LADIES: Losing weight after 40... :-|

Options
I used to go on a diet for 4 or 5 weeks. I lost about 2 or 3 pounds every week and i reached my goal very fast.
The weight stayed off and everything was nice and easy!

Now that i turned 41, suddenly, loosing weight is so so so much harder!
i have been dieting for 3 months now and barely lost 3 pounds.
I did lose some inches though since i exercise 3 times per week.

BUT OMG!!! It is pretty discouraging to be putting so much effort and to have so little result..

I have an important trip coming up in 20 days and i wanted to lose 20 Lbs before my trip. That was 3 months ago.
Now i will be happy if i lost 8!

:-|

anyone have the same situation and have some tips they want to share?
thanks

Replies

• lisacrum
    lisacrum Posts: 5
    Options
    I totally understand. I'm one of those folks who can even gain weight on supplements or diets. There's so little change when I'm dieting that I just eventually give up. I mean, if you have 60 pounds to lose and it comes off like 1 pound a month, there's not a great deal of incentive. I've got an elliptical machine and have been working out 30 minutes at a time but not really seeing any change from diet with exercise versus diet and no exercise. Either way, it seems I'm almost destined to stay within a 10 pound radius of where I am now.

Hoping that a little accountability on here will help me. I'm not the meet and weigh-in every week type, so perhaps online support group will work better. Best of luck Julie!:smile:
  • lilkitties
    Options
    I hear ya. I hate how I can lose a few pounds and then gain it right back for no reason whatsoever...I can be eating the same good stuff and getting exercise or even MORE exercise and I still gain pounds back. Very frustrating! BUT I try not to weigh myself every day because some of that weight is water and some could be from weighing at the wrong time (such as on a full stomach), and some can even be from needing to use the bathroom, to put it delicately. I mean a regular BM of course, I don't advocate using laxatives like some dieters do. After 40 you just have to keep on keepin' on, regardless of what the scale says or what you feel like. You will get results, just not right away. Give yourself time and enjoy the process, as much as possible.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm 57yo with medical problems and have been successful on this diet site. Possible reasons:
    1. Drink lots of liquids, especially water.
    2. Keep sodium in check--delete deli meats, packaged salty foods, sodas
    3. Keep fat in check. If I eat fat, I try to make it the healthy fats, and I keep it at 30 or less grams per day (with saturated fats at 10g or less a day)
    4. I have a grandson who loves to run and have me chase him around the house. He runs and I speed walk.
    5. I had the thrill of watching my husband start dieting, plus, since he is the primary cook, this helps to stay within calorie goals.

I have lost 26 lbs since Feb 5, 2010 (I started on this site in early Mar 2010 and have lost about 16 of those 26 lbs in this site.)

I love it!!!!! I hope I helped a little. :drinker:
  • justahorsen
    justahorsen Posts: 234
    Options
    I am 59 and have a hypo-thyroid.....weight JUMPS onto my body LOL!!! But I have found that by cutting out foods made from dough (bread, cookies, pretzels, etc) and using the calories tracker on this site, the weight is coming off....1-2 pounds a week. Not a lot at once but steady as she goes.....Keep up what works for you and you WILL see results
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite 40...38 this month, but I've even noticed a HUGE difference. I had my daughter at 27 and went up to 172, the dropped down to 113 within a year. I had my son at 32 and went up to 200 pounds. It has taken me 6 years to get even close to my goal. Now I've started a new medication and I put on 10 lbs within 2 weeks!!! I joined MFP about 5 days ago and have even gained, 2 lbs, but I now know what I need to do. Having other people to talk to and help keep you on track is wonderful!
    So yeah, don't give up!
    You can add me also as a friend!
    And thank you for your post!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and be consistent. You CAN do this, no matter what your age is. I am 49, and I may have some loose skin that won't ever be the same, but other than that, I am in the best shape of my life! I haven't weighed this little in more than 30 years. I think what held me back before was buying in to the idea that it's too hard to lose weight as you get older. Don't fall into that trap. That kind of thinking will only hold you back. Don't let it! :flowerforyou:
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    You said this
    I used to go on a diet for 4 or 5 weeks. I lost about 2 or 3 pounds every week and i reached my goal very fast.
    The weight stayed off and everything was nice and easy!
    as if a diet is something you do short term to lose weight rather than changing your overall diet to healthier eating. Generally it is recommended you change your eating habits rather than just trying to calorie starve yourself or eat healthier temporarily. Your eating habits during your "dieting" may be to blame or maybe not. Without tracking them it is difficult to know.

And you said this
    Now that i turned 41, suddenly, loosing weight is so so so much harder!
    i have been dieting for 3 months now and barely lost 3 pounds.
    I did lose some inches though since i exercise 3 times per week.

BUT OMG!!! It is pretty discouraging to be putting so much effort and to have so little result..

Here is a link to someone who discusses situations similar to yours. I have no idea if he is correct or not.

http://www.scottabel.com/publications/2010-More-on-Metabolic-Damage.pdf
  • oceans
    oceans Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It is harder to lose weight when you get older. I am 50 and for my birthday on March 2nd, I promised to lose weight and get in shape. It takes lots and lots of will power. And I do have to "kick" myself into exercising sometimes. I walk between 30-60 minutes a day, 6 days a week. This is at a fast pace wearing my Retones (Reebok). Love them. I also stick really close to my 1220 calories every day. This is not easy with a husband and kids who like all the good food! I've lost right at 13 lbs since March 3rd. And have went down a size in pants. Was able to buy size 8 dress pants this weekend. Walking is the magic trick for me. It's a new way of life.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    It is harder to lose weight when you get older. I am 50 and for my birthday on March 2nd, I promised to lose weight and get in shape. It takes lots and lots of will power. And I do have to "kick" myself into exercising sometimes. I walk between 30-60 minutes a day, 6 days a week. This is at a fast pace wearing my Retones (Reebok). Love them. I also stick really close to my 1220 calories every day. This is not easy with a husband and kids who like all the good food! I've lost right at 13 lbs since March 3rd. And have went down a size in pants. Was able to buy size 8 dress pants this weekend. Walking is the magic trick for me. It's a new way of life.
    I know everybody says it's harder, but I've been surprised that it wasn't nearly as hard as I told myself it would be. It may take a little longer than it does when you're younger, but it's still well worth the effort. I feel the same way about this as I did about quitting smoking. I quit after smoking 20+ years, and the thing that occurred to me then was that I hadn't tried very hard before because I had been convinced it would be too difficult. With all due respect, I think we need to stop telling ourselves that worthwhile things are going to be hard to do.
  • lisacrum
    lisacrum Posts: 5
    Options
    Ladies, you're very encouraging. We may not get back to our 19-year old bodies, but at least we don't have to COMPLETELY go to seed! :bigsmile:

I'm not sure how much weight I'll actually lose while being a part of this group, but at least it's helping me get my mind right. That's an even bigger challenge than buttoning my jeans...in times past I would have zero motivation and all at once, for no apparent reason, would wake up one day with focus. I'm hoping this time to do the same. After you fall off the wagon as many times as I have, the last thing you feel like doing is getting on the bull horn and announcing to the whole world that you're going on another diet, but when you become part of a group of women who share the same struggles (and perhaps have skinned your knees falling a few times too) it's not so bad. Shame for previous failures can keep us too discouraged to even try, or we can shake it off and keep going.

I've got to at least succeed part of the time...and if I do, that means I'm not always failing! Good luck, ladies. It's a journey...
  • julie2c
    julie2c Posts: 6
    Options
    Sometimes dieting IS something you do for a little while only.
    For some pple, the goal is only 5 to 10 LBS and it does go away fast when you are younger.

I am not in any need to be on a permanent diet. my eating habits are good and i exercise on a regular basis.
    Pregnancy and medication however make all good efforts useless.

Which is why, for a quick weight gain sometimes you need a quick weight loss.
  • julie2c
    julie2c Posts: 6
    Options
    thanks for all the input everyone.

i think the tips about lowering sodium intake and augmenting water intake is a very wise one.
    i need to keep that in mind.

I also have to say that this is the first time ever that i am actually enjoying exercising.
    i do not do it because i have to but because i enjoy it!

it makes a difference and yes it allows me to enjoy the road, not only the destination!

thanks again
    :flowerforyou: