Ladies, what kind of vitamins do you take?

Options
2stepscloser
2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
I am infamous for not remembering to take a multi vitamin but some of my friends swear by them so I figured I'd start. Of course, the ones that I had in the house have expired so before I buy new, I was curious to know what brands others like.

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    vitamin D. That's all. I don't take a multi, I don't feel its necessary since the vitamins and minerals in most of them are pretty poorly absorbed by the body - all you end up with is expensive pee.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I take a chewable multi-vitamin, fish oil, calcium and a fortified protein powder. You should study up on recommended supplements for your age group. For instance, I am over 50 so I avoid iron supplements. Also, consider having a doctor's check-up with blood work to find out if you are deficient in some nutrient. I have found that applying general recommendations and then self-diagnosing is not always healthy. For instance, I cut way back on salt because I had heard and then saw so many posts on MFP about the evilness of sodium. When I had my blood tested a couple of months ago, my sodium level was too low. My doctor recommended that I increase my intake of sodium. All those months of salt deprivation were a complete waste.
  • stephelan
    stephelan Posts: 81
    Options
    I only take three:
    Vitamin D is important - you get it from the SUN.
    Iron - Women lose a lot of this monthly so take it if you can!
    Fish Oil - Alzheimer's runs in my family and this is good for the brain.

However, I'm bad at taking vitamins too. So I found all of these (plus a multi for ****s and giggles and because it was on sale) in GUMMI form. Except for the iron ones so I had to buy those in Flintstones form. They have adult gummi vitamins and I haven't missed a day yet because they're delicious and fun and I'm secretly five years old.
  • strum261
    strum261 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have never taken any vitamins or supplements and have always been very healthy. I recently found this website, which I found very interesting. www.scoobysworkshop.com. He talks about vitamins and supplements.
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I was taking a women's once daily, generic brand. Now I take a pre-natal, also generic brand.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I take One a Day for Women Over 50. I was taking fish oil, but haven't remembered to buy more.
  • brooke_young08
    Options
    I drink Shakeology, which has TONS of vitamins in it. I also take fish oil w/resveratrol, calcium, and an antioxidant super-blend. I have a hard time swallowing big horse pills, so these are all chewables!

PS, if you have any questions about the Shakeology, message me :flowerforyou:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I just take a multivitamin, a calcium one and sometimes flaxoil. I don't take then everyday maybe 3 times a week?
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I take 2 vitamin supplements: iron and a b vitamin complex.

The brand of iron that I found that works the best is Nature's Blend Ferrous Gluconate. It absorbs well and does not cause constipation.

I also take the Whole Foods Brand B complex vitamins. So far so good.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Prenatal (generic) here too, on advice of my Dr, and Hairdresser

I'm 55, so I dont need it for its intended use ;p