Asparagus...

Options
... looking for ways to cook it. Go.

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    My favourite way is to steam it for about 4 minutes, so that it's more tender but not completely cooked, then blanch it in cold water. I then pat it dry, rub a tiny bit of oil on and put it on a hot griddle for a couple more minutes. Just before serving, I drizzle a little balsamic vinegar on it.
  • Gmtribble90
    Gmtribble90 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Grilled on the George Foreman with a little PAM butter-flavored cooking spray, garlic powder, and pepper :)
  • klp1017
    klp1017 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Add a small amount of olive oil and put in the oven at 350 for 15 min or so until crispy. So good.
  • bokchoybaby
    bokchoybaby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I squeeze a ton of fresh lemon juice on it and add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. I finish with a drizzle of olive oil and pop it in the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes. It's also good chopped and added to stir fries. Sometimes I steam it with a clove or two of garlic. I blend that together with unsweetened almond milk, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast (presumably dairy milk and parm would work in place of the almond milk and nutritional yeast). I even eat it raw dipped in hummus but that might be an acquired taste.
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I roast it...toss it with some olive oil, cook at 425 for about 25 minutes (I like it a little crispy), then drizzle with a bit of balsamic! YUM!!!
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Drizzle with some olive oil, sea salt, and cracked black pepper. Then roast it.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've always loved steamed asparagus. That is until two days ago, when my husband served it up with chicken and mash... And a steamed caterpillar in a pool of greed fluid. Just about boked all over my plate!
    If its bug-free then steamed is best!
  • Coolchameleon
    Options
    I saw a picture of grilled asparagus and it looked to die for! Yummo :) Great recipe idea!
  • anewme1202
    anewme1202 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Either toss it in the pan with a little EVOO, sprinkle with pepper (or Mrs. Dash), or I do the same thing on the grill. Easy and tasty.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Easiest way? Wash it so a little water is on it then nuke it in a covered bowl for about 2 minutes. If you have the calories to spare, add a pad of butter before putting it in the microwave. The boiling butter will foam up all over asparagus and make it yummy to the extreme.
  • laurabeth326
    laurabeth326 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Mine have been mentioned already but they're delicious! I always roast or grill it. And it's awesome roasted with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Wrap in in BACON! :love:

Cook bacon halfway, then wrap 1/2 a slice around a raw stalk each and broil it in the oven.
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Grilled....wrapped in parma ham.
  • DaWayne360
    DaWayne360 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Add a small amount of olive oil and put in the oven at 350 for 15 min or so until crispy. So good.
    This is the way I like it too but ad a little lemon juice, salt and pepper and maybe a some parm cheese.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,982 Member
    Options
    Raw in a salad.
  • 1104Jen
    1104Jen Posts: 27
    Options
    Wrap in in BACON! :love:

Cook bacon halfway, then wrap 1/2 a slice around a raw stalk each and broil it in the oven.

^this...always this.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Sea salt, garlic powder, and balsamic vinegar-roasted for about 12 minutes at 425. I also have a carmelized recipe but it is pretty heavy on butter and sugar so I don't make it very often.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Roasted with lemon juice and parmesan on it
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Wrapped in parchment with some salmon or fresh tuna and other vegetables if you don't have "enough" asparagus. Drizzle a little olive oil and your favorite seasonings over the contents before wrapping it up and then bake for about 30 minutes.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,669 Member
    Options
    I second the posters who roast it. Have only done this with green asparagus, which doesn't need peeling.

My technique is to break off the tough ends by hand. Start by trying to break about an inch away from the end, but move up the stalk if it is too tough to break there. Break wherever the stalk snaps easily. Spray with some olive oil and roast 10-12 minutes at 200C in a fan assisted oven. Sprinkle with rough salt afterwards. Some lemon, sherry vinegar or balsamic vinegar is optional.

Roasted on a charcoal BBQ is also amazing.

If it is too hot to turn the oven on, stir fry with some olive oil.