Tracking water consumption - what counts?

Options
2»

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    what's if it's ice?

does it count?

troublemaker!

thumb-nose.gif
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Why do people have to make drinking water complicated?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/drinking-enough-water-topic-overview

An extract from that article:
    Do you have to drink only water to stay hydrated?
    All liquids help you stay hydrated. Water is usually the best choice, because it’s free (if you’re drinking tap water) and has no sugar or calories. But most healthy people can get enough fluid through the beverages they consume every day. These can include water, fruit juices, coffee, sodas, iced tea, and other drinks.

Experts say that it's not true that beverages that have caffeine-such as coffee, tea, and cola drinks-always dehydrate you. Healthy people who consume moderate amounts of caffeine don't lose more fluid than people who don't have any caffeine.1 A moderate amount of caffeine is about 200 to 300 milligrams a day. That's about two to four 8-ounce cups of coffee.

You don't need water. Milk, tea, coffee, some fruits; everything counts towards your intake of water.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Why do people have to make drinking water complicated?

drinking water. harder than rocket science!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    what's if it's ice?

does it count?

You have to take into account the negative cal created because your body has to warm it to body temp. :laugh:
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Apparently it only works if it's complicated!!! :noway:
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    water in all fluids and foods contributes to your daily hydration balance. No point in added a large water intake to a large coffee / tea intake.

This is pretty much how I feel. Water is the main ingredient in most all beverages, so I just track how many ounces of fluid I take in, not necessarily only water consumption. When I get to the point where I have to pee every hour or less I cut back, fully hydrated at that point.
  • AbnormalYak
    AbnormalYak Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    According to the British Dietetic Association "Tea and coffee (and some soft drinks such as cola) do contain caffeine, which is a
    mild diuretic (makes you want to urinate) so in large amounts this could result in dehydration. However the style of tea and coffee and the amounts we drink in the UK are unlikely to have a negative effect so the good news is that tea and coffee can count towards your fluid intake." (http://www.bda.uk.com/news/110610DehydrationWeek.pdf)

That's good enough for me - tea counts!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why I can't count a cup of tea. It's 99.9% water. If I drank a glass of water and then ate a teabag I'd count the water. What's the difference? Why are we tracking water anyway? To make sure we get enough fluid, I suppose. So all fluid should count.

It does. Ignore advice from people who say water with X in counts but water with tea in doesn't. They're talking nonsense so stick to your common sense.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    WATER
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    ENGLISH TEA WITH MILK HAS CALERIES THAT GOES ON FOOD DIARY
    I DONTT WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT WATER INTAKE AND I PUT IT UNDER MEALS AND SNACKS ANYWAYS
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why I can't count a cup of tea. It's 99.9% water. If I drank a glass of water and then ate a teabag I'd count the water. What's the difference? Why are we tracking water anyway? To make sure we get enough fluid, I suppose. So all fluid should count.
    Your conclusion is correct.