I've lost 19 pounds.. Apparently.

Options
Hey everyone,

So I weighed myself at the gym today, and I weigh 225. I started at 244. So although I am absolutely chuffed with my hard work and effort.. I don't look and feel like I've lost weight.

I've still got huge thighs, and a fat stomach. I have noticed the clothes look slightly better on me, like my jeans look like they fit me better and t shirts feel better.. But when I take them off, I still look and feel fat. Does anyone else feel like this?

Replies

• yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've lost 15lbs (from about 145 to 130) and I feel like I can hardly tell somedays. Nobody has said anything and I think the only place where I've noticeably lost weight from is my face.
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Yes... your brain will eventually catch up and figure out you're smaller looking. Some days I think I look like I never lost my 19 lbs and then other days I think I look good! Dont know why it happens, but take measurements, then you will definitely be able to tell!
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    You need to take pictures, its the only real way to see, our brains trick us
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was a similar starting weight to the OP.. it took losing about 30 pounds before I didn't fit my clothes etc anymore and people started commenting.. the first thing I noticed though was how much better I felt, and how much harder I could go in the gym and on my mountain bike.. which is awesome!! Keep up the good work!!

(Note: My ticker only shows weight lost since joining MFP)
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Nice to know this is normal then :) thanks guys. This hasn't put me off in the slightest, if anything it makes me wanna go harder!
  • beanymac22
    beanymac22 Posts: 47
    Options
    I took pics before and after my first 10 lb loss, Posted a thread somewhere on here. But I couldn't tell a difference.
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am the same. Ive lost 18 pounds (gone from 249 to 231) and I can't tell at all. I think taking pictures and measurements is the best way to get an idea of how you're actually progressing, but I haven't done either, so feeling a little discouraged at the moment!
  • flikster76
    flikster76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    hang in there, you will feel it soon! if your clothes were snug before the loss, u will notice they feel comfy, then loose! it will happen, and its awesome. congrats on the loss! ;-)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I found the same, that the first bit of weight loss didn't seem to make a huge difference. I'm definitely noticing a big difference now (after 50 lb) and people comment on it.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Don't let it worry you, I've had exactly the same, but apparently the visceral fat, ie the unhealthy stuff that surrounds the organs in the abdominal cavity, is the first to go, and that is GOOD. The subcutaneous fat which is what you're seeing is next. I've lost 40 lbs but that is not reflected in my outward size to as much of an extent as I might have expected so photos and measurements don't show much difference. But I feel so much better I am happy with that and accept that I'm much healthier and the rest will go eventually..
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. I think you lose perspective and become even more critical of your body as the weight comes off. Remember... it's a GOOD problem! You are getting healthier by the day and nobody's perfect--- just keep at it and make yours the best body you possibly can over the long haul. Good luck!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    keep going
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I still feel like that and I've lost 31!
  • getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That's funny - I was saying the exact same thing yesterday. I realised I'm exactly 14 kgs (about 31lbs) lighter than I was this time last year - and yet I feel like I don't look any different. I must look different, surely. I have had a few fluctuations within that time (moved countries in September and had a couple months travelling) so it certainly hasn't been a steady loss. Wish I'd started taking progress photos earlier! I'm now just in the healthy weight range and back in the 60's (69.8, but I'll take it for now) for the first time in about 5 years. Maybe it takes a while for the brain to catch up :-) Just wanted to let you know you're not alone!
  • sallievp
    sallievp Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    comparison_zpsb93a0bc0.jpg[/URL]

I am the same! posted this pic to see if anyone can tell a differnece with me!! I know I look a little smaller but I have lost 31 pounds and cannot see it :ohwell:
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If you started at quite a high weight, it's going to take a bit longer for you to notice a big difference. I started 236 and like you I have days where I just think 'How is it possible I've lost this much and I'm still this fat?'

I think on days like this it's really important to acknowledge how much progress you've made beyond the scale because when you think about everything you've achieved you will realize you've done SO MUCH and if you just keep going you will eventually get there
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I've lost 22lbs and am nearly at goal weight (only 6 to go) and there are some days when I don't really feel or see it.
    The brain has a way of tricking us. It also depends on how much you have to lose. If you need to lose like 100lbs then 20lbs is only the first part of that, but if you need to lose 30lbs then you'll notice it more because its a higher percentage of what you need to lose.
    But definitely taking photos and measurements is the way to go! That's concrete proof!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I feel the same as you. I've lost 69lbs & took some more photos yesterday. I was really disappointed with them & deleted most - I STILL have that big fat stomach (though I can see the double chins have got fewer and I know I've lost 10 inches from my waist). Another 40 or so pounds to go!
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    comparison_zpsb93a0bc0.jpg[/URL]

I am the same! posted this pic to see if anyone can tell a differnece with me!! I know I look a little smaller but I have lost 31 pounds and cannot see it :ohwell:

There is certainly a difference visible here.. well done!!
  • Kamatayan
    Kamatayan Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    32 pounds down here, and some days I actually feel fatter.