Plantar Fasciitis .... please help!

Options
13»

Replies

• conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live, try to find a physical therapist or chiropractor that practices dry needling (it's not approved in all states). It's similar to acupunture but targets differently. If you can't find dry needling in your area, I would suggest acupuncture.

I had a terrible case of plantar fascitis 2 years ago and ended up walking with a cane. I went to my physical therapist and he did 6 or so sessions of dry needling on my feet and calves. I had relief after the first treatment and could walk without the cane. Each treatment I was progressively better and I haven't had a relapse since.

If you want more details, you can private message me.
  • rjc0914
    rjc0914 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Superfeet insoles...they are stiffer than he gel ones you see everywhere. Got a some a couple of years ago and started wearing them in all my shoes and within a few months it was gone after 2 years of suffering with PF. Do your stretches too!
  • CCCWHACKO
    CCCWHACKO Posts: 2
    Options
    Do you stretch BEFORE you get out of bed in the morning?? Also, wall stretches as soon as you get out of bed worked for me in the past. I had it so bad that I actually was given a cortisone shot in the bottom of my heel. I will NEVER do that again, by far the MOST painful procedure. SO, I have to stretch and stretch some more.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I dont think anyone has inferred that minimalist /barefoot running is a form of treatment for PF, but rather a means of prevention.

Modern running shoes weaken the feet and generally weak feet dont develop PF.

I was absolutely inferring that minimalist/barefoot is a form of treatment for PF. I'm not saying go out and start running barefoot, but gradually work your way to going minimalist most of the time. I'm convinced that's what cured my PF, due to the strengthening and stretching of the muscles and tendons in the feet that have pretty much been immobilized for years by conventional shoes.

I'll vote for both treatment and prevention, but only to a point. I've been exclusively minimalist for over a year. I had PF for awhile before making the switch, but I did so gradually, over a period of close to four months. As my minor leg and foot muscles strengthened and stretched, the PF lessened, and then went away.
  • kerrigbell
    kerrigbell Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I am currently resting, icing, wearing a boot on and off during the day, doing some trigger point massage, stretching and rolling a tennis ball under my foot three or four times day. Since I posted, I have seen a slight improvement. Will continue to rest for a couple more days and then hopefully ease back into exercising. I am also hoping to get to a running store within the next couple of days to see if I can get fitted for a good pair of shoes and speak with an "expert" in shoes. Maybe the worst is over...although I think I'm going to have to be very conscious of it and not overdo when I feel it coming on again. Thanks again...I really appreciate all the suggestions and advice.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the posts already written so this maybe repeated.

I had PF a couple of years ago and made a few changes. You shouldn't have to needlessly suffer from PF for years like many people have. I had it and did some research/talked with some people about it and found a way for me to get rid of my PF quite quickly.

Long term: your feet are weak, you need to strengthen them. Quit using cushioned shoes, orthotics, and crazy expensive brands and go for minimalist. Don't believe me? Read the book Born to Run--totally worth it (It's changed the way I live).

Short term: do feet strengthening work outs (google it and the exercises will pop up). These exercises are more stretches and grabbing things with your toes than anything else. I HIGHLY recommend getting a reflexology massage with a reputable therapist, as well as getting your feet adjusted by a chiropractor. I did both of these within days of each other and my PF was completely gone. In short, the tendons needed to be put back on "track" by the chiropractor and the lactic acid build up in my feet was rubbed out by the reflexologist. Afterward, it felt like I was walking on pillows--amazing! However, the PF will come back if you don't make changes in the way you treat your feet (see long term goal).

I hope this helps :)

Karrie

Hello Karrie.

Born to Run was a great read and I hated for the book to end, I wanted more. It changed the way I run as well. I am running in NB Minimus, and though not happy with the quality, love the shoe. I am interested in the Merrell Road Glove.

What shoe are you running in?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I saw a podiatrist who gave me arch supports (off the shelf, not custom made) and prescribed stretches for the calf muscles. That pretty much took care of it.

If you have access to a gym there is still a lot of exercise you can do with a raging case of PF. Rowing machine, stationary bike, weights, swimming. Or just biking outdoors.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Definitely get some orthotics and new shoes!
  • kerrigbell
    kerrigbell Posts: 23
    Options
    [/quote]

Born to Run was a great read and I hated for the book to end, I wanted more. It changed the way I run as well. I am running in NB Minimus, and though not happy with the quality, love the shoe. I am interested in the Merrell Road Glove.

[/quote]

A friend of mine just sent me Chi Running, which is quite intriguing. Is it similar to Born to Run? I am currently running in Nike Free shoes.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    There is misinformation about causes and cures for PF - - even amongst people in the medical community. What works for some, may not work for you. The very best thing you can do is develop a relationship with a physical therapist or a podiatrist - one who really cares about getting your pain level manageable.

I suffered for 8+ yrs - have it in both my feet. For me, nothing short of surgery worked...I have had surgery on both feet now...and am able to mostly be pain-free now...........but for most people, ice, elevation, rest, good supportive shoes, orthotics, time, luck.......or a combination of all of these will help.

Ice works short term to NUMB the pain - - and sometimes this is all I needed to get me at least in the frame of mind to do SOME exercise (water aerobics...nothing full-weight-bearing). A night splint that i found super comfortable and somewhat effective was www.thesock.com

GOOD LUCK and hang in there - - hope you find a good PT or podiatrist to help you get pain free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    thought i had it a few weeks ago it freaked me out!! *sending love*
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Ive suffered with PF for a couple of years and until recently could barely walk first thing in the morning. I couldn't afford expensive orthotics so I ordered ones I saw online called Walkfit. They have changed my life!! I'm now doing the C25k program and can run for the first time in years. I'm not saying they will work for everyone but they certainly worked for me. Also fill a small pop bottle with water & keep it in the freezer, this works wonders when you roll your arch over it, especially after exercise. good luck, I feel your pain. :(
  • bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    Options
    Swimming. Been the best solution for me. My doctor recommended low impact like elliptical and swimming for both PF and heel spurs I have developed because I was too stupid to go see the doctor in the first place. Now the heel spurs hurt more than the PF.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

[/quote]

A friend of mine just sent me Chi Running, which is quite intriguing. Is it similar to Born to Run? I am currently running in Nike Free shoes.
    [/quote]

Though Ive heard about "Chi Running" I havent read it, but since you say it's intriguing I guess I will put it on my list. "Born to Run" is entertaining, informative and insightful. It is one that I will read again.

Seems there are a lot who are running in the N Frees & I havent heard anything negative, which speaks well.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies but I don't think that I saw anything about how this comes about. Did everyone's PF come on by itself? I remember when mine started. I was in a hurry and simply stepped wrong on my left foot. Instant pain that continued for a long time.