusa
    Options
    I always seem to run faster on race day. I think it's the adrenaline!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Most of my long runs were at 10:00 to 10:30 per mile. My marathon race pace was 8:06 per mile.

So, my training runs were generally about 2 minutes per mile slower than my race pace.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    my training pace for a marathon never goes below 1 minute slower than race pace. I run a 7:30 marathon pace, and do my long runs at 8:30 at the fastest.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Try the McMillan pace calculator to get an idea of how fast you should be doing your long runs. You put in a recent race time, and it will give you a range of paces for all your different types of training runs, plus give you an idea of what your race times will be.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate