Want to start lifting: what weight?

Options
khall86790
khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
So after months of stalking posts about how lifting is beneficial to women and helps to create a form that cardio will not, I want in! I only have maybe 5lbs left to lose and to be honest I don't care about my weight, I want to lose the excess body fat at this point and I've already dropped around 30lbs (In total, before MFP) so I want to try lifting now.

I just moved in to an apartment and someone left a 12.5kg weight here, she told me she was using it for ab workouts and it made me curious if I can do the same or if I'd need to start out on a lower weight?
I have been doing a lot of cardio and also some body weight training, although I'll admit I don't think I have great upper arm strength.
Although I have read that the heavier the weight and lower repetitions, the more you are building muscle? Is that correct?
I would like to know from an experienced female/male lifter please where I am best to start and also which exercises at home would be best for this?
As I've just moved, I'm still scoping out a good and affordable gym.
To give you an idea of my diet & regime;
I run 3-4 times a week for about 30 minutes but this is on a slow incline so I would like to be up to about 5 times a week at 35-40 minutes in a month or so. I eat at least to my TDEE (without a deficit) as I am keen to build muscle now and I've been cutting for about 6 months already.

Replies

• katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

start by reading. this site will keep you busy for months. not that you have to wait to start, just understand the fundamentals first.
    your nutrition and training will be different depending on your goals.
    if your goal is to build muscle. you need to focus on lifting primarily, and too much cardio will negatively affect your recovery, and you won't be able to lift as much.
    if your goal is to run, and the lifting is secondary, like to prevent running injuries, your schedule and nutrition will be completely different.

also read what you can in the girls who lift group. i'll send you an invite.
    body weight exercises are quite challenging. it is completely fine to start with those.
    you are your own gym
    nerd fitness
    convict conditioning
    -all good places to start

i can't tell you which routine is best for your goals without knowing which is most important, as mentioned above.
    if you are building muscle, you'll need to . do a slight bulking program, which is actually not much more calories than your maintenance, and not like it sounds.

as far as a good gym
    you want it to be convenient, but also have power rack(s) in the free weights area.
    not every gym has them. lots more info re: entering the free weights area
    and choosing a gym in the girls who lift group.

also feel free to ask me anything. i'm new to heavy lifting, but not new to
    reading about it, lifting moderate weight, and nutrition.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    What weight you start with depends upon the programme you start with.

For instance Stronglifts will have you start with a raw barbell and then progressively add weight. All Pro's will have you test out your 10 RM's for each exercise in the programme (the amount of weight that you can lift for 10 repetitions) and have you start with that. I'm not sure what NROL4W does, but in the later books he advocates variants of the exercises depending upon your strength (ie a dumbbell variant, a single leg varient or a barbell variant), so you could tailor the programme to your experience and weight available.

In short, you need to decide which of the established (as in they get results) beginners routine you want to do, based on a quick look at them and in consideration of the equipment you have available to you. You won't get very far with a couple of 12kg dumbbells I'm afraid, beginners strength adaptions will have you outpace them rapidly and you need to progressively increase weights in order to progress...... you'll either have to invest in some basic equipment (barbell, rack, bench) or find a good gym with these things (a lot of gyms are not good and don't have basic free-weight equipment available, don't join a gym that just has machines if you're serious about lifting)
  • khall86790
    Options

start by reading. this site will keep you busy for months. not that you have to wait to start, just understand the fundamentals first.
    if your goal is to build muscle. you need to focus on lifting primarily, and too much cardio will negatively affect your recovery, and you won't be able to lift as much.
    if your goal is to run, and the lifting is secondary, like to prevent running injuries, your schedule and nutrition will be completely different.

body weight exercises are quite challenging. it is completely fine to start with those.
    you are your own gym
    nerd fitness
    convict conditioning

i can't tell you which routine is best for your goals without knowing which is most important, as mentioned above.
    if you are building muscle, you'll need to . do a slight bulking program, which is actually not much more calories than your maintenance, and not like it sounds.

as far as a good gym
    you want it to be convenient, but also have power rack(s) in the free weights area.

Thanks so much for the lengthy reply! I was really informative.
    To be honest, I am pretty happy with the shape of my body and I now just want to build muscle on my arms and stomach to firm everything up. But I also love running and I'm not sure I could give it up but I could definitely lower the amount I run (for example I could go just 2 times a week for a longer time) if it means my lifting and definition would improve? I used to run for fitness but now I run as it clears my mind and improves my general outlook on things, it's not something I'd want to give up completely if I can help it!

I got your invite, going to join the group now.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
    ^all pro beginner routine

http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/official-starting-strength-guide-for-fitocrats/
    learn as much as you can about the techniques of compound lifts.
    reading about them and watching youtube videos with rippletoe teaching them.
  • khall86790
    Options
    What weight you start with depends upon the programme you start with.

For instance Stronglifts will have you start with a raw barbell and then progressively add weight. All Pro's will have you test out your 10 RM's for each exercise in the programme (the amount of weight that you can lift for 10 repetitions) and have you start with that. I'm not sure what NROL4W does, but in the later books he advocates variants of the exercises depending upon your strength (ie a dumbbell variant, a single leg varient or a barbell variant), so you could tailor the programme to your experience and weight available.

In short, you need to decide which of the established (as in they get results) beginners routine you want to do, based on a quick look at them and in consideration of the equipment you have available to you. You won't get very far with a couple of 12kg dumbbells I'm afraid, beginners strength adaptions will have you outpace them rapidly and you need to progressively increase weights in order to progress...... you'll either have to invest in some basic equipment (barbell, rack, bench) or find a good gym with these things (a lot of gyms are not good and don't have basic free-weight equipment available, don't join a gym that just has machines if you're serious about lifting)

Thanks, yeah this is why I've held off on a gym so far as I'm interested to see what kind of equipment would be best and make sure it's available to me.
  • khall86790
    Options
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
    ^all pro beginner routine

http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/official-starting-strength-guide-for-fitocrats/
    learn as much as you can about the techniques of compound lifts.
    reading about them and watching youtube videos with rippletoe teaching them.

Amazing, thank you :)
  • katy_trail
    Options

you are your own gym
    nerd fitness
    convict conditioning

as far as a good gym

Thanks so much for the lengthy reply! I was really informative.
    To be honest, I am pretty happy with the shape of my body and I now just want to build muscle on my arms and stomach to firm everything up. But I also love running and I'm not sure I could give it up but I could definitely lower the amount I run (for example I could go just 2 times a week for a longer time) if it means my lifting and definition would improve? I used to run for fitness but now I run as it clears my mind and improves my general outlook on things, it's not something I'd want to give up completely if I can help it!

I got your invite, going to join the group now.

yes this is fine. you could 2 up to 2 days of intense cardio, like Hiit or intervals, or some other cardio if you wanted something different. or 2 longer sessions of steady state cardio. light cardio won't impact lifting much, so you could for example, do 1 session of intervals, 1 of steady state, and if you prefer getting outside daily add in some light walking for fresh air, dog walking etc. generally, you'll want to do a lifting program 3 x a week, either something like strong lifts where the lifts are broken up, or 3 days of full body workouts like the all pro.

example:
    M lifting
    T steady state
    W Lifting
    TH intervals
    F Lifitng
    and your weekends off
    make sure you have rest days.
    your muscle is built on rest days,
    we're not super women we can't build muscle
    30 min in the gym.

each lifting session will likely be around 30-45 min

edited for spelling
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting helps to offset osteoporosis so I highly recommend it. Find a routine that works for you and stick with it. Watch YouTube videos to learn the right form, or hire a personal trainer for a couple of months. You don't want to get injured using improper technique. The best of luck to you.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    As said above, strong lifts is a pretty good program; you eventually will get burned out due to the volume, and may want to switch to a slightly lower volume program. The most important thing I'd say is find someone who knows what they are doing. You need your own "bro-fessor", to make sure your arching your back when you should, getting low enough, etc. Best of luck, just started lifting about ~1.5 months ago, enjoying it a lot
  • khall86790
    Options
    As said above, strong lifts is a pretty good program; you eventually will get burned out due to the volume, and may want to switch to a slightly lower volume program. The most important thing I'd say is find someone who knows what they are doing. You need your own "bro-fessor", to make sure your arching your back when you should, getting low enough, etc. Best of luck, just started lifting about ~1.5 months ago, enjoying it a lot

Thanks. Yeah I am thinking of maybe looking for a gym where I can get a trainer to show me the ropes and make sure I'm doing everything with correct form as it's totally new to me.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    Also wanted to add, regarding goals, try to keep an open mind.
    As long as you're progressing, it doesn't matter how fast your progress is.
    try not to compare yourself to others. or set strength goals.
    instead focus on making your training, nutrition, and recovery as consistent high quality as possible.
    if any of those are not where they need to be, your progress will suffer.
    how much you're lifting isn't as important, as long as you're improving.
    today you're starting with body weight, tomorrow the bar, next year the moon.

and get rid of your scale now. or use it as little as possible.
    constant water fluctuations, swelling fluctuations, you'll drive yourself into the ground.
    use a measuring tape, but only when the swelling is down, which will only be a few times a month
    at most. only measure after 2 days of rest from lifting. so the swelling goes down.
    don't even attempt to measure or use the scale during tom week.
    best time to measure is a few days after tom. first thing in the morning.
  • bmarie612
    bmarie612 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katy_trail
    Options

Thanks. Yeah I am thinking of maybe looking for a gym where I can get a trainer to show me the ropes and make sure I'm doing everything with correct form as it's totally new to me.

this can be helpful. but many trainers and lifters don't know what they are doing.

trust yourself. go by how it feels as you're doing it.. pay close attention when you're reading. something like stong lifts where he goes into detail on each lift, read them over as many times as needed. and read more. the mirror can be helpful, but mostly you have to go by how it feels, have someone video it. looking in the mirror would mess up your form for most exercises.
    and form can always be improved. no matter how many years they have been lifting.

what's most important is learning great form now. don't get excited and try to lift too much too fast.
    injuries now and later, stalls, there's just nothing good.
    you want a steady linear progression, and to be
    as injury free as possible.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    this can be helpful. but many trainers and lifters don't know what they are doing.
    Indeed. The very first trainer I ever went to put me on machines.

The second trainer I went to put me on isolation exercises dumbbells and crunches, crunches, crunches.

Then I started stronglifts and after a few weeks, went to a trainer for form correction. He let all kinds of form mistakes (I found out later, the hard way) slip by while he tried to talk me into moving into a low carb diet.

The fourth trainer, took a look at me the first week, made some minor adjustments, the second week wanted to "assess" where I was at and had me do all this TRX crap*. The third week, he told me looking to the ceiling would keep my knees from going over my toes (it doesn't).

My last trainer said my form looked good, and then showed me a bunch of exercises to improve my squat strength. He neglected to comment on how my knees came in as I stood up, my tailbone rounding under at the bottom, or how my wrists were bent way back.

Don't be afraid to ask the trainer questions about his philosophies on lifts, form, and technique before you sign up. Try to get a quick assessment and do a flat back bench press and move your feet a lot. If he tells you good, and doesn't talk about arching your back and stopping your leg movement so you can engage them, don't bother.

* I'm not dissing TRX. It has a lot of value for a lot of people. Many people have gotten great results from TRX. It just doesn't match my goals and what motivates me. Even after telling the trainer about these goals and motivations, he had me do it. And, just like I thought, it didn't really match up with what I wanted.
  • khall86790
    Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the extra comments on this! I do have a mirror at home so I am considering maybe working with the weights I have here to begin with in order to work on my form whilst searching for a gym with good equipment and an area I can really keep an eye on myself.

My boyfriend is interested in lifting too so maybe if I can get him involved we can help each other to maintain correct form as we read up about it online. I don't want to get conflicting or bad advice from a trainer, I'd rather get it wrong from myself than from someone else. Ha ha!
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    bumppp
  • Project_Jodie
    Project_Jodie Posts: 171
    Options
    bumping for later! need time to read all this great info!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the extra comments on this! I do have a mirror at home so I am considering maybe working with the weights I have here to begin with in order to work on my form whilst searching for a gym with good equipment and an area I can really keep an eye on myself.

My boyfriend is interested in lifting too so maybe if I can get him involved we can help each other to maintain correct form as we read up about it online. I don't want to get conflicting or bad advice from a trainer, I'd rather get it wrong from myself than from someone else. Ha ha!

Just a little heads-up (pun intended) about using a mirror to check form. It tends to make your neck in an unnatural position as you lift. A neutral neck is better. You would be better to film yourself doing the lifts and then watch it back after, compare with recognised good form (from good books or noted youtube vids), make notes and make adjustments the next time you lift.

If you want to know about mechanics of the main lifts, Starting Strength by Rippetoe goes into unbelievable detail on them and can be read and re-read to mine more tips. The youtube series by EliteFTS "So you think you can Squat?" and "So you think you can Bench?" contain tips that will stand you in good stead going forward.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Great info!