Honey!!

Options
Adirafox
Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
I've had a bad sore throat for a week now, and I've started coughing and sneezing. I'm pretty sure Texas allergies are to blame. I have had great success with eating honey daily to make my symptoms go away, but now I want some new ideas for using it, especially since MFP just lowered my daily calorie allotment to reflect my lower weight :(

This morning, I had about 1.5 tsp on one half of a sandwich thin.

I also plan to add it to smoothies for sweetness.

What are other healthy ways to consume honey daily?

Please don't suggest oatmeal, as I am in Texas and it's officially summer and it's WAY TOO HOT for hot oatmeal, and honey doesn't dissolve well in overnight oats.

Replies

• JackieAC1951
    JackieAC1951 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I put a teaspoon of honey in my coffee along with a half of teaspoon of coconut oil.
    There is a very good article about the benefits of honey and cinnamon mixed together.
    http:/www.naturalnews.com/039963_cinnamon_honey_healing.html.
    I also have a small successful baking business in which I use Tupelo Honey in most of my breads, granola, and muffins.
  • Dgold13
    Dgold13 Posts: 14
    Options
    Peanut butter and honey on rye toast = Awesome lunch or breakfeast.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I put it in oatmeal.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I bake homemade bread that calls for honey, and also do baked oatmeal that has honey in it. This can be eaten hot or cold but since it is prepared hot and baked the honey does dissolve completely.
  • Adirafox
    Options
    I put it in oatmeal.

Yeah, thanks for that one. :P
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    eating local honey helps with building immunities to allergies btw.

Honey can be had many ways. Nutella + honey sammihc. Honey + cream cheese sammich. roasted almond on a spoonful of honey is one of my favs. Or just get a spoonful of honey :)
  • Adirafox
    Options
    During the week I drink tea at work, so I put honey in that, but I do not like the taste of honey in coffee. Defeats the purpose of having a relaxing cup of coffee on a Saturday or Sunday morning if it tastes bad.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    if you like nuts and honey, this would come in handy.

Roughly chop roasted almonds, roasted walnuts, roasted pecans, roasted pistachios and roasted cashews. Them them in a jar so the jar is filled with the nuts. Then put honey on it. They honey should be used purely as a "glue" for the nut mixture. It is a highly nutritious and delicious snack. Enjoy
  • SMFRN
    SMFRN Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I usually put it in my tea or in yogurt. My son loves in just by itself.
  • Adirafox
    Options
    if you like nuts and honey, this would come in handy.

Roughly chop roasted almonds, roasted walnuts, roasted pecans, roasted pistachios and roasted cashews. Them them in a jar so the jar is filled with the nuts. Then put honey on it. They honey should be used purely as a "glue" for the nut mixture. It is a highly nutritious and delicious snack. Enjoy

OMG, yum.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt and honey with some cinnamon and hemp hearts! I eat just like that or I dip apple slices in or I also sometimes cut up a banana and add that. :) Or if you make your own almond milk you can use the honey as the sweetener.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You don't eat hot food for breakfast in summer? :huh: :tongue: I was gonna say oatmeal too (along with Greek yogurt, fresh berries, walnuts and cinnamon - makes it "cooler"), and I live in Fresno, which is also quite toasty in summer. :smile:

Anyway - I also use it in plain Greek yogurt mixed with berries - great snack.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    mix cinnamon honey with fat free plain greek yogurt and a banana.. dessert! or an awesome breakfast. lol
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I have this rule never to eat anything that has been eaten and then vomited up by another creature. Don't know why I'm funny that way.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Honey keeps your apple slices from turning brown! Plus, the liquid that accumulates on the fruit from the mixture of juice and honey is divine...
  • chicagospeechie
    chicagospeechie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    fage 0% unsweetened greek yogurt w/ 1TB honey and cinnamon. tastes like dessert but 18g of protein and 160 calories.
  • DancesWithBirds
    DancesWithBirds Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Honey is my go-to sweetener. I use it in EVERYTHING: oatmeal (instead of sugar), plain greek yogurt (instead of flavored yogurt), pancakes and french toast (instead of jam or syrup), tea, peanut butter sandwiches, in home made bread, on baked yams and carrots...

If you haven't already, find a good source of local raw honey. It's gaining in popularity and contains benefits that pasturized national market honey does not.
  • Raybug0903
    Raybug0903 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    1. Spoon out 1 TBS of peanut butter from jar
    2. Drizzle a little honey on top
    3. Lick off spoon and enjoy :)
  • Adirafox
    Options
    1. Spoon out 1 TBS of peanut butter from jar
    2. Drizzle a little honey on top
    3. Lick off spoon and enjoy :)

I already have a bit of a peanut butter problem....I don't think this would help! lol

Funny thing is I've used it several times today! (now that it is in my head, I guess) I used it in my green smoothie and made a honey dijon salad dressing.

I do need to hunt down a local source, but I'm lucky in that we have HEB here and they carry a lot of local products, so the honey is at least from Texas.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I think this thread jinxed me... i am definitely coming down with a cold. LOL Guess i'll be making honey tea in a minute. and lemon water.