Ammonia smell after running

Options
brower47
brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
I've finally gotten back into running (still at very much a jogging pace with some walking still thrown in) after a five year hiatus and I've been reminded of something that used to happen to me. After runs, for about an hour, if I take deep breaths, I get a bit of an ammonia smell. It's not coming off of my body (external), I'm pretty sure it's part of my respiration.

My questions:

Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone know what it is?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It's because your body has run out of carbs to burn and has begun burning amino acids for energy.

Eat more carbs throughout the day.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I've finally gotten back into running (still at very much a jogging pace with some walking still thrown in) after a five year hiatus and I've been reminded of something that used to happen to me. After runs, for about an hour, if I take deep breaths, I get a bit of an ammonia smell. It's not coming off of my body (external), I'm pretty sure it's part of my respiration.

My questions:

Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone know what it is?
    Means you're burning lean tissue for energy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I guess I need to eat something BEFORE my morning run. Hmmm, I guess I need to get up even earlier. I don't like the sound of burning lean tissue. Sorta defeats the purpose of my weight training regimen.

Thank you so much for the informative responses. I knew there was a reason I liked this site!